Prescription medicines

Rules for supplements are the same as rules for prescription meds. Being in a long term relationship with a flight attendant as well as having more than a few friends working for the TSA, I know that meds don't have to be in their original containers. Flying overseas is a different matter depending on destination. But yes - there are overzealous agents who like to try and flaunt authority

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In a previous life I was involved in sick kids air lifts to Disneyland. Oh yes, we had strict instructions about prescription meds being in original containers. Can you imagine the logistics for plane load of sick kids?:eek:

On the TSA site it says that pills do not have to be in their original containers.

Actually TSA has nothing to do with pills since that is the domain of customs.

If a TSA agent was questioning about pills I'd show them the printout I carry of the Rx's as well as printout of those TSA rules and if necessary I'd ask for a supervisor.

We take longer than a week trips and I put each day's allotment of 15 pills into a 2x3 ziplock and put all the ziplocks into a larger ziplock. Even though we also include a printout of the prescriptions, iin all of our flights, including ones to Europe, New Zealand, australia, and Malaysia we've never been questioned about the pill baggies. And that includes being chosen randomly for search by customs officials in three countries.

I do the same as you and we have flown domestic and international. Never been a 2nd look

In regards to my 2 week supply of ziploc supplements and meds as well as diabetic pump supplys and syringes in case pump fails. I also carry a sealed letter from my physician of all meds and supplies I use. I think I would be too much trouble to deal with . Never even a question in 15 years of travelling.

I carry all meds in pharmacy packaging when I fly. ONC E, when my carry on went gthrou x-rAY, THe inspeyor questioned my jewelry pouch and oprened my carry on to look at the jewelry. . I had a zip loc bag at the top of my carryon and when she saw it, she said, ' good thing you have all gtthose mediccations in gthose b ottles, rsd or it mibght not have been good.' Never happened again. Because they were packaged to 'her' liking, she let me continue on my way Wjhether TSA web site says it isn't required. , I do not want to be the person stasnerding there fighting iwithTSA person or having my medications confiscated; If you feel luc ky, make your own choice..

Edited by sail7seas

I'm confused by the conflicting experiences.

I take a lot of supplements. At least 25 a day. There are reasons for all of them. I put each day's supplements in those little snack baggies---24 baggies in all. Will I have problems with these in boarding the ship??

We are driving to the cruise to Seattle, taking a bus to Vancouver, and not flying anywhere until the END of the cruise/land tour.

The ship won't care - but try to imagine your experience crossing the border in the bus. You get off, queue up with your fellow passengers and get interviewed by CBSA basically the same as at an airport, complete with scanner to put bags through - only difference is no rules limiting liquids & gels to small volumes.

So, your bag rolls through the scanner and on the screen the agent sees - 600(!) assorted pills in baggies. I would simply assume that you WILL be questioned about what they are - if they are in original OTC containers (I assume when you say Supplements you do mean OTC, not prescription) the questioning might still happen - why so many? - but if it's literally just a huge bunch of pills in baggies, unless they are manufactured with ID on each pill you have nothing to give credence to your version that they're all vitamins or whatever.

Much like with TSA, you don't HAVE to have things in original bottles to enter Canada - but it makes things much smoother and faster if you get questioned. The CBSA has every legal right to reject you entirely at their discretion - or only allow you entry AFTER they verify these pills are legal and not some sort of contraband, which would be much easier if they were in original containers...

Lastly, I'd check that all those supplements are actually legal in Canada - individual vitamin pills should be fine, but plant extracts can have different legal status each side of the border, e.g. Stevia was only approved in Canada years after it was deemed safe in the US...

I'm confused by the conflicting experiences.

I take a lot of supplements. At least 25 a day. There are reasons for all of them. I put each day's supplements in those little snack baggies---24 baggies in all. Will I have problems with these in boarding the ship??

We are driving to the cruise to Seattle, taking a bus to Vancouver, and not flying anywhere until the END of the cruise/land tour.

