Explorer Reviews

flossie009

In reference to full disclosure requirements, the same is true for any opinion expressed on a thread about the Explorer.

Edited by forgap
Did not quote previous reply so my reply was out of context

The questions being asked could be asked about every single review that has ever been made on Cruise Critic. The bottom line, IMO, is that it simply doesn't matter. Someone could write a review about any ship and make-up the whole thing (no - I do not think that this happens and CC appears to do everything that they can to insure that it doesn't).

Reviews of the same cruise can vary dramatically. A person reads all the reviews and draws their own conclusion (the same as most people do on TripAdvisor of which I am a member but rarely post) I believe that most posters and reviewers are being truthful and are posting information to help others and that is all that matters to me.

In terms of christening voyages, I assumed that everyone knew that they were comped. This subject has been brought up periodically on both the Regent and Oceania boards. There are people that were on the Voyager and/or Mariner "shakedown" cruises that may or may not have posted reviews. If they did, the reviews are likely still there. I'm not sure why this issue is of interest to anyone other than the people that were onboard.

It appears that most CC'ers do not write "formal reviews" and that is a shame. It seems that most reviews that I read about Regent are from posters that are not active on the Regent board (which, IMO, does not sway their reviews one way or the other). So, for those of you critical of the reviews, I strongly suggest that you post your own reviews so that all of us have a voice. The "reviews" on the Regent board eventually end up on page 200 as new threads are started. Formal reviews remain "forever".

The questions being asked could be asked about every single review that has ever been made on Cruise Critic. The bottom line, IMO, is that it simply doesn't matter. Someone could write a review about any ship and make-up the whole thing (no - I do not think that this happens and CC appears to do everything that they can to insure that it doesn't).

Reviews of the same cruise can vary dramatically. A person reads all the reviews and draws their own conclusion (the same as most people do on TripAdvisor of which I am a member but rarely post) I believe that most posters and reviewers are being truthful and are posting information to help others and that is all that matters to me.

In terms of christening voyages, I assumed that everyone knew that they were comped. This subject has been brought up periodically on both the Regent and Oceania boards. There are people that were on the Voyager and/or Mariner "shakedown" cruises that may or may not have posted reviews. If they did, the reviews are likely still there. I'm not sure why this issue is of interest to anyone other than the people that were onboard.

It appears that most CC'ers do not write "formal reviews" and that is a shame. It seems that most reviews that I read about Regent are from posters that are not active on the Regent board (which, IMO, does not sway their reviews one way or the other). So, for those of you critical of the reviews, I strongly suggest that you post your own reviews so that all of us have a voice. The "reviews" on the Regent board eventually end up on page 200 as new threads are started. Formal reviews remain "forever".

I think you missed the point. CC guidelines state that you must disclose this. Perhaps you should add this to your tag line "Some people just like to argue -- the best way to deal with them is to ignore them! (and ignore my opinions as I am compensated for them by Regent)"!

In many respects people should read your posts with the same lenses that they read a TA's review of a ship or, perhaps, the Avid Cruiser. That is, when you get freebies from a cruise line, it is compensation, therefore you are paid for a favorable review.

"it simply does not matter"....here is the USA we have heard that one before LOL!

I think you must be aware, Travelcat 2, that you are in a minority on this board in saying that it simply does not matter whether people were on a complimentary cruise or not.

Yes, let me join the now not so silent majority; Jackie, in accordance with CruiseCritic rules, you must disclose that you were given the cruise from which you have formed your basis of Explorer comments/reviews to date. Of course, after your November cruise, you can say anything you want without disclosing any special consideration.

Marc

For information I enclose details of my email to Cruise Critic and their reply about three of the Explorer cruise reviews -

Whilst reading the reviews on Regent’s new ship, The Explorer, over the weekend I discovered that three of the reviews – those by LCBettaver, tvlforfun & msh597 – were from people that had sailed on the two pre Maiden Voyage cruises and had therefore been guests of Regent Seven Seas and had a free cruise.

I could find no mention of this in their reviews and therefore wondered if it was fair/correct to include these reviews along with those by fare paying passengers?

I think it is disappointing that these reviewers did not disclose that their cruises were comped by the cruise line if in fact they were. It illustrates how dangerous it is to rely on social media.

I suspect these reviewers felt their reviews were “fair & balanced” and unbiased by receiving something for free that others have to pay for. Unfortunately, psychological research clearly demonstrates that their self assessment is probably wrong.

