Things to do on sea days on a Pacific cruise

Ken the cruiser

36 day Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific Collector.

Yes, it was a big commitment to HAL for this cruise and not knowing what to expect. We had all the pre-conceived notions of HAL just being dull & boring with a much older passenger demographic. We have done several long cruises and that is a simple fact that the longer cruises will have an older clientele. But being retired I am in that category as well.

We did a lot of reading on this board and comparisons of HAL to the other lines we have been on and decided to jump ship from the RCCL 24 day Sydney to Seattle cruise we had booked to this cruise. It was hard to give up our diamond perks on RCCL. But this trip fit our needs scheduling wise and after our trip this year of 45 days with 3 cruises, 4 hotels and 3 flights we felt a flight, cruise, flight would be more appealing than trying to cram a lot of pre-cruise days in New Zealand and Australia.

We don't need lots of activities but we have enjoyed the lectures on our Trans-Atlantic a lot. If HAL is similar in style, food, service and class to Celebrity or even RCCL, we know we will enjoy the cruise.

You have booked what should be a fabulous cruise.

Will you arrive in NZ a few days early to visit areas other than the ports of call?

We have never flown in the day of embarkation, as it just seems to be too risky. But we are going to do it this cruise, if we do miss the ship, the next port is not very far. Unfortunately we won't see much of Auckland.

OlsSalt, we have been on smaller ships 2200 to 3000 passenger ships before. We really are not too difficult to please. Give us decent service, reasonably good food and some shows that are not horrible and we are good to go. Also we have pretty much decide for cruises with many sea days, an enclosed pool area is a must!

We have never flown in the day of embarkation, as it just seems to be too risky. But we are going to do it this cruise, if we do miss the ship, the next port is not very far. Unfortunately we won't see much of Auckland.

OlsSalt, we have been on smaller ships 2200 to 3000 passenger ships before. We really are not too difficult to please. Give us decent service, reasonably good food and some shows that are not horrible and we are good to go. Also we have pretty much decide for cruises with many sea days, an enclosed pool area is a must!

The good thing about a being on a "smaller" ship is it will be less overwhelming for some of the smaller ports you will be visiting. The idea of 4000 on RCCL people arriving at the very tiny I'll des Pins boggles the mind. Though we showed up with 2000 or so on Oosterdam ourselves, sister ship to your ship the Noordam.

"Small" HAL, for us, is 1200-1400 R and S class, or even better the 600 passenger Prinsendam.

You will be making so many other good stops in NZ that missing more touring in Auckland (lovely city as it is) will not be too much of a downside. You really did pick a great itinerary on a wonderful ship with all your reasonable criteria well-met.

Looking forward to getting your feedback once you are done. I hope you return with your report -- or even update us if you can while you are cruising along.

However this reminds me of some passengers we met at a small Collectors Cruise event on a Grand Asia HAL cruise on the "small" Volendam (1200 or so).

I started the conversation saying isn't this a beautiful ship and a wonderful cruise and was immediately told this was the worst ship these people had ever been on, and they could hardly wait until they got off.

Seems they were used to sailing the far larger ships and went on and on about having full ice rinks and ice capade shows, along with Broadway productions. I didn't know what else to say since for us it is the itinerary and where we are visiting that is our star attraction.

We don't need lots of activities but we have enjoyed the lectures on our Trans-Atlantic a lot. If HAL is similar in style, food, service and class to Celebrity or even RCCL, we know we will enjoy the cruise.

I did most of your ports as the Sydney to Vancouver (disembarking in Seattle, as it was easier to get home from there) a couple of years ago. Although I absolutely HATE hot weather, I truly did enjoy this cruise. The ports were lovely, with a nice balance of sea and port days. Activities on board were interesting, with a varied lecture series from interesting presenters.

Do not miss the King Neptune Ceremony! It is great fun, even in the hot sun. Just apply lots of sunscreen.

"Small" HAL, for us, is 1200-1400 R and S class, or even better the 600 passenger Prinsendam.

LOL! The Prinsendam may be small, but it isn't tiny. The Prinsendam carries something north of 800 passengers.

