Cancer on a Cruise

CherryCreekFarm

I have a few questions for seasoned cruisers. Last year, a group of us (early 30's married couples, all friends) booked a cruise on the Getaway in January 2017. Most of us are first time cruisers!

About a month ago, our best friends were rocked with the news that the husband has Stage 4 terminal cancer and the doctors are trying to buy him as much time as possible to finish off his bucket list and spend time with his wife and children. As of now, docs are saying he *should* be okay to still go on the cruise, with some stipulations. It's in between his chemo sessions so as long as his pain isn't too great, they are supportive.

Now that you have some background, here are my questions:

1. This will most definitely be his one and only cruise. What kinds of things are absolute musts for someone in that situation? If you knew you'd never go on another cruise again, what would you put on your to do list? We are on the Getaway, and our ports are: Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.

2. What would be the best way for me to contact NCL about either donating or letting me purchase a cake or a specialty dining experience, an upgrade, etc, for this couple without them knowing about it?

3. Do cruise lines rent or provide wheelchairs on board? His energy is more and more limited with each chemo session and his wife is concerned about him using up all his stores just getting around.

4. His doctors are concerned about bacteria, and as such have asked him to not spend a lot of time in soil/mud while he's at port. He really wants to go zip lining as his main hurrah somewhere. In your opinions, is this going to he possible while still following doctors orders?

5. Is there priority boarding for them that we may be able to set up for them in a case like this? What documentation would he provide to prove his need for getting on and settled quickly?

Thank you so much for all your advice and please excuse my assumptions on some of this stuff. We are first time cruisers and I'm sure I am lacking a little in my knowledge of cruise etiquette, etc.

Laura

Edited by laura.s.cherry@gmail.com

First of all, so sorry you are in this situation.

Any chance you were assigned a personal cruise consultant when you booked? Some people are and they are really amazing when it comes to setting up the little touches.

As far as an amazing experience, if it is in the price range you can afford, I would look at trying to upgrade him to a suite or haven. You get the private dining area for breakfast and lunch as well as a Butler that would take excellent care of him. Also you would get priority boarding for the ship which may also be helpful. I do not know about special privileges when boarding for people in his situation but I will keep my fingers crossed that NCL will be able to help you out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If I were him, I'd sure as hell do the zip-lining.

FYI - you should contact the administrators here about changing your username ASAP. You really don't want to use your email address, which also appears to be your full name.

I agree with staying in a suite and arranging for specialty dining, but there are some great free things too.

Sunrises and sunsets over the water are amazing. Maybe ask one of the crew when you're most likely to see any dolphins swimming alongside or in the wake of the ship.

my advice would be to get a travel agent working on this for you if you aren't already dealing with one.

If you booked directly with NCL, you're still outside final payment and can turn your bookings over to an agency.

a travel agent will be able to help you with all these things and for the most part are absolutely thrilled to play a role in a trip like this that will be remembered forever.

they can arrange for the wheelchairs, special occasion goodies and put through your requests without stressing out the rest of the group.

honestly, it won't cost you a penny more financially and it will make your arrangements so much easier.

My heart breaks and the tears flow as I am reading this !!! Please contact someone at NCL and tell them of your situation, maybe there is something they have done before in this situation before or will be willing to do in his case. I cant help but think of his wife.......as we all look forward to our cruise coming up wishing the time would go faster she is probably trying to slow time to her cruise as to cherish everyday with her husband. I commend all of you I dont know what I would do if I were in that situation.....

I really hope NCL can do something special for him and his family!!!!

I would call the Accessible Cruising Department (866-787-4955), as they can help you with numbers 3 and 5. For number 2, I would go to the restaurant a day prior to your reservations and ask to speak with the Manager and I can't imagine that they would be more than willing to get a cake for you and make sure your friend's dining experience is top notch or ask the Concierge if traveling in a suite. As far as number 4, if it were me, I'd go in a New York minute.

If anyone is traveling in a suite, the Pre-Concierge can help with things prior to the cruise and the Concierge can help with things on the cruise.

I hope you, your friend and everyone with you has a wonderful cruise.

Thank you!!!! Now I just have to figure out how to contact the admin. Gads I swear I'm generally not so inept when it comes to matters of technology. Yikes.
Try this email: community@cruisecritic.com or you can email one of the hosts: HostStar@cruisecritic.com or HostMama@cruisecritic.com Edited by NLH Arizona

First of all I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Tell them don't give up hope the right hospital and cancer treatments are key.

I personally wouldn't plan any shore excursions in advance - your friend may not be up to doing any of them by the time the cruise comes around. He may just want to relax and enjoy being on the ocean - (I know this first hand last year my husband was battling cancer (which he is now in remission - praying he stays that way) - Anyways, after each chemo treatment he was exhausted for up to 10 days afterwards and he just wanted to relax and rest since all his energy was drained).

I've heard of places that one can rent a wheelchair while on vacation - sorry don't know where though. He may want to check with his medical insurance company to see if they offer assistance in paying for a wheelchair.