There is a great book on this topic titled “Predictably Irrational” by Dan Ariely. It is a fun read even for a lay person & demonstrates hidden forces that shape our decisions in ways that are different than we realize. I highly recommend it unless you want to continue to live in the false belief that you are totally rational & your views are consistently unbiased. (Full disclosure – I paid the full Amazon price for the Kindle version of this book. I was not reimbursed nor did I take it as a business tax deduction.)

I hope CruiseCritic will find a way to insure the integrity of these reviews. It looks & feels sleazy that the reviewers did not disclose their free cruise.

And, I agree with a previous poster that suggested using the term "invited" is not a satisfactory disclosure for a free cruise.

TC, thank you for all of your comments on the christening cruise. I'm not at all concerned that you were comped for the short cruise. Your 313 paid nights on Regent speaks for itself. I find you a great source of information for Regent cruisers and prospective cruisers. I think I know what all the concern is about. Please, just keep posting!

TC: Thanks for your response - it doesn't say that on the Explorer brochure they sent - must have been left out. As to the comped cruise - what is wrong with these people? I knew it was comped from the get-go of reading the review - invited!!! - and I'm not that steeped in Regent "lore".

I am not going to further defend something that does not require a defense.

Continue to debate this issue if you think it is helpful to anyone. Cruise Critic is well aware of the "shakedown" and "christening" cruises of the Explorer. In fact, the most comprehensive review is from Cruise Critic's Senior Executive Editor (see review below - copied from this link http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=998

Seven Seas Explorer Overview

By Colleen McDaniel, Senior Executive Editor

Editor Rating

Well before Seven Seas Explorer launched in July 2016, Regent Seven Seas was calling it the "Most Luxurious Ship Ever Built." That is a bold statement when it comes to ultra-luxury cruising. In many ways, the ship lives up to the billing, with extraordinary features and tiny details that will make even the most discerning passenger exceptionally happy.

To begin with, the cabins -- they're all suites -- are beautifully designed and feature some of the largest balconies in the industry. (Balcony sizes range from 55 to 994 square feet.) At the very top is the Regent Suite, a two-bedroom, two-and-a-half-bathroom cabin that is so indulgent and well-appointed, passengers staying there might never want to leave.

Then, there's the dining, with two restaurants that make their debut for the line on Explorer: Chartreuse and Pacific Rim. Food onboard is outstanding no matter where you dine, but the addition of the new specialty restaurants -- included in the price -- gives passengers more variety. The line's signature steakhouse, Prime 7, remains one of the best at sea, and its main dining restaurant options, Compass Rose and La Veranda/Sette Mari, set the bar high for "standard" cruise ship dining.

The ship features more than an acre of granite and an acre of marble, almost 500 chandeliers and some 2,500 pieces of art, including works by masters such as Pablo Picasso and Marc Chagall. And that's not just in the public spaces, which are impressive. Suites feature incredible marble and stone detailing in their bathrooms and on surfaces like desks and bars.

Those looking to poke holes in the "most luxurious" claim might point to the ship's entertainment, which is OK but not extravagant as one might expect. Likewise, the spa feels like it missed an opportunity to create a more expansive thermal suite complex, with features such as a therapy pool, fairly common on higher-end cruise ships. But complaints in general are minor.

With its over-the-top features, impeccable service and world-class dining, Seven Seas Explorer delivers a luxurious experience that feels like something special. Whether the ship is the world's most luxurious is a judgment call, but Seven Seas Explorer makes a good case.

Seven Seas Explorer Fellow Passengers

Passengers on Seven Seas Explorer are generally 60 and above, with a heavy percentage (around 80) hailing from North America. Australians and passengers from the U.K. are common as well. Passengers are well off, with a net worth of around $2 million, and most have cruised before, many with Regent Seven Seas. Families are uncommon, though children occasionally can be found sailing with their parents and grandparents during the summer or over holidays.

Seven Seas Explorer Dress Code

During the day, passengers wear comfortable clothing appropriate to the sailing climate. Poolside, bathing suits and cover-ups (for women) are common, though swimwear is not allowed indoors. Women wear shorts and T-shirts or blouses, capris, jeans, dresses or skirts indoors, while men go with jeans or shorts and T-shirts or polo shirts.

