Enough is Enough Carnival Detractors-This is What FREE Costs You

Cruiseathoning

It would not be fair to continue to hold knowledge to myself, because though NCL puts out a great product, their marketing schemes are at best, dubious.

Let me put it like this-if you are debating whether to do a Carnival ship, or an NCL and are deciding solely on the FREE drink package, or FREE dining, don't.

Go Carnival. Get on Carnival to find Guy's Burgers, as good as any burgers not named Dyer's on Beale Street in Memphis, and have a ball. Grab some Blue Iguana burritos, get some BBQ, try some cereal crusted french toast. Go get some pasta, and while you are at it, would you grab me some sushi at Taste Bar?

Drinks? CHEERS is $50 per day, plus gratuities. Oh you think you have me? Think again.

Pick a ship, any ship, that Norwegian is sailing. Find an inside stateroom. Let's say New Orleans, in FEB, on the Pearl. Grab an inside stateroom and your drink package, do a guarantee..oh wait, that inside stateroom is not eligible for the package, you have to upgrade to an...

Inside stateroom? You mean instead of paying $499 for an inside cabin you have to pay $649? Yes exactly. But wait..that cabin, with the free drinks, will also run you another $198 or so for drink package gratuities. So now your free drink package with your inside stateroom costs you, roughly, $500.

Want dinner? Three meals will cost you about $140 bucks all in, but if you want that package you have to go up to an oceanview room. That is another $300 or so. So now to get your FREE drinks, and FREE dining, you had to spend an extra $800. Or, you could just buy a guarantee, pay for a few meals, a few drinks, not try to disqualify your liver for organ donation, and come out way ahead.

But let me be real clear, the Jewel class of NCL in no way should garner more of your hard earned $$ than Magic class on Carnival, not even close. Besides the food options running deeper, the entertainment being more plentiful, there are the nightly comedians, an HD movie screen, a waterpark, and a full-sized basketball court.

All for ACTUAL free. How nice. And honest. In the end an all-inclusive experience on Carnival will cost you roughly the same price purchased than NCL's "free." All of this on a much nicer ship, with more fun, more energy, and more space.

So you think I am writing a commercial for Carnival, do you? Next cruise we take, in probability, will be the RCL Liberty, because Royal has Saturday Night Fever the stage show. But then, Carnival is getting Jim Gaffigan, and Jeff Foxworthy next season, so the battle continues. I don't know how much they will cost, but not as much as FREE on NCL.

I enjoy the Norwegian product, I really do. The food is good, the shows are good, and the ships are pretty. But the marketing practices, well, those are ugly, quite so in fact.

On Norwegian FREE is costly. But so is the growing lack of trust in their management.

Go Carnival, and save yourself from the expense of FREE.

Why not post this on NCL's website ?

Because those who still really like NCL would flame the OP incessantly.

OP, I recently priced the Gem out of NYC for 6/2017 and the Pride out of Baltimore. I have sailed on both ships. Our preference, slightly, is the Gem. But NCL wants $1600 more for the Gem than CCL wants for the Pride. I do not think that NCL is $1600 better than CCL.

Edited by sparks1093

I did get the drinks package included with my studio room booking on Escape for next year/September, plus a preferential rate on the CAD dollar price, priced in CAD, but even so....since then have found cruises on Carnival that I really want to take badly, and the price even at todays bank exchange rate is not that bad. The free drinks may not be quite the draw for me next year anyway, as I don't seem to tolerate alcohol very well anymore. So, I am giving this some serious thought, and after my upcoming Carnival cruise, I will decide whether to hold on to the booking or not. I still think Escape is an amazing ship, but not really sure that the price (including) drinks is much better than Carnival's price without drinks. So, yes I am sitting on the fence right now, and do appreciate Cruiseathoning's post.

Same kind of experience we found. Friends wanted us to book an NCL with them, choice of two "free" amenities. We selected the "free" items and found we would need to pay an additional $450 bucks in "service charges". Guess they don't understand the meaning of the word free. Needless to say we did not, and will not, book with NCL.

Our friends have one trip booked with them in Dec but told us that's it, they are done, even though they turn platinum on the Dec. cruise. They're tired of the additional charges that show up. They have started cruising Carnival with two under their belt now.

I'm disenchanted with NCL's changes too. I have a future cruise certificate I bought when prices were not "enhanced" and don't have desire to use it. I cruised on a solo special, but they no longer exist (and other lines have cut back too). I can't see cruising with inflated pricing, paying double to get a so called freebee that you must upgrade even to get it.

People talk about the solo cabins, but they are not as cheap as people think and you get a teeny tiny cabin.

I guess this thread will certainly disappear.

I'm disenchanted with NCL's changes too. I have a future cruise certificate I bought when prices were not "enhanced" and don't have desire to use it. I cruised on a solo special, but they no longer exist (and other lines have cut back too). I can't see cruising with inflated pricing, paying double to get a so called freebee that you must upgrade even to get it.