I too take many supplements a day due to malabsorption and the risk of nutritional deficiencies. I pack my vitamins in those daily pill boxes (you know the ones that have 3 or 4 daily slots). I tape them up so they don't pop open in my carry on. (Happened once.. what a mess!!) I have taken 2 of those boxes on several cruises and countless trips and no one has ever questioned it. I keep a print out on me of what I take daily but there is no way I could carry the original bottles for the 9 different supplements I take 2-3 times daily.

For prescription meds and OTC, we just stick with the original bottles but we don't have very many. We have a med bag in our carry on for them and for a small basic first aid kit. Traveling the world with a small child taught me that boo boos can happen anywhere any time.

Much like with TSA, you don't HAVE to have things in original bottles to enter Canada - but it makes things much smoother and faster if you get questioned. The CBSA has every legal right to reject you entirely at their discretion - or only allow you entry AFTER they verify these pills are legal and not some sort of contraband, which would be much easier if they were in original containers....

Good to know. What I plan on doing with my 24 baggies of numerous supplements is take a photo of all the bottles they came out of (which I have in a semi-circle and smaller bottles on top of others), print out the photo, and place that on the inside of the bag that carries these supplements. Hopefully that will help. Like another gal said here, there is no way I want to take that many bottles of supplements--a few are large bottles. Thank u!

I too take many supplements a day due to malabsorption and the risk of nutritional deficiencies. I pack my vitamins in those daily pill boxes (you know the ones that have 3 or 4 daily slots). I have taken 2 of those boxes on several cruises and countless trips and no one has ever questioned it. I keep a print out on me of what I take daily but there is no way I could carry the original bottles for the 9 different supplements I take 2-3 times daily.

Nice to see someone else takes a lot of supplements for good reasons. I definitely have good reasons to be taking these supps. But I decided instead of the hard boxes, I just put each day's in one of the snack baggies, and put all of them in a gallon baggie. I will then take a photo of all the bottles they came out of together, print it out, and place in the gallon baggy, showing on one side. Hopefully, that will help the inspection.

Good to know. What I plan on doing with my 24 baggies of numerous supplements is take a photo of all the bottles they came out of (which I have in a semi-circle and smaller bottles on top of others), print out the photo, and place that on the inside of the bag that carries these supplements. Hopefully that will help. Like another gal said here, there is no way I want to take that many bottles of supplements--a few are large bottles. Thank u!

You're welcome, and a pic like that certainly seems like it can't do any harm even if they don't think it's sufficient proof. I'd also suggest that if you have had medical advice/diagnosis of whatever conditions(s) you suffer from, bring a copy.

My only issue was with a tube of NSAID gel in a carry on. It said Prescription Only but the security checkers in London had a problem with it since it was larger than the 3.4 ounces. They said it had to have a prescription label attached to the tube for that to allowed on (the label had been on the box) They eventually just let me go through.

I've traveled on planes and ships and across borders and always have had a mixture of original containers and random collections but no question has ever been raised except for the gel above that was not to their liking.

You can't go wrong with keeping them in original bottles if you are worried. The pharmacy can probably giver you a number needed of their very smallest bottles with labels attached for carrying just what you need.

• 7 years later...
4 minutes ago, stl2ropo said:

Can you refill prescription on board for 128 day World Cruise on the Zuiderdam?

No, you will need to make arrangements with your insurance company and pharmacy to get all you will need before leaving home.  One thing you can do is now discuss with your doctor doubling your prescriptions.  All of ours are double so instead of a 90 day supply we get a 180 day supply every renewal.  (I did this during the Covid lockdowns when supply chain issues delayed one of my prescriptions)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stl2ropo said:

Can you refill prescription on board for 128 day World Cruise on the Zuiderdam?

On the Grand South America I had to visit the medical clinic weekly to get my refrigerated injectable and a man came in and had not packed enough of his calcium channel blocker.  They had the pills but he was not happy with the charge, recall around $90.  Even for that long voyage we packed everything in pill pods so we had the correct count. 

Go to or call your pharmacy and explain and they will do an override to allow early purchase in 2023 for your 2024 cruise.  It is pretty simple if the reason is explained. 

• Thanks 1