At night, elegant casual is the name of the game. That means skirts or slacks with blouses or sweaters, pant suits or dresses for ladies; slacks and collared shirts for men. Jackets are optional, but they're fairly common. Jeans, T-shirts, baseball caps, shorts and sneakers aren't appropriate in any public space after 6 p.m. Cruises of 16 nights or more will include two optional formal nights, where women might wear evening or cocktail gowns or formal pants suits; men might wear tuxes or suits. Elegant casual dress still is appropriate even on formal nights. Cruises of 15 nights or less don't feature formal nights.

The final night of the cruise allows passengers to dress more casually, but most stick with elegant casual.

Regent Seven Seas Explorer Inclusions

Regent Seven Seas is one of only a few truly all-inclusive cruise lines, and as such, a cruise on Seven Seas Explorer will be virtually hassle-free when it comes to figuring out what costs extra. Cruises on this ship include premium alcohol, wine, spirits, beer, soda, water and sports drinks, all gratuities, entertainment, dining (including at least one dinner at every specialty restaurant onboard), unlimited Wi-Fi, unlimited shore excursions and airfare. Beginning in 2017, cruises will include business-class airfare for U.S. passengers; before 2017, business-class-airfare is included for Penthouse Suite passengers and above.

The cruise also includes use of the ship's thermal suite, regardless of whether you have booked a spa treatment. A concierge staff is also available to anyone, 24 hours a day.

Depending on cabin category booked, items such as hotel stays and transfers to the port might be included.

The onboard currency is the U.S. dollar.

Continue to debate this issue if you think it is helpful to anyone. Cruise Critic is well aware of the "shakedown" and "christening" cruises of the Explorer. In fact, the most comprehensive review is from Cruise Critic's Senior Executive Editor (see review below - copied from this link http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=998

Seven Seas Explorer Overview

By Colleen McDaniel, Senior Executive Editor

Editor Rating

Well before Seven Seas Explorer launched in July 2016, Regent Seven Seas was calling it the "Most Luxurious Ship Ever Built." That is a bold statement when it comes to ultra-luxury cruising. In many ways, the ship lives up to the billing, with extraordinary features and tiny details that will make even the most discerning passenger exceptionally happy.

To begin with, the cabins -- they're all suites -- are beautifully designed and feature some of the largest balconies in the industry. (Balcony sizes range from 55 to 994 square feet.) At the very top is the Regent Suite, a two-bedroom, two-and-a-half-bathroom cabin that is so indulgent and well-appointed, passengers staying there might never want to leave.

Then, there's the dining, with two restaurants that make their debut for the line on Explorer: Chartreuse and Pacific Rim. Food onboard is outstanding no matter where you dine, but the addition of the new specialty restaurants -- included in the price -- gives passengers more variety. The line's signature steakhouse, Prime 7, remains one of the best at sea, and its main dining restaurant options, Compass Rose and La Veranda/Sette Mari, set the bar high for "standard" cruise ship dining.

The ship features more than an acre of granite and an acre of marble, almost 500 chandeliers and some 2,500 pieces of art, including works by masters such as Pablo Picasso and Marc Chagall. And that's not just in the public spaces, which are impressive. Suites feature incredible marble and stone detailing in their bathrooms and on surfaces like desks and bars.

Those looking to poke holes in the "most luxurious" claim might point to the ship's entertainment, which is OK but not extravagant as one might expect. Likewise, the spa feels like it missed an opportunity to create a more expansive thermal suite complex, with features such as a therapy pool, fairly common on higher-end cruise ships. But complaints in general are minor.

With its over-the-top features, impeccable service and world-class dining, Seven Seas Explorer delivers a luxurious experience that feels like something special. Whether the ship is the world's most luxurious is a judgment call, but Seven Seas Explorer makes a good case.

Seven Seas Explorer Fellow Passengers

Passengers on Seven Seas Explorer are generally 60 and above, with a heavy percentage (around 80) hailing from North America. Australians and passengers from the U.K. are common as well. Passengers are well off, with a net worth of around $2 million, and most have cruised before, many with Regent Seven Seas. Families are uncommon, though children occasionally can be found sailing with their parents and grandparents during the summer or over holidays.

Seven Seas Explorer Dress Code

During the day, passengers wear comfortable clothing appropriate to the sailing climate. Poolside, bathing suits and cover-ups (for women) are common, though swimwear is not allowed indoors. Women wear shorts and T-shirts or blouses, capris, jeans, dresses or skirts indoors, while men go with jeans or shorts and T-shirts or polo shirts.