One activity not on the program is socializing. I find the passengers on the long cruises to be world travelers who know there role on a ship is to socialize. Conversation on the Grand Med this spring was almost an art form. Dining room breakfasts would stretch long after the dishes were cleared because the conversation was so interesting.

LOL! The Prinsendam may be small, but it isn't tiny. The Prinsendam carries something north of 800 passengers.

Some published Prinsendam stats for more precision in response - addition of aft-cabins increased its original passenger carrying capacity:

Year Built 1988

Last Refurbished 2010

Tonnage 38,000 tons

Registry Netherlands

Length 673 feet

Beam 95 feet

Passenger Capacity 835

Crew Size 443

Total Inside Cabins 31

Total Outside Cabins 373

Cabins & Suites w/ verandas 166

Suites 69

Maximum Occupancy per room 3

Edited by OlsSalt

Some published Prinsendam stats for more precision in response - addition of aft-cabins increased its original passenger carrying capacity:

Year Built 1988

Last Refurbished 2010

Tonnage 38,000 tons

Registry Netherlands

Length 673 feet

Beam 95 feet

Passenger Capacity 835

Crew Size 443

Total Inside Cabins 31

Total Outside Cabins 373

Cabins & Suites w/ verandas 166

Suites 69

Maximum Occupancy per room 3

Confused :confused::confused: Ruth C said north of 800 - that sounds like close to 835 to me. I actually thought it was 846 but definitely NOT the 600 you stated earlier ;)

Posted from a non-HAL website - subject to correction

Amsterdam Amsterdam (2000)

Passengers: 1,380

Eurodam Eurodam (2008):

Passengers: 2,044

Koningsdam Koningsdam (2016)

Passengers: 2,650

Maasdam Maasdam (1993)

Passengers: 1,266

Nieuw Amsterdam Nieuw Amsterdam (2010)

Passengers: 2,104

Noordam Noordam (2006)

Passengers: 1,918

Oosterdam Oosterdam (2003)

Passengers: 1,848

Prinsendam Prinsendam (1988)

Passengers: 835

Rotterdam Rotterdam (1997)

Passengers: 1,316

Veendam Veendam (1996)

Passengers: 1,266

Volendam Volendam (1999)

Passengers: 1,440

Westerdam Westerdam (2004)

Passengers: 1,916

Zaandam Zaandam (2000)

Passengers: 1,440

Zuiderdam Zuiderdam (2002)

Passengers: 1,918

Confused :confused::confused: Ruth C said north of 800 - that sounds like close to 835 to me. I actually thought it was 846 but definitely NOT the 600 you stated earlier ;)

You should not be confused - it was a misstatement that got corrected with the follow-up posts.

I was talking at first off the top of my head with a faulty memory and comparing the Prinsendam to our "other" small ship we sail under VOD.

In 2010, 21 aft cabins were added to the Prinsendam. However the interesting question remains when talking about carrying capacity and expected passenger load while actually cruising.

Does the 835 number mean when every single bed and cabin potential is filled to the max, and how often does that happen. Such as the overhead bunks and sofa beds found on other HAL ships. I don't know if the Prinsendam has this flexible cabin bunking capacity or not.

I noticed those newer behemoth cruise ships claim over 6000 full capacity passengers, but typically sail with less like 4000 or so.

So you can split hairs, or just call some HAL ships "smaller" ships and split the difference.

Edited by OlsSalt

BTW: just so no one's knickers get twisted over my ongoing lack of precision, the "smaller" Voyages of Discovery ship Voyager I was referencing claims it has a 556 passenger capacity not "600".

Personally I see these ships in general, in capacity ranges, not specific numbers. My apologies for any ensuing confusions.

I clicked on "what to do on sea days" and got an education on ship size.:confused: Anyone got anything to add to the topic of this thread?

Actually it was related, since the size of the ship one chooses for these long sea day cruises can affect the type of over all experience. However, that did turn into an unwitting detour didn't it.

