Rome City Stay

charlielinda

I have not. One thing I will say is that Rome is extremely doable on your own, so you may want to consider what you are getting with Celebrity for the money v. DIY.

Besides guide books like Rick Steves, there is a ton of helpful information here on CC on the Ports of Call/Italy board, including re hotels, etc., and lots of experts happy to help if you post a question. Also, a number of reputable car services to take you to Civitavecchia, and hooking up with folks on your Roll Call for that may be an option. Stay in a hotel in the Centro Storico, and you can pretty much walk everywhere you are likely to want to go.

Whatever you decide, have a great time; Rome is wonderful!

I would not use Celebrity for this, especially when there are so many great companies who do it the best. If this is a time restraint, I can understand why you would not want to do it yourself, but try to so it with a small group if possible and plan your priorities...after all, it sounds like your time is precious...Rome is absolutely wonderful and full of memories.

Maybe you could add a few more details to your question so posters can better understand your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Has anyone done the pre-cruise City Stay with Celebrity? I would love to hear your experiences. Thanks for your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just returned from Cruise, Venice & Rome 2 weeks ago. We did both Venice & Rome after the cruise and we planned, booked everything on our own. We did not go into Rome for the day trip from the Port of Civitavecchia. To much time travelling on bus we knew what we wanted to see and it would limit it thru the Cruise. Beautiful city enjoy

We were on a 12 night Celebrity cruise last year and spent our first 4 days in Rome(great decision). Our TA suggested the River Palace Hotel near Popolo Plaza. The hotel was perfect: young woman from Florida at the dront desk(she married an Italian) who was so helpful, drinks and appetizers at night at the bar and great breakfast in the morning included. Every night we walked to Popolo Plaza(across the street practically) and dined at several of their restaurants(first night we were at a restaurant and Bruce Springfield was there). The hotel was so European. Check out this hotel on Tripadvisor for details. If you book early you can get good pricing. We would stay there for sure again. Any questions, let me know.

Like others I would never book a pre cruise stay with Celebrity as it is so easy to organise it yourself.

Am staying in the city next month before an Azamara cruise. We love a gorgeous boutique hotel in the Campo di Fiori area. Can highly recommend the Lunetta

Haven't stayed in a hotel in a few years. Big fan of Airbnb and had a couple of great places summer 2014 when we were in Rome and Lucca Italy.

In Lucca we were right in the old walled city in a wonderful 1 bedroom for $85.00 US per night

9cd8e4ed-4593-48a9-894c-7555ee10c098.jpg?aki_policy=xx_large

In Rome steps from Campo de Fiori square in a studio for $125.00 US per night

626e6c2b_original.jpg?aki_policy=xx_large

We spend the savings on our hotel bill that might have been on dining and "living" instead of visiting.

Edited by A Sixth?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.. very interested in this topic since I think I can do just as well booking a fun little boutique hotel in the best location. I haven't got a set $ amount yet but considering what they are offering, I don't think its such a great deal and its at the Grand Hotel Palace (yawn).

If you stay at least three days, apartments can be a wonderful deal. We use Home Away or VRBO. We can have 4 people staying in a 3 bedroom flat for 1/2 the price of one hotel room. Rome is so easy to do on your own.

As a comparison, I looked into the Sydney City Stay from X before our planned NZ cruise. The cost was so far and away more expensive than anything I could have done on my own. I guess there is convenience in having them do your planning for you, but the cost really dissuaded me doing this. Plus, you're stuck doing what they have planned for you.

The advice from everyone above is valid. We did a group booking on our one and only trip to Rome and would never do that again. While we did have 2 "free" days to do our own thing, the rest of the time we were too constrained by the "schedule". Our next planned trip to Rome involves extra days before and after to do what we missed the last time.