At night, elegant casual is the name of the game. That means skirts or slacks with blouses or sweaters, pant suits or dresses for ladies; slacks and collared shirts for men. Jackets are optional, but they're fairly common. Jeans, T-shirts, baseball caps, shorts and sneakers aren't appropriate in any public space after 6 p.m. Cruises of 16 nights or more will include two optional formal nights, where women might wear evening or cocktail gowns or formal pants suits; men might wear tuxes or suits. Elegant casual dress still is appropriate even on formal nights. Cruises of 15 nights or less don't feature formal nights.

The final night of the cruise allows passengers to dress more casually, but most stick with elegant casual.

Regent Seven Seas Explorer Inclusions

Regent Seven Seas is one of only a few truly all-inclusive cruise lines, and as such, a cruise on Seven Seas Explorer will be virtually hassle-free when it comes to figuring out what costs extra. Cruises on this ship include premium alcohol, wine, spirits, beer, soda, water and sports drinks, all gratuities, entertainment, dining (including at least one dinner at every specialty restaurant onboard), unlimited Wi-Fi, unlimited shore excursions and airfare. Beginning in 2017, cruises will include business-class airfare for U.S. passengers; before 2017, business-class-airfare is included for Penthouse Suite passengers and above.

The cruise also includes use of the ship's thermal suite, regardless of whether you have booked a spa treatment. A concierge staff is also available to anyone, 24 hours a day.

Depending on cabin category booked, items such as hotel stays and transfers to the port might be included.

The onboard currency is the U.S. dollar.

And, I believe that CC gets advertising dollars from Regent as well as comped cruises so the editors can review a ship. Have you ever seen a negative review by an editor? At most, they are descriptive of the amenities and passenger mix. But, at least they don't argue endlessly with CC posters of differing opinions.

I have posted and read posts on this board for many years and never realized that those who post frequently and who are the most ardent supporters of a cruise line would be "invited" to join "christening" or "shake down" cruises and be "given" a "free" cruise. I knew that TA's, reporters, media personalities, etc. got either reduced fares or got a "free" cruise. The information in this thread is enlightening and I think that it would be beneficial to have a mandatory disclaimer that this is the case for any reviews of that nature.

How could anyone on CC know that posters receive "free" cruises if the information is not provided (unless the person is somehow in the know because the person has received a "free" cruise or has been told by the person who received the "free" cruise?

TC2, when you said you were "invited", I thought that meant that you had the privilege of joining the ship before other guests. Not for one moment did I think that you did not pay for the cruise.

Like some of the other posters, I believe that it is imperative that you, and others who receive or have received this benefit, make it clear. It is the same for those people who must disclose they are TA's, tour guides, etc. I hope that CC will enforce their guidelines.

I also hope that you will continue to enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Edited by mariners

We value the reviews from all who have sailed on this exciting new ship whether it was a paid fare or not. We are looking forward to our B2B TA & Med cruises starting next March.

I think being comped for being a long-time cruiser with Regent is no different from some other cruise lines where you get a free cruise after so many nights. I wouldn't discount reviews of those free-because-I-sailed-x-nights reviews any more than I discount those on the CV who received it as a reward for past cruises. Any skepticism I have is with reviews from travel industry professionals (TAs, maybe even Cruise Critic folks) who might be perceived to gain future benefit from positive reviews. Private individuals, as I see it, don't have that incentive.

TC2, when you said you were "invited", I thought that meant that you had the privilege of joining the ship before other guests. Not for one moment did I think that you did not pay for the cruise.

Hi mariners - really felt that the fact that it was a "christening cruise" and by stating that we were "invited" as well as indicating that we "were assigned" a suite was enough. I had no idea that it could be misunderstood.

I have no problem whatsoever with having a disclaimer on my review (as long as everyone else has to do the same).

Although I'm not "arguing" this subject further, I wanted to respond to you out of respect and to explain what I did in my first paragraph.

We are looking forward to our future Explorer cruises and wish you would think about booking a cruise on that ship (just ignore the excursions:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

I think being comped for being a long-time cruiser with Regent is no different from some other cruise lines where you get a free cruise after so many nights.