People talk about the solo cabins, but they are not as cheap as people think and you get a teeny tiny cabin.

I guess this thread will certainly disappear.

That is one more reason that I may cancel my NCL studio. I don't mind an interior room, but those are really small, and for the same money or close to it, if I book early enough, I can and usually do get a port hole room, on Carnival

I hope this thread does not disappear. Interesting to hear others ideas.

Edited by SMSACE6

I spend money on Carnival, but only because I choose to do so.

A few photos and some specialty coffees because my granddaughter enjoys them. We like the dining experience and food at breakfast, brunch and dinner. Our one night at the steakhouse is again a matter of choice.

Last week on the Breeze I bought a bottle of wine, and having a glass 5 nights at dinner was delightful. I had 2 Brandy Alexanders during the week, a perfect nightcap, and one of those was free.

We don't spend a lot over and above our fare and pre-paid gratuities, and in fact a lot of what we do spend is on extra tips.

Given what it takes to make our cruise fun, I am pretty sure I can't afford all the "free" stuff on other lines.l

Same kind of experience we found. Friends wanted us to book an NCL with them, choice of two "free" amenities. We selected the "free" items and found we would need to pay an additional $450 bucks in "service charges". Guess they don't understand the meaning of the word free. Needless to say we did not, and will not, book with NCL.

Not to correct you, but I do believe you misunderstand the word free or the overall concept. If you go to a restaurant on your birthday, with you spouse to enjoy a free dinner, you are still expected to tip the waitress the amount of the "free" item. Say it's 14.95, you would tip $2.99 (20%). Your final bill would be $2.99 or the tip you gave. If you book a cruise where the kids sale free, on any cruise line, you still pay their tips. So you would understand, the product is free, but the tips, are not the product. They are a different line item which is given to the people who serve you.

Our friends have one trip booked with them in Dec but told us that's it, they are done, even though they turn platinum on the Dec. cruise. They're tired of the additional charges that show up. They have started cruising Carnival with two under their belt now.

I somehow believe that if they are Platinum, they would understand how it works.

This is interesting as we have always been interested in NCL but not for the free package things but for the fun/family element (after being pretty happy with Carnival and Royal).

We got put off by the less interesting itineraries in the summer and their wierd tipping policies and rumours they made free food bad so you would do speciality dining.

Its likely we will sail with them at some point though and I actually wasn't aware of the package bits and bobs so thanks.

I'm just looking at the week of our next cruise, Thanksgiving. Looking up prices here at cruise critic for Port Canaveral, Thanksgiving and balcony. Carnival is the most expensive at $1,229, followed by Epic at $1,099 (with the free drink package and four free specialty dinners) that is followed by Oasis of the Seas at $1,098.

All are a week, nowhere special going to, same port and same week.

Not sure about you, but I'd rather save the $130 and get the UBP/Dinner promo. That's a lot saved with the promo.

It would not be fair to continue to hold knowledge to myself, because though NCL puts out a great product, their marketing schemes are at best, dubious.

Let me put it like this-if you are debating whether to do a Carnival ship, or an NCL and are deciding solely on the FREE drink package, or FREE dining, don't.

Go Carnival. Get on Carnival to find Guy's Burgers, as good as any burgers not named Dyer's on Beale Street in Memphis, and have a ball. Grab some Blue Iguana burritos, get some BBQ, try some cereal crusted french toast. Go get some pasta, and while you are at it, would you grab me some sushi at Taste Bar?

Drinks? CHEERS is $50 per day, plus gratuities. Oh you think you have me? Think again.

Pick a ship, any ship, that Norwegian is sailing. Find an inside stateroom. Let's say New Orleans, in FEB, on the Pearl. Grab an inside stateroom and your drink package, do a guarantee..oh wait, that inside stateroom is not eligible for the package, you have to upgrade to an...

Inside stateroom? You mean instead of paying $499 for an inside cabin you have to pay $649? Yes exactly. But wait..that cabin, with the free drinks, will also run you another $198 or so for drink package gratuities. So now your free drink package with your inside stateroom costs you, roughly, $500.

Want dinner? Three meals will cost you about $140 bucks all in, but if you want that package you have to go up to an oceanview room. That is another $300 or so. So now to get your FREE drinks, and FREE dining, you had to spend an extra $800. Or, you could just buy a guarantee, pay for a few meals, a few drinks, not try to disqualify your liver for organ donation, and come out way ahead.

But let me be real clear, the Jewel class of NCL in no way should garner more of your hard earned $$ than Magic class on Carnival, not even close. Besides the food options running deeper, the entertainment being more plentiful, there are the nightly comedians, an HD movie screen, a waterpark, and a full-sized basketball court.

All for ACTUAL free. How nice. And honest. In the end an all-inclusive experience on Carnival will cost you roughly the same price purchased than NCL's "free." All of this on a much nicer ship, with more fun, more energy, and more space.

