can't decide on excursion

ornurseamy

What is the best excursion in cozumel and progresso?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Best is a very subjective word. What would be best for you, might not be best for me.

The first time I go to an island I have never been to, I take a tour seeing all the highlights and learning about it. Other people just want to go to a beach for the day.

My advice is to decide what you like, read the reviews for each tour, than decide which one meets your needs.

Have a great cruise!

Sue

If you are interested in Mayan ruins you can get to them in Progresso. There is Chichen Itza and Uxmal. We went to Uxmal since you could still climb up the stairs on most of the buildings. Chichen Itza is one of the Seven Wonders of the New World. But we heard there were a lot of people selling things there. We were very happy with our choice. You can book through the cruise line but we went with Auto Progresso. They run the shuttle buses down the long pier in Progresso.

In Progreso I'd first take the double decker bus ($3-4) which takes you around town for about 30 minutes. Then Uxmal or Chichen Itza ruins are a long bus ride but doable. Dzibalchaltun ruins are smaller but lots closer. In Cozumel, we like Playa Palancar or going to the east side of the island.

Go to the PORTS OF CALL forums... then click CARIBBEAN

there are separate forums for both Cozumel and Progreso with hundreds of posts about everything at both destinations.

Yes. Check these out. Your post will most likely be moved there shortly anyway.

First thing I would suggest is to start to narrow down what type of excursion you want. A relaxing beach day? Something more cultural? Adventure? A "once in a lifetime" experience like swimming with the whale sharks? There are so many different possibilities. Something for everybody!

That said...

we went to Nachi Cocom and really enjoyed it. It's a small, private beach where we just snorkeled.. laid out... ate & drank. That's our kind of vacation. :cool:

Cozumel: Nachi Cocom. Adult. max number of guests 100. Food from menu, NOT a buffet you share with flies. Great beach, great pool.

Progesso: Longer ride, but so unique. Swim in a Cenotes, cave swimming in under ground river. utterly different.

Mr. sanchos is also a great choice. It is an all inclusive, right on the beach. Includes all you can eat and drink for $50. Cab ride is about 15 minutes from the cruise port.

My sister an I decided on this for Cozumel! We've heard nothing but amazing things about Mr. Sanchos! We're really excited about it, especially since it was decently priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In Cozumel, we usually grab a cab and head to San Francisco Beach Club. It's between Mr. Sancho's & Paradise. Mr. Sancho's seems to have more of a party atmosphere, but they're all right in a row.

If you rent a jeep, it's fun to toodle around - The Thirsty Cougar has good food & friendly staff. A word of caution, though - we got hold of one jeep that died on us in the middle of traffic in town. We thought it was out of gas, so we pushed it to a station & put some in it, but it had some other problem. It ran when it felt like it, so we eventually made it back. Fortunately, we were staying on the island & didn't have to worry about making it back to a ship. The rental place gave us a different vehicle the next day free of charge.

Hi OP,

Some posters have recommended renting Cars Or Jeeps when you visit Couzmel...Read Trip Advisors report on Renting Cars in Couzmel. Carnival used to warn people about renting Cars, Scooters in Mexico. I could go on but just check it out for yourself and if you want info? Just ask!!

Hope you have a Great Cruise

Michael