Scott, according to Jackie's own posts, 26 suites of the 27 suites for "invited" past guests were Titanium; Jackie and Dennis were the only ones that were not Titanium. When Voyager came out, I did not have enough nights to even dream of being "invited" on a shakedown cruise; but others I know were; it was based on SSS status. Obviously they made an exception for Jackie. I think she is just a pawn in this whole situation; she did nothing wrong. I believe that Regent "invited" her JUST because she would write a flowing review on CC and continue to be a strong cheerleader. Nothing wrong with that, either; just a business decision by Regent.

I don't think Jackie has been underhanded; she is just following the script that was written for her.

Marc

• Like 1

Scott, according to Jackie's own posts, 26 suites of the 27 suites for "invited" past guests were Titanium; Jackie and Dennis were the only ones that were not Titanium. When Voyager came out, I did not have enough nights to even dream of being "invited" on a shakedown cruise; but others I know were; it was based on SSS status. Obviously they made an exception for Jackie. I think she is just a pawn in this whole situation; she did nothing wrong. I believe that Regent "invited" her JUST because she would write a flowing review on CC and continue to be a strong cheerleader. Nothing wrong with that, either; just a business decision by Regent.

I don't think Jackie has been underhanded; she is just following the script that was written for her.

Marc

Than all she has to do is put this as a footnote on each post about the Explorer which she has not done. Since she just changed her little quote on the fixed boilerplate that comes after each posting, she obviously knows how to do this and chooses not to.

The 26 Titanium voyagers on the christening cruise should do the same thing according to CC guidelines.

Thank you. That would be helpful.

As someone who is using CruiseCritic to help make a decision on my first cruise, the integrity of the site is important to me & knowing if the review was written by someone who got a free cruise or someone who paid for it is helpful.

The argument that opinions are not influenced by the offer of a free cruise is not supported by research.

This dialog should be about whether CruiseCritic should require reviewers to note if their cruise was comped by the cruise line. Obviously, I think they should require this disclosure. Others may disagree. Code words like "invited" do not suffice for this novice.

I am sure that CruiseCritic & TripAdvisor work hard to insure the integrity of their site. Requiring disclosure of comped cruises would be a positive step in my opinion. I don't know what the downside would be. Maybe others can offer reasons why comped cruises should be kept a secret.

As someone who is using CruiseCritic to help make a decision on my first cruise, the integrity of the site is important to me & knowing if the review was written by someone who got a free cruise or someone who paid for it is helpful.

The argument that opinions are not influenced by the offer of a free cruise is not supported by research.

This dialog should be about whether CruiseCritic should require reviewers to note if their cruise was comped by the cruise line. Obviously, I think they should require this disclosure. Others may disagree. Code words like "invited" do not suffice for this novice.

I am sure that CruiseCritic & TripAdvisor work hard to insure the integrity of their site. Requiring disclosure of comped cruises would be a positive step in my opinion. I don't know what the downside would be. Maybe others can offer reasons why comped cruises should be kept a secret.

Completeely agree. Had no idea that "invited" was code for "complimentary"

The problem becomes when one posts a review of Regent on this board and it is not overwhelmingly positive it is constantly disputed. That is not fair and balanced in my opinion.

• Administrators
Yes, let me join the now not so silent majority; Jackie, in accordance with CruiseCritic rules, you must disclose that you were given the cruise from which you have formed your basis of Explorer comments/reviews to date. Of course, after your November cruise, you can say anything you want without disclosing any special consideration.

Marc

I need to clarify this for you all. Our guidelines DO NOT STATE that at all.

What we clarified, very recently I might add, is that the onus is on the vendor (CRUISE LINE or any other entity) to counsel their "bloggers" on disclosure.

When you post here on the forums, you are all anonymous to us. Cruise Critic has no way of knowing who you are, whether you have booked/paid for your sailing or not.

With regard to our published reviews, we ask each member to verify the statement posted above. You cannot submit your review without checking that box. So, the assumption is that members have read it and agreed to it.

Laura

• Administrators

Again, we require members to agree to the following when submitting a review for publication to Cruise Critic:

"I certify that this review is my genuine opinion of this cruise and all tour operators/businesses in ports of call. I have no personal or business affiliation with any establishment, and have not been offered any incentive or payment originating from any of these businesses to write this review."

There is a checkbox next to the above on the submission form; if you do not agree to the above statement, the review is not submitted.

LauraS