AUGUST 2016 update: HAL charters, groups and dry docks

CJcruzer

I'd wait until September 28 and check the full details on the LRBC Blues website then. Although their website certainly suggests that they'll be using the Koningsdam, that would result in the ship being out of service for three days, until the next scheduled cruise on the 14th.

They could throw in a 3-day cruise or even charter it for 3 days, those aren't unheard of.

We will be on the LRBC this January. Since this is a new ship, LRBC will have stages made to accommodate the configuration of the ship. This is costly. So, I would think the February date and ship are correct.

The LRBC cruises are loved by HAL. The pre-book will sell out about 90% on Septembef 28/16. The balance will be sold from the October and January cruises. Usually none are left to public sale. So HAL is not taking a gamble with the Blues Cruise. This January's cruise sold immediately.

It has been mentioned many times on the forum that a cruiseline prefers charters to regular cruises. They get lots of money upfront and folks who spend money on board.

HAL gets paid up front, no mater how many cabins are sold so they don't really care about it being sold out - the risk is to LRBC. HAL would prefer a full ship since they will have more onboard spending with more people on board. ;)

I think that the real question is whether HAL knows it's not going to happen. And my impression is that that point is not usually reached until closer to the date of the cruise. I don't know exactly what happens, but my guess has always been that there comes a point when the charterer is bound to take the ship and/or the cruise line is bound to get the money for the charter period, and that this is when the cruise is taken off sale. If HAL were to take the cruise off sale before that date and the charter then cancels for some reason, HAL will have more difficulty selling the whole cruise from scratch.

With RSVP cruises I have at times seen a gap between when the charter contract was signed and when HAL takes it off the schedule.

Edited by Boytjie

• 4 weeks later...

January 29,2017 zaandam Fun for Less LDS tour.

They typically have several hundred and use the showroom in the morning, before public lectures. They did their own shorex. They were on our sailing and wasn't a huge impact, other than lots of people wanting off at ports at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...