Cruising same itinerary

amd1234

I receive River cruise specials daily in my inbox. We have cruised AMA, Uniworld, and Avalon. We have cruised Rhine, Danube, Burgundy and Paris & Normandy last year. Most River cruise companies are having excellent deals. Has anyone cruised the same itinerary. .? We are not interested in Asia or China. Maybe cruise a different cruise line! Thx.

I receive River cruise specials daily in my inbox. We have cruised AMA, Uniworld, and Avalon. We have cruised Rhine, Danube, Burgundy and Paris & Normandy last year. Most River cruise companies are having excellent deals. Has anyone cruised the same itinerary. .? We are not interested in Asia or China. Maybe cruise a different cruise line! Thx.

We have done the Rhine and Danube twice and not disappointed at all. The Danube the second time was done during the Christmas Markets, which were wonderful. The first Rhine trip also was on the Mosel (I believe) and the second one began in Basel, so some parts were different. Both ended in Amsterdam. But if you enjoy cruising and seeing beautiful scenery in addition to interesting ports, the Douro is something to consider. Yes, the ships do not belong to the companies, but the service and staff are still top notch. Our Douro trip was with Uniworld, which started in Lisbon and we are looking at returning at another time and beginning in Madrid and ending in Lisbon. Just our 2cents!

Cole

We've done 8 cruises so far and two of those were repeats - one was on the same line and one was with a different company. We have two more "repeats" booked. Some parts of the other cruises overlap from one itinerary to another. So far we've enjoyed 7 of the 8 itineraries but all 8 trips. Southern France with Viking had the weakest itinerary. Viking's Duoro cruise was one of our two favorites all time. We are repeating Viking's Grand European in a few months and we have already booked the Duoro on another line for next year. The Duoro usually requires booking further ahead as it's one of the newer itineraries and very popular.

We've really enjoyed seeing what we can of Europe this way as it accommodates my husband's health - good days, not so good. Every one of the crews have been wonderful on all lines. We've had one weak cruise director, one weak itinerary and one poor boat (rushed to completion) but still enjoyed the trips.

Things to consider - go at a different time of year than the first time, choose different optional tours than the first time, chose a different line as they often offer different optional tours even with the same ports, go online and find something that interests you in a port and do or go to that in lieu of the regular tour that day, hire a local guide in a port, reverse the order of the cruise so your stops might be slightly different, do something different ahead of the cruise (extra days in a port you liked or just sleep so you're up to speed when the cruise starts) and at the end of the cruise (you are awake and can enjoy the port or go on to a new one). We often fly somewhere else for a few days at the end or take a train to somewhere the rivers don't cover. That's how we fell in love with Lisbon and we've returned 3 more times.

We've also found that the optional offerings can change between the time we took the original trip and when we take it a second time even on the same cruise line - we'll have two full days in Vienna this next trip and I'm excited as it was wet, stormy and cold the only other day we've been there.

Every experience has been different and enjoyable. Don't expect to "repeat" a trip - guides, crew, weather, optionals, extra activities, guests you meet all make each one special.

I would second the idea of doing the Moselle. It's the most beautiful scenery I've found. Avalon is offering a nice itinerary next year going from Amsterdam to Basel with a side trip up and down the Moselle. It goes all the way to Thionville, France (most Moselle cruises only go to Remich Luxembourg) and includes a visit to Burg Eltz. Both of these stops are new additions to Moselle itineraries.

FuelScience

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise/the-rhine-moselle-southbound/warz/?nextyear=true

amd1234,

I have only had the chance to do one itinerary on the Danube so far. I am still in the planning process for a cruise on "my" river, the Rhine. Having said that, I would repeat the itinerary I did on the Danube. I was happy with the cruise and the company I went with. There is so much to see and when you change the season other excursions might be offered. I did not do all the tours the company offered, so I would go for the other ones and miss the regular excursions, probably do a little more DIY.

On the Rhine, itineraries can vary quite a bit, more than on other rivers I have come to notice over the last three years. This is partly due to the fact that some companies include the Moselle, take a different canal towards Amsterdam, or leave out a section of the river thereby focussing on another section more closely.

FuelScience,

we have discussed the Moselle itineraries in the respective thread in detail and I do recommend the river wholeheartedly. There is a lot of beautiful scenery to enjoy and history to explore. Combinations of Rhine and Main are possible, as are Rhine, Main and Moselle.

Another trip I could imagine doing twice is the Rhone, but not in Summer. The Seine will be covered next year by ARosa for the first time. If you want to sail with a company that has a more German-European "outlook" and European passengers (the company is German) do have a look at their itinerary when it is published. Personally, on the Seine I would only sail with a company that goes all the way to Honfleur.

Avalon has recently expanded their "river portfolio" to include the Meuse (Maas) in Belgium. Namur is a town I would love to see on that itinerary. An area again with lots of history, especially (tragically) around the two World Wars. You can also go for a themed cruise. There is anything from hiking on the Moselle (CroisiEurope) to beer on the Main (I do not remember the company exactly, could be AMAWaterways).

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

I have done the Amsterdam to Vienna/Budapest cruise four times and leave on my fifth tomorrow. I have gone in different directions and at different times of the year. Each has been great in it's own way. Many sights were repeated but on many included tours I just go out on my own.

We have done the Rhone twice and would do it again.

Also have experienced the Rhine 2x and the Danube multiple times.

If we really enjoy the line and itinerary, there is always something new to experience.

We especially enjoy AMA's theme cruises (wine and Christmas markets in particular) and those offer something different as well.

Mixed reviews on this itinerary . We have done some research and usually the ships are rented. Either you love this itinerary or hate it!

We are just back from Portugal on the AmaVida. Although the ship is leased from Douro Azul (as are most) and the staff aboard is also provided by that company, we were not at all disappointed in the ship as it was a smaller version of the other AMA ships we have cruised aboard. Staff was stellar in all areas, with the warmth and graciousness AMA always delivers.

We are glad we saw this part of Europe but for me personally, there were too many bus rides (knew this going in). The biggest negative of the itinerary IMO is that we were never docked anywhere (with the exception of the final night) where there was a town to walk into and enjoy. The scenery was stunning, the bus rides terrifying and the wines very good.

Ours was a wine cruise and having tastings during sailing time made that enjoyable for me, as I am not a sit back, look at scenery and relax type of person. I would not repeat the itinerary but am very glad we experienced it once. And our fellow travelers were a really cordial group of people.

Leaving Sunday for AMA Waterways Rhone with ore and post cruise Paris/Barcelona. Heard wonderful reviews. Will be sure to report as we go (if wifi is goo) but definitely when we return. Prior cruise was Rhine, Main and Danube. Loved Amsterdam our start city. Commercial area until you past Cologne.