So you think I am writing a commercial for Carnival, do you? Next cruise we take, in probability, will be the RCL Liberty, because Royal has Saturday Night Fever the stage show. But then, Carnival is getting Jim Gaffigan, and Jeff Foxworthy next season, so the battle continues. I don't know how much they will cost, but not as much as FREE on NCL.

I enjoy the Norwegian product, I really do. The food is good, the shows are good, and the ships are pretty. But the marketing practices, well, those are ugly, quite so in fact.

On Norwegian FREE is costly. But so is the growing lack of trust in their management.

Go Carnival, and save yourself from the expense of FREE.

I love how you think all this stuff on Carnival is free. It is not. You pay for it when you pay for your cabin.

I think your argument should have been Carnival is cheaper when comparing apples to apples. But I guess "cheaper" does not sound as good as "free". It sounds like.....wait for it......Walmart!

I'm just looking at the week of our next cruise, Thanksgiving. Looking up prices here at cruise critic for Port Canaveral, Thanksgiving and balcony. Carnival is the most expensive at $1,229, followed by Epic at $1,099 (with the free drink package and four free specialty dinners) that is followed by Oasis of the Seas at $1,098.

All are a week, nowhere special going to, same port and same week.

Not sure about you, but I'd rather save the $130 and get the UBP/Dinner promo. That's a lot saved with the promo.

I went to the actual websites for CCL and NCL- CCL Magic mid-ship balcony on the Magic $2094; NCL Epic mid-ship balcony $2683 (includes the gratuities for the "free" promotions).

I am laughing at some Irony here...above is my post about NCL having great itineraries and just found a great Norway and Iceland cruise on their site for an amazing price. :D. This thread made me look!

But if Carnival did that route I would book it.

I somehow believe that if they are Platinum, they would understand how it works.

Now why would I lie? They will be platinum on the Dec cruise just as I stated. They are tired of NCL BS add on costs, especially when they are called "free" and they have had enough. Only going in Dec to use up credits that they had. Very pleased with their two recent Carnival cruises though.

Yes, we all know you hate Carnival and I really don't care what you think about the line actually. But, as others have asked, why is it so important for you to frequent this board if you hate it so badly? You're not changing our minds with your lame broken record. :rolleyes:

Oh by the way, there is a difference between stating tips and stating "service charges" which is what NCL called the additional costs.

Edited by Pyrate13

It's amazing how fast people's head will spin when someone says the word, "FREE", and every for-profit corporation in the world knows it.

I believe there was a time when the free beverage pkg at NCL was actually free, and did not charge the taxes.

Currently I think that they are offering free gratuities - now that's a perk I could wrap my head around, as there can be no taxes charged against that. But, still more expensive on most of the mock bookings I've done.

And, as I usually book inside guaranty rooms, I don't think any of those perks apply - a minimum room category is required.

I love how you think all this stuff on Carnival is free. It is not. You pay for it when you pay for your cabin.

I think your argument should have been Carnival is cheaper when comparing apples to apples. But I guess "cheaper" does not sound as good as "free". It sounds like.....wait for it......Walmart!

I think the point was NCL's marketing approach, which right now includes the very liberal use of the word "free". Whenever I price cruises CCL generally comes out hundreds less (although if one can shop around there are still great deals to be had on NCL).

I will never sail NCL, they only serve Pepsi. Can you imagine being on a boat for 7 says and every time you want a Coke, your only option is Pepsi? I have nightmares about it.

And to make it worse you cannot bring your own onboard when you embark.

After 6 cruises with Carnival (2 solo), I decided to try a 7 day cruise on the NCL Escape back in May as a solo and thoroughly enjoyed it. The price was $1200 for a studio cabin and included 2 free offers (unlimited drinks package and $50 per port shore excursion credit) and was totally worth it! I priced a cruise on the Breeze during that same time frame and because I was sailing solo, I would have to pay double occupancy and the price ended up being roughly the same without the perks, so the choice was clear for me.

Now, I will agree with you about the current offers and am really disappointed that NCL has made those changes. I checked the solo studio cabins and fortunately for me, I can still get the beverage package, so I do plan on crusing them again.

Oh, I have to completely disagree with the OP about Dyers burgers in Memphis. Unless you enjoy eating a big pile of grease on a bun, I suggest skipping Dyers and head on over to Macs Burgers. I cruise on the Breeze this Sunday and can't wait to try Guys Burgers! I have to see for myself if it's worth the hype.

I went to the actual websites for CCL and NCL- CCL Magic mid-ship balcony on the Magic $2094; NCL Epic mid-ship balcony $2683 (includes the gratuities for the "free" promotions).

I was pointing out Thanksgiving week. Magic is only a 5 day cruise vs a 7 day. Sunshine 7 day cruise is $1,229 per person on carnival.com right now, beginning 11/19/16 for a balcony. NCL.com has a guaranteed balcony at $1,099, regular you pick at $1,299. Both prices at this moment. I was comparing full week ones, not partials from the same port, balcony, dates.

Those darned gratuities for free drinks. I'll happily pay gratuities.