Dining Package vs waiting for onboard discounts?

2calgarycruisers

I'm struggling with this 5 night package works out to about $26 pp per restaurant. I'm not sure about Sushi on 5, wobbly on Tuscan Grill but would like to try the Porch. Does every/most cruises offer two for one - is it primarily for certain restaurants? If it's not pretty likely that we would be discounts I'll book ahead as paying full price is not something I can get my head around. We will be on 14 night west med in November on the Silhouette. Thanks to all.

When you arrive on board there will be an upsell in attracting people to purchase the different dining packages. If the takeup is sufficient there wont be any discounts offerd during the cruise. If it isn't there MAY be discounts but they cant be guaranteed. Choice is yours really

Agreed, hard to say. on our cruise last month on the silhouette we ate in the specialty restaurants six times and every time we got a discount. Three of the nights it was 30% and three of the nights it was 20%. However there is no guarantee that that will happen on any particular cruise.

We were on one cruise where we got specialty dining for anywhere from 30% to 50% off.

Then we went on a cruise that didn't have 1 night discounted.

If we really want to do specialty dining, we will not count on a discount.

I'm struggling with this 5 night package works out to about $26 pp per restaurant. I'm not sure about Sushi on 5, wobbly on Tuscan Grill but would like to try the Porch. Does every/most cruises offer two for one - is it primarily for certain restaurants? If it's not pretty likely that we would be discounts I'll book ahead as paying full price is not something I can get my head around. We will be on 14 night west med in November on the Silhouette. Thanks to all.

We have booked this package a couple of times before RS and PH had unlimited dining included. We have decided where and when we have wanted to dine, seen the M'D of Tuscan (our preferred first night slot on boarding) who has then secured our other booking on the days/times we have wanted them.

You may save a little more by waiting and searching for discounts. You may find, however, that you are then compromising on the times you want....for example, 30% reduction but 9pm slot. On our last cruise Murano's was fully booked by day 8 of a 12 day cruise leaving some really disappointed cruisers. Whilst other restaurants were offering I think a 20% discount I don't think Murano's offered any all cruise.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

We sailed on the Shilouette this past May for 10 days in the Baltis. I had booked our specialty dining prior to the cruise. When we boarded, right as we got on there were people there selling the drink and dining packages. We bought the ultimate dining package which gave us access to all dining venues for lunch and dinner every day. The cost was just a bit higher than the 5 specialty restaurants I had booked, but I had 10 nights and also lunches. They credited the cost of what I had spent on the nights I had bought.

We were able to keep the times we had booked but also had no issues with the other nights.

I use to panic and book everything ahead of time but now I will just wait.

You will find a waiter outside the buffet with a laptop around breakfast time touting for business

I think most of our breakfasts will be in Blu, but I'll keep an eye open at the buffet - just in case:)

We sailed on the Shilouette this past May for 10 days in the Baltis. I had booked our specialty dining prior to the cruise. When we boarded, right as we got on there were people there selling the drink and dining packages. We bought the ultimate dining package which gave us access to all dining venues for lunch and dinner every day. The cost was just a bit higher than the 5 specialty restaurants I had booked, but I had 10 nights and also lunches. They credited the cost of what I had spent on the nights I had bought.

We were able to keep the times we had booked but also had no issues with the other nights.

I use to panic and book everything ahead of time but now I will just wait.

We are considering buying the ultimate dining package. Do you know if they were only available on embarkation day? And do you remember the cost?

I have read that breakfast is not part of the package?

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

We are considering buying the ultimate dining package. Do you know if they were only available on embarkation day? And do you remember the cost?

I have not experienced it but by trolling the boards I remember it being a $30 charge per night and it's only booked on board - not sure how up to date that was though.

I have looked for the ultimate dinning package on our 2017 Equinox 10 day Caribbean cruise and don't see it listed. The cost was $696 for the two of us. To me for lunch and dinners that was a bargain. Not sure about breakfast since we always have room service for breakfast. Not real big breakfast people.

I have a problem with the 5 night packages because they select the first night for you. After Sailaway I am not up for Murano! :D

I have looked for the ultimate dinning package on our 2017 Equinox 10 day Caribbean cruise and don't see it listed. The cost was $696 for the two of us. To me for lunch and dinners that was a bargain. Not sure about breakfast since we always have room service for breakfast. Not real big breakfast people.

I have a problem with the 5 night packages because they select the first night for you. After Sailaway I am not up for Murano! :D

Ultimate Dining package is only available on the ship, not for pre purchase. Suggest you inquire as soon as you board, they are only available in limited amounts.

Ultimate Dining package is only available on the ship, not for pre purchase. Suggest you inquire as soon as you board, they are only available in limited amounts.

And I believe the 3 and 5 night dining packages are only available for booking before you board. At least, on my current booking I see these words "Dining Packages must be booked at least four days prior to boarding and may not be available for every sail date."

So the choices are pre-book a 3 or 5 day package, or book UDP on board or look for single day discounts.

Is this the same on all ships?

And I believe the 3 and 5 night dining packages are only available for booking before you board. At least, on my current booking I see these words "Dining Packages must be booked at least four days prior to boarding and may not be available for every sail date."

So the choices are pre-book a 3 or 5 day package, or book UDP on board or look for single day discounts.

Is this the same on all ships?

You can book the 3 and five day package on board, you just can't book it online within four days of your sailing,they don't word it correctly.

You can book the 3 and five day package on board, you just can't book it online within four days of your sailing,they don't word it correctly.

We are going on Dec 3 Reflection and we are torn between the Ultimate or the 4 and 5 package. They are selling on line this week the 4 pkg for $123.30 p.p. and the 5 pkg for $125.10. The ultimate is $29 p.p. per day ! Does anyone have any pro and con's on the pkgs ! Thanks