Oasis: Bring our own Coconut/Almond milk

TEGL

I am traveling with my little one (just turned 2) he is on a Coconut/Almond milk blend so I called to see if the offer either milk on the ship. I was told that they only offer a lactose-free milk or soy milk and that they DID NOT have almond or coconut milk and I would need to bring it with me. We will probably have to brig about 4 of the 1/2 gallon cartons with us and trying to figure out where we can get those. We fly in super late the night before the ship leaves, and I know we will be unable to fly with them - especially since they have to be refrigerated and our travel will be over 15 hours that day. Also how do I bring on all of them, I don't want to pack them in my luggage.

Although I have never tried any non Refridgerator cartons of almond milk, they do carry that non refrigerated product that you can then put in the fridge to cool as you need it. If you can't get it the day of the cruise. Do note that the cooler in the cabins are very unreliable for cooling anything. Sometimes they work reasonably well and at times are [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]. Ask the cabin steward to keep what you need chilled in a fridge.[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12] Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fridges are "dorm cubes"...the space inside is very limited. You may want to switch him to something else, in preparation for this trip. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to fit 2 gals. worth of anything into that small fridge.

That said, the fridges will cool much better if you leave the cabinet door (the fridge is in a cabinet) open, so there is more airflow to the fridge.

Edited by cb at sea

The fridges are "dorm cubes"...the space inside is very limited. You may want to switch him to something else, in preparation for this trip. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to fit 2 gals. worth of anything into that small fridge.

That said, the fridges will cool much better if you leave the cabinet door (the fridge is in a cabinet) open, so there is more airflow to the fridge.

You do that and the airflow in is warm[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As Bob said, there is a Publix close to the port.

I buy almond milk at Publix all of the time. I buy 32 oz Blue Diamond Almond Breeze for home and 8 oz Silk Almondmilk for travel. My suggestion would be to bring or purchase a cloth bag and have Publix bagger double bag your almond milk. Insert the double bag with the almond milk inside the cloth bag and carry it on board. You also might want to pack some plastic zip bags in your luggage and then have your cabin attendant supply 2 times daily, ice buckets. You can put the almond milk in plastic bags with ice and store 1 or more at a time in cool box. I have never bought coconut milk but I have seen it in cans at Publix.

I personally have stored cheese, butter, juice and other items for 2 or more days in cool box without issues.

Happy Sails to You

Edited by Snit13
typo

I buy Almond milk in the non-refrigerator packs all the time. There is little to no noticeable difference in taste.

In the room, you can get ice and an ice bucket from your cabin attendant to cool the containers.

Did you call the general numbers or Special Needs? They may be better able to help you with either providing the milk or helping with refrigeration. They are very helpful.

• 10 months later...
Did you call the general numbers or Special Needs? They may be better able to help you with either providing the milk or helping with refrigeration. They are very helpful.

Yes I had sent at email to the Special Needs department prior to writing this post but was wondering if anyone had any insight. I finally heard back form them on Friday and it will all work out fine. My son can get free room service for the foods he will need when not available by MDR, so that will work out fine. One of the main reasons we stay so loyal to RCCL is because they are amazing when it comes to traveling with ASD kiddos, they truly work so hard to make the vacation an easy one for the kiddos and the parents! I am so grateful for their understanding of the struggles. special needs families face at time!

My local health foods store stocks powdered coconut milk. When mixed with water it is no different from that in the carton. There are many brands to choose from. I purchased the Native Forest brand. Amazon stocks many brands. I mix mine with a small whisk.

https://www.amazon.com/Native-Forest-Coconut-Powder-Ounce/dp/B00QIVB19Y/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1497890312&sr=1-4&keywords=powdered+coconut+milk

My local health foods store stocks powdered coconut milk. When mixed with water it is no different from that in the carton. There are many brands to choose from. I purchased the Native Forest brand. Amazon stocks many brands. I mix mine with a small whisk.

https://www.amazon.com/Native-Forest-Coconut-Powder-Ounce/dp/B00QIVB19Y/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1497890312&sr=1-4&keywords=powdered+coconut+milk

thanks for giving us ideas on how to help. The Special Needs department is taking care of us in regards to this issue so that we dont have to incur the service fees.