I get your point. :cool:

Edited by OlsSalt

IMO, you will not wonder what to do but the big 'problem' will be that you have to decide which activity to do as there is usually many different activities scheduled, as previously mentioned. Do have to admit, sometimes just have to escape to a secluded spot so I can finish my book or decide between Mah Jong or bridge. Some people cannot handle or go a bit stir crazy on the Pacific crossing as too long but I love them and have found, that these longer days at sea are what you make of them. The CD's keep the day full of things to choose from or you can opt for no scheduled activities.

My favorites are the special lecturers, the port expert (not a shopping expert, thankfully), the various classes and trivia - with an occasional movie thrown in. Once the day is decided, the big decision is where to have lunch....

Have done several ocean crossings: the Pacific on the Amsterdam (max is 1200 passengers) and the Atlantic on the Prinsedam (max is 800 passengers) and have never been bored. The CD's are specially chosen for the crossings so they understand about keeping the passengers entertained.

Have a wonderful time!

Looking at this and sorry about getting off-topic a bit. We are seasoned cruisers and have 4 trans-atlantics under our belt. I think the main question for what to do, is that there will be activities. I am happy to read books, smoke a cigar and hang out by the hot tub. I am good to go. My wife is an avid reader and is really easy going as far as things to do. If there are really good lecturer's all the better.

I think the ukulele classes, hula dancing class and great lectures would be an added bonus.

All of the posts on this thread have really allayed any fears we have of going on HAL and are getting us very excited to go.

Looking at this and sorry about getting off-topic a bit. We are seasoned cruisers and have 4 trans-atlantics under our belt. I think the main question for what to do, is that there will be activities. I am happy to read books, smoke a cigar and hang out by the hot tub. I am good to go. My wife is an avid reader and is really easy going as far as things to do. If there are really good lecturer's all the better.

I think the ukulele classes, hula dancing class and great lectures would be an added bonus.

All of the posts on this thread have really allayed any fears we have of going on HAL and are getting us very excited to go.

When we sailed on Noordam last year, smokers were encouraged to use the Oak Room, comfortable chairs, TV etc, situated next door to the Crows Nest starboard.

There was plenty to do on our cruise in the South Pacific. Hula performances, hula lessons, drum performances and lessons, ukelele performances and lessons, great lecturers. Especially our port lecturer. It was not about shore excursions but about history, what to expect, etc.

When we arrived in Hawaii, it was memorable. Our port expert (lecturer) was out there with the hula girls to pray for our welcome. Really well done.

I found more activities on the South Pacific on the beautiful, elegant Westerdam than I did on many TA's (other than the Prinsendam - size taken into consideration).

Also watch the Lido for buffets at the pool once you hit your ports. Wonderful fresh fish, food, salad and fruit. It wasn't in the On Location except once.

Sounds like we could have been on the same ship, October 2014, San Diego to San Diego.

Our cultural group was fantastic. They truly made our cruise memorable. I am hoping they are on our next one in January 2017.

Yes, it was a big commitment to HAL for this cruise and not knowing what to expect. We had all the pre-conceived notions of HAL just being dull & boring with a much older passenger demographic. We have done several long cruises and that is a simple fact that the longer cruises will have an older clientele. But being retired I am in that category as well.

I always say we make our cruise just as much as the itinerary. Make friends, meet people, get involved and you will have a great time. Get on the RollCall for your cruise and you may find tours to join in port. Have a great time!

When we sailed on Noordam last year, smokers were encouraged to use the Oak Room, comfortable chairs, TV etc, situated next door to the Crows Nest starboard.

I had read that on the smoking post thread. That it had happened on certain cruises but no one could confirm it. As I mentioned earlier, I have decided that trans-Atlantic or trans-pacific would require a protected pool environment as I love hanging around the hot tub and taking naps and indoor cigar rooms. We were on a Celebrity cruise last spring for 9 days and only outdoor smoking and it was cold outside and portside, so I didn't smoke for 9 days. I normally have one cigar per week, unless I am on a cruise then I have one a day, while Pam is getting ready for dinner. I had scoped out possible smoking locations outside and decided I could live with situation, but the Oak Room would make it even better.

Roboref(Ron)