Chase sapphire travel insurance

esper10

From the Chase Sapphire credit card web site:

Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-preferred1?CELL=6304&IS2F=Y71UH0

Looooooove my Sapphire card. We've used it for years and thousands of dollars in airfare.

From the Chase Sapphire credit card web site:

Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-preferred1?CELL=6304&IS2F=Y71UH0

Looooooove my Sapphire card. We've used it for years and thousands of dollars in airfare.

That's what I thought. I don't think that my cat's serious illness will qualify as a covered medical sickness.

My chase card covers 10k also and is a united card so I also get free checked bags priority boarding. I charge all my travel to it then just purchased an annual medical/evacuation policy. Great combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The new Chase Sapphire Reserve card just came out last week, it appears to cover Medical and Trip Interruption and Cancellation plus many other nice features. Annual fee is $450 but with some if the perks most of the cost is recouped each year? Gotta check this out. This card may compete with other Travel Ins Co's.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan to switch to it today , 2nd card cost a extra $75 for my wife .

I plan to switch to it today ' date=' 2nd card cost a extra $75 for my wife .[/quote']

Why? Apply new and get the 100,000 bonus points. If you product change, no points for you.

You then can product change you CSP to Freedom Unlimited wth no annual fee.

We switch cards every few years and we are now looking at a 6 per cent cash back card recommended by our business oriented kids.

I would very much appreciate any information you could share about the 6% card you mention.

Thanks in advance

Scott & Karen

• 2 weeks later...

The Sapphire Reserve also has a hotel collection that gives free breakfasts and another special amenity when paying with the card. I just applied and took a look at the portal. There were 6 or 8 hotels in Vancouver. This one has airport lounge access across the world also.

I've always bought trip insurance previously but this card looks like it really could replace the independent policy.

AmEx Blue Cash Preferred.

6% on groceries and gas after $6,500 spent.

sppunk posted the above. Not a bad deal, but note that the 6% is ony on gas and groceries, after $6500 spent (I assume per year).

On my no fee Chase FREEDOM card I get 5% on certain categories (changes by quarter), ranging from gas, groceries, dining, warehouse clubs, etc.

Edited by DaveOKC

I'm back as I promised to let you all know about chase credit card insurance. IT WORKED of course cancellation was due to illness. After sending all documents including doctor portion of the forms required it took only few day to get approved. They worked in a very timely manner and very professional. This was my only experience with them. One of the requirements is to send copy of chase credit card were payment of the cruise was made. It was easy as this cruise was booked recently but there are times were I may make payment few times for a cruise or may be for more than one so it would have been a job for me to locate payment, but I have only great words to say bout them. Also it was quite a bit of money and ALL was refunded other than the tax that the cruise line refunded.

I'm back as I promised to let you all know about chase credit card insurance. IT WORKED of course cancellation was due to illness. After sending all documents including doctor portion of the forms required it took only few day to get approved. They worked in a very timely manner and very professional. This was my only experience with them. One of the requirements is to send copy of chase credit card were payment of the cruise was made. It was easy as this cruise was booked recently but there are times were I may make payment few times for a cruise or may be for more than one so it would have been a job for me to locate payment, but I have only great words to say bout them. Also it was quite a bit of money and ALL was refunded other than the tax that the cruise line refunded.

Thank you for coming back and letting us know. I'm so happy to hear this worked for you. We got the Sapphire this year for our upcoming cruise and it was free this year. We will have to decide if we want to pay for it next year. If we do another cruise it will be worth it!

Utahtea

Thank you for coming back and letting us know. I'm so happy to hear this worked for you. We got the Sapphire this year for our upcoming cruise and it was free this year. We will have to decide if we want to pay for it next year. If we do another cruise it will be worth it!

I also thank the poster for letting us know how well it worked. I feel better about just doing the Sapphire insurance now. That alone pays for the annual fee.

I use my points on Hyatt rooms (like Hyatt Place in Fort Lauderdale) and I get a great value for it. I also got three free nights in Boston area (that along saved my over $700)!

One tip I would like to add - get a Chase FREEDOM card (no fee) as well. You can earn up to 5% back on some purchases (stores vary by quarter) and, best of all, you can transfer your points to your Sapphire card which then can be used for Hyatt rooms (or other hotels/airlines). Great deal IMO!

Glad to hear the Chase Sapphire Preferred worked!

We, too, are using it more for trip insurance now that we feel we don't need the "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance we always got through Holland America. Now, it's more likely to be a medical reason ;-( So, when the limit of $10k works for a trip we are more likely to use that insurance as our coverage.

If you Google Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Reserve it gives you a nice comparison of the two. The Preferred is fine for us at only $95/yr but some folks might like the extra travel perks of the Reserved at $450/yr...so check them out. The Chase Sapphire Preferred website has a nice PDF of the actual insurance coverage you get which I have downloaded to my Evernote so it travels with us to be able to refer to "if needed."

We still keep our medical evacuation "to any hospital of our choice" (MedjetAssist) as a "just in case" too. If you read the fine print of most health insurance it will only take you to the nearest medical facility that is "OK" for you.

I have chase united card at $95 a year. It also has cancellation insurance up to 10k. I also get a free checked bag. That in itself pays for the card. I also bought medical evacuation insurance to fill the gap. I notice that the reserve card also has medical evacuation insurance which might in and of itself make the hefty fee worthwhile. I wish it had miles for other airlines, though. It is only good on United and Southwest and some international airlines from what i can tell.

Utahtea

SAme here on Sapphire. But now I am going to also get the Sapphire Reserve.

I have chase united card at $95 a year. It also has cancellation insurance up to 10k. I also get a free checked bag. That in itself pays for the card. I also bought medical evacuation insurance to fill the gap. I notice that the reserve card also has medical evacuation insurance which might in and of itself make the hefty fee worthwhile. I wish it had miles for other airlines, though. It is only good on United and Southwest and some international airlines from what i can tell.

The better deal comes when you can find a reward ticket on one of the international airlines. My son booked flights to Hawaii for 25K miles on Singapore Air, but it the exact flight on Delta that Delta was asking 80K miles to book.

The international carriers can book seats on their partners. So no airlines are really excluded. I tried to do the same "trick" for my next cruise and book flights to Alaska. But I had no luck. My hangup was the open jaw that didn't land and leave from the same country (Fairbanks and Vancouver)

Edited by alwaysfrantic