One suggestion I would recommend is to have your friend avoid the buffet at all cost, raw veggies and make sure his meats are cooked thoroughly. Last year after some of my husbands chemo treatments his blood levels drop significantly and this is what the doctors told us to do to help prevent him from getting any type of food born illnesses.

You may want to have your friends find out what paperwork is needed so they can get a handicapped cabin (if any are available) that way if your friend needed to sit down while taking a shower he could and also if he needs to use a wheelchair there is more room to move around the room in.

Whatever you do try to enjoy your cruise

To upgrade the room, you should just be able to check the current price online and call NCL directly to see if there is anything they can do to help you out. There are quite a few suite options that could be really wonderful for him and his wife.

You are a really great friend to take the time to try and make this a special experience for him.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you!!!! Now I just have to figure out how to contact the admin. Gads I swear I'm generally not so inept when it comes to matters of technology. Yikes.

Below is partial copy and paste from User Names and Signatures section of Cruise Critic:

If you would like to change your user name, please send four or five choices for a new name along with the reason for the change to: help@cruisecritic.com.

While you're at it, you might tell them you mentioned the agency you booked with and ask if they'll delete that--it's against forum rules and better to point it out and ask them to change it than get a slap on the wrist.

I'm so sorry for your friend and his wife. I agree with the advice to get a good travel agent who can help set things up for you. I doubt calling NCL and telling them situation will help (I don't think they'd give them an upgrade for free), but who knows maybe they'll surprise us. It would be nice if they did do something for him, but don't expect it.

Since we don't know him, we don't know what he'd value--his wife would be the best judge of what would be a great surprise for him. I'd think a nice dinner at Cagney's or Le Bistro would be something they may enjoy. For me, the special part of cruising is sitting on my balcony and reading a book and just being on the water. What appeals to him? is he a really active, go-getter or does he enjoy quiet family time or...?? I would try to tailor a few experiences that fit with whatever it is that's meaningful to him. If I were in his position and felt up to it, I'd zip line for sure! It's something you said he's looking forward to, so book it! I would ask the doctor about the precaution about soil and mud--if he wore a mask would that help?

Best wishes to you and your friends!

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

I really hope they purchased travel insurance. My mom had a cruise booked before her cancer diagnosis, and fortunately purchased the insurance. She definitely would have been too weak to travel (diagnosed in July, cruise was in October, she passed early November). I hope he enjoys his trip, but there a hands he might not be up for it.

Sorry to hear about your friend's situation. I hope he enjoys the cruise and I would agree that ziplining would be a highlight.

As for the rest... I am a bit cynical, but I really don't think calling up NCL and telling them your friend has cancer is going to get him any special treatment. I highly doubt they are going to upgrade him to a suite for free, or even give him a cake for free. But you never know.

I'm sure they would let you purchase the upgrade or cake for him, but as far as trying to keep it a secret. I dunno, I think it'd be kind of disingenuous to let him think that NCL donated the cake when they really didn't. You are a good friend to want to do this for them, just let them know it was your treat and you were happy to be able to do this for them.

I hope you can all enjoy the cruise! Cancer has touched my family several times. I wish you and your friends all the best.

This goes without saying, and it's a downer, but I'll say it anyway, just in case: Make sure they have travel insurance that will cover cancellation, trip interruption, medical, etc. etc. If they bought a policy before the husband's diagnosis, should be fine, otherwise they need to be very sure to seek good advice about how to obtain proper coverage now.

Edit: mjkacmom beat me to it! But then I thought of another detail, even if they already have insurance, if they start adding value to the booking (upgrades etc.) this will have consequences for the coverage and they need to make sure that if amendments are made to the policy, the cancer diagnosis doesn't suddenly become an excluded pre-existing condition.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Well gracious, I'm really floundering (pun intended) over here on my first thread, aren't I? Email to the admin re: username has been sent. Thank you all for your help.

If I could find an edit option, I would delete the name of the agency we used myself. Alas, I am completely lost on this site so I'll email about that as well and risk getting a slap on the wrist.

You have all been extremely helpful and given me several things to think about and act on. Thank you!

Wow, terrible news, but what a great way to celebrate his life.

Upgrade to a Haven suite. If he's not feeling great, he'll have a butler who will deliver excellent meals to him (including from The Haven restaurant or any specialty), give extra attention, deliver snacks & water, etc. And if he's feeling great, he'll get to really enjoy the "suite life" for his first cruise. Late January is an "off peak" time, so if they can't afford the retail price, about 30 days out start calling the Upsell # (just google Norwegian Upsell phone number, you'll find it). They'll usually offer about 50% off retail ($1,500-$2,000) to move into a suite. Of course, you're taking the chance that none are left or they're not offering Upsells at that time, so if they can afford it, I'd to it.

Definitely make sure travel insurance is in place. If they have to, I would cancel & rebook, because they will probably count the cancer as a pre-existing condition if you try to purchase now (depending on the policy). Call InsureMyTrip for guidance before you cancel or book any insurance. They're great to work with.

