Pictures from October 16-25 Volendam cruise

PattiHere

Hopefully I will do this correctly and you will be able to view the pictures from my cruise. The first few photos are of the Westin Diplomate in Hollywood Florida, we stayed there before our cruise.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=15rgoeq1.q8tl195&Uy=-5lc7hu&Ux=0

Very nice!

Beautiful hotel, nice cabin...no doubt you had a great time! You both look great in your formal wear to!

Patti, Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful photos they are really great. I have to admit I had to chuckle seeing your Room Service picture. I see you also ordered the Swiss Museli and recieved it in the packet. We were just on the Oosterdam 2 weeks ago and this is also how my Swiss Museli arrived. I have ordered many times before and never recieved it this way. I kept the packet and brought it home and have not tried it yet. How was it? Did it taste like how it is served in the Lido? I would think the way to eat it would be with hal and half a little yogurt and fresh fruit:)

I liked seeing the pictures of Don and Mary. They are wonderful CC members we met on the Ryndam last November. Mary and I hit it off on line prior because my DH and I are originally from Iowa and May and I have birthdays very close as well as being born the same year.

This definitely looks like a cruise I would like to take some day what beautiful ports. I did notice by some of the dark clouds that it appears Wilma was lurking near by.

Thanks so much for sharing your photos.

Unfortunately the museli in the package did not taste as good as that served on the Lido deck, but I did enjoy it just the same and wish I could find a place that sells it here in the states.

I ate the museli in the Lido every morning - first time I ever had it since it was my first HAL cruise and I really liked it!:D

We didn't have much of a problem with Wilma until the end of the cruise. Port Everglades was closed so we had to disembark in Port Canaveral. Guess where our car was - Port Everglades and we live closer to Port Canaveral, so we took the HAL transportation to Ft. Lauderdale, retrieved our auto and a three hour drive home took over six hours, thanks to heavy traffic heading north and long gas lines - we were in line over an hour. We learned to fill our gas tank before we leave on a cruise!:D

I enjoyed this cruise and will sail with HAL again - this was the first time I visited any of the ports. We didn't book any excursions, just found a taxi when we got off of the ship and took tours of the islands.

Only down side of the cruise - not getting to Half Moon Cay - my DH and I were really looking forward to enjoying our cabana! Guess that is a good reason to take another HAL cruise in the future.

Patti

Was on the ship with Patti and she did a super job reporting. Our little board spent many hours together, it was wonderful and met some very nice life long friends. Our chairmen Steve and Patti#2 A.K.A. Jazzcruiser are working up a review. Was a great cruise, but unfortunately some it may be "What happens on Volendam, Stays on the Volendam" Would hate to cause this board to become x rated (just kidding)

Thanks to all who sent well wishes before we left, we left 4 days early so didn't get to properly thank you.

Mary:)

Thanks so much for posting your pictures! They were great. As we leave on the Maasdam in just a few days I am really getting in the cruise mode, if I can get all the clothes in the suitcase!! I also love your picture of your puppy, he is a cutie!

wishonastar,

I haven't thought about a review - I am not sure I would know how to write one - I have seen many well written reviews here and don't know if I could do as well.

In all of the ports my husband and I usually found a van or taxi at the dock and did a tour of the island. We did this in Curacao - a two hour tour for $15.00 a person - we also did some shopping - but did not purchase a lot. When we left Curacao at night - we were there until 11:00 p.m. - they had beautiful fireworks as the Volendam left the dock. Also that evening there was a bar-b-que on the Lido deck - my DH and I decided to eat there instead of the dining room and really enjoyed ourselves - first time I have ever been to a picnic on a ship sailing on the ocean!

Everyone that worked on the Volendam was very friendly and helpful - our dining room staff went out of their way to make sure we were happy with our meals. If we left anything on our plate, they were asking if something was wrong or did we want to order something different - usually we were just full and couldn't eat anymore!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks Patti for posting your pictures. We are on the Volendam January 12 and will be staying in the same cabin as you and Dean. :) It was nice to see what it looked like.

Toni :D

Patti:

Thanks for the link to your pictures. I appreciated seeing the cabin shots as we will be down the hall on the Volendam in March. I expect that they will have the new LCD TV's in place at that point after drydock.

I was intrigued by the ferry shots in Curacao. We were there on the Statendam many years ago and I think we docked at a different spot than you had. We were able to walk along to the floating bridge and across to town. What was your setup?

Bodger

Hi Patti,

Those are great photographs. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. It has been a while since I did a Caribbean cruise since I live on the west coast and hate to fly if I don't have to. Don't you just love that fireworks display when a HAL ship leaves Curacao?, and I must say that you got much better photographs of Tortola than I ever did.

Thanks again - I may have to overcome my loathing of flying and book another Caribbean cruise soon.:)

Thank you so much everyone for the wonderful comments on my Volendam pictures. I am not a good photographer - but I like taking pictures!

Bodger, I believe we docked in an area that is going to be a new pier - most of the area is still under construction. The floating bridge was being worked on - so we were not able to see it or use it - so we had to take the ferry which was just a few hundred yards from where the bridge would be located.

SDHALFAN - yes, my DH and I loved the fireworks as we left Curacao. Funny story though, the people that were suppose to untie the ship never showed up at the pier, so the captain kept blowing his horn so someone would show up and let us get on our way. At 11:15 p.m. we finally pulled away from the dock - the fireworks were awesome and watching them from the aft deck of a ship makes them even more special! I can relate to your fear of flying - I have the same problem - I know that I will have to one day get back on a plane because there are many places that I want to visit and the only way to get there is to fly. :(

Thank you again everyone for your wonderful comments and taking the time to view my pictures! :)

I forgot to add, I hope everyone enjoys their upcoming cruises on the Volendam as much as my DH and I did.

Yes Bodger, you should have the new LCD televisions, I know they were mentioning that the Volendam will be going into drydock within the next few weeks.

Toni, we liked our cabin, 6201, it was close to the dining room and to the lido restaurant, also the swimming pools.

Joe, this was the first cruise on HAL for my DH and I and we really enjoyed it - will cruise HAL again!

Patti,

Have been a bit busy with the Dec. cruise, but just took a peek at HAL and WOW! I hadn't expected to get excited quite so soon. Thanks so much for posting them. I also like the idea of a mug from the print. May make use of that later on. I do hope we get to Half Moon Cay. Which cabana did you have? Will go by and think of you.

Blessings,

Gail

Hi Gail,

Unfortunately we didn't get to Half Moon Cay. We arrived there on Tuesday morning and the captain decided that the seas were to rough and it was too windy - so we only were able to enjoy HMC from the ship. It wasn't easy knowing it was so close and we would not be able to go.

We had booked the Orange cabana, just because by the time we decided we wanted one there wasn't many choices - but we would have been happy with any of the cabanas!

Have a wonderful cruise - I would really like hearing about it when you return!

Archived