Small US Bills

john2003

I always preorder a pack of 1's, $100, to have available. Now giving multiples. New crisp bills. I guess soon will be a bundle of 5's. [emoji848]

I should say, we use them for room service, sometimes guides etc. Just nice to have small bills at the ready. On our last cruise, Lisbon to Cape Town, they ran out of change.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by potterhill

Just to clarify I can't just hand a US $20 to a Canadian bank and get 20 $1 bills back.

Why not?

I go to my local bank & ask for USD in the denominations I want

I get $1 bills if they have them on hand

I do not ask for $100 worth but can get $20-30 in $1

I have only tried once to break foreign currency into smaller bills at a bank. They would gladly do it by buying my larger bill and converting to Canadian at a fee then sell me the smaller bills also at a fee. I have never tried again.

I agree it is no problem to buy $1 bills with C$ but I am trying to avoid that.

I have only once had a problem breaking bills down on HAL and that was because they ran out of small bills. I was just trying to find out if I can on O and I think the answer is yes as long as they havent run out.

I have only tried once to break foreign currency into smaller bills at a bank. They would gladly do it by buying my larger bill and converting to Canadian at a fee then sell me the smaller bills also at a fee. I have never tried again.

You live near the US border... surely a local bank would have some USD on hand ??? :eek:

I understand about other foreign currency but most banks carry USD so exchanging a $20 USD for 20 $1 USD should not be a big issue

We do not live close to the US border & the local TD bank has US cash I often change some larger bills to smaller ones

It works both ways, too. We're just off 40 days on Nautica, and I guess this time we did a poor job of figuring what we needed in small bills, and those singles are really thick when stacked up. We checked with Reception first, then turned in our ones, fives and tens for several hundreds, reducing the bulk of taking home our excess dollars. They were happy to get the smaller bills, and we were happy to take home fewer bills.