Excursion-wise, if zip-lining is a "must do" for him, then by all means go for it! Roatan is probably your best option for height & length. As for "avoid bacteria".....I mean, come on, he has a short time on this earth either way. In his position I'd probably do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. If that meant I passed a few weeks earlier, but I checked something off my bucket list, I'd probably consider it worth it.

Well gracious, I'm really floundering (pun intended) over here on my first thread, aren't I? Email to the admin re: username has been sent. Thank you all for your help.

If I could find an edit option, I would delete the name of the agency we used myself. Alas, I am completely lost on this site so I'll email about that as well and risk getting a slap on the wrist.

You have all been extremely helpful and given me several things to think about and act on. Thank you!

I scanned this thread rather quickly and didn't see an answer to your priority boarding question.

NCL has a special check-in line for handicapped guests. Those in wheelchairs and those who require special assistance are normally boarded first.

I would suggest renting a wheelchair or contact one of the local assistance agencies and they may donate one to you for temporary use. The wheelchairs on the ship are used for boarding and disembarking however, they make exceptions in some cases.

Try gathering an assortment of brochures for tours at the ports you are visiting, and present these to your friend so he can select the items that he wants to do. For most of the items, you don't need to book in advance, but can find a van driver to do the tours for you and they can be adjusted either before booking or during the tour depending on the ability of your friend at the time of the activity.

If you need a wheelchair for use onboard contact Special Needs at Sea. You can make arrangements to rent one and they will deliver it to the ship. If you google Special Needs at Sea their website has the contacts and all the informtion you might need.

If you need a wheelchair for use onboard contact Special Needs at Sea. You can make arrangements to rent one and they will deliver it to the ship. If you google Special Needs at Sea their website has the contacts and all the informtion you might need.

My prayers for your friend and for everyone that loves him including you.

Absolutely contact Special Needs at Sea - but my recommendation would be to rent a mobility scooter vs. a wheelchair. The mobility scooter will give him the rest he needs as well as independence vs. having to have someone push him around when he's tired. It can be taken on and off the ship and be used to drive all over the ship and around town (not familiar with those ports - but if there are sidewalks with sloped curbs he'll be fine.) Cost is around $200-ish for the week and well worth it. Since they are in a studio, the Access Desk at NCL will arrange to have it stored when not in use (too big to fit through cabin door.) The Getaway is VERY accessible with a mobility scooter!

Good luck & God bless! :)

Edited by pcakes122

Hello

I took a cruise a few years ago while recovering from major cancer related surgery, and had tried a wheelchair on a few local outings before the cruise. Frankly, I found the wheelchair difficult. I didn't have the strength to push it myself, and felt as though I could not do anything I wanted to do without bothering someone to push me. The few times I did push myself somewhere, I was too exhausted to get back, and then had to call someone to come get me....

For the cruise, I ended up renting a scooter. You can do that through NCL. They deliver it to your stateroom and it is there waiting for you when you board. I was able to take it off the ship in all ports except those that tendered. I did have to ask them to switch us to a handicap room because the scooter has to be charged at night and it took up a lot of room, so the larger handicapped room was terrific. No extra charge for a handicapped room, and depending on how he is, the railings and seat in the bathroom and shower my come in handy. I just pulled up my credit card statements, and about 2 1/2 years ago, the price for the week for the scooter was 235.00 It was the best 235. I ever spent.

Terry

I would absolutely recommend going for a balcony cabin at minimum if there is the possibility he may not be feeling up to snuff on some days. At least he could relax and enjoy the sea air and views from his own balcony even if he did not feel like going out. The extra space, larger balcony, and amenities of a suite, like butler and concierge could be invaluable and I hope this works out.

If they are foodies, I would buy them a Specialty Dining package, SDP, from 3 to 7 nights, which will get them into most specialty restaurants for no extra charge. They are quite reasonable compared to paying a la carte without the package. If they upgrade into a suite, they should get this plus the drinks package, gratuities and one other choice, so no need to purchase. It can be purchased after boarding as well. I hope everything goes well.

My husband was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer 3 years ago and has been in remission for 2 years. For us, we also live each moment to the fullest (a saying we prefer to "each moment as if it were the last").

My recommendations:

- Even with stage 4, he should do all he can to stay in remission post-chemo, that means eating healthy, juicing, exercising, relaxing, etc. As such, I strongly recommend a spa pass for the cruise and looking at special diet options at the restaurants.

- For excursions, I recommend booking private ones with local providers. For health and flexibility reasons, he will want to travel in just your small group in a van.

- For what type of excursions, in the Caribbean, I am a big fan of the zipline, catamaran and snorkeling, beach lounging, and scuba diving. I recommend having one of those at each port, so that you get each box checked.

- To limit illness exposure, avoid the buffet and try to stick to the speciality restaurants and Cagney's for breakfast and lunch (available only for suite/haven passengers)

- Of course, staying in the Haven is the best way to cruise on NCL.

- Ensure he has insurance coverage

For funding all of this, start a Facebook page and ******** page to raise money. Once you have some traction there, email NCL. If they see that this trip has a fair amount of support, they will be more inclined to assist.

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend.