Fire.....

code_d

Seriously?

You may want to read your contract you sign each cruise regarding damages and future revenue losses and legal fees.

And for your "may be inconvenienced by the smell of smoke" comment, yes for some it maybe a inconvenience but others that smoke may hospitalize some with serious lung disorders. When will people stop being so petty to think no big deal, so its smoky or fresh paint its good to go right?

What if the passengers was in a disability cabin? It took them over a year to book because of limited cabins that could accommodate them? No big deal right? Too bad so sad, my right to have a smoke on my balcony is my lungs right? Screw anyone with a limited lung capacity or is afraid of a "little fire" if they need help getting out in time?

When will people stop this me, me and me, I am entitled to break the rules how I see fit.

Again I really hope it was not a inconsiderate smoker but the odds are pretty strong that if it started on the balcony it was one.

I'm not sure if you already figured out who you're arguing with, but chengkp75 is (I might not get this exactly right) a Chief Engineer with extensive experience in the cruise industry. He provides valuable technical information on basically EVERY ship disaster we hear about, and he's one of the few CC posters who's reputation is beyond reproach. Not only that, I've never seen him rise to anyone's snarkiness bait, so he's certainly a better person than I am. :) He just gives us the facts--the hallmark of a full-blooded engineer.

As others have said, I basically hang on every word when he does take the time to post. And when something goes wrong on a ship, I wait to see if he'll weigh in.

Another you may not want to bother trying to pick a fight with, especially on matters relating to law enforcement at sea, is Aquahound, but I haven't seen him as much lately.

Edited by AdoraBelle

That link had nothing to do with the fire that this post is about.

That link had nothing to do with the fire that this post is about.

The third hit in the link referenced the FB page originally referenced. (At least on my I phone browser).

I realize I came of as a jerk on this one and I apologize. I was responding to a post that seemed pretty critical of OP for not providing a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The third hit in the link referenced the FB page originally referenced. (At least on my I phone browser).

I realize I came of as a jerk on this one and I apologize. I was responding to a post that seemed pretty critical of OP for not providing a link.

This more than takes care of it....we are all human here...sure is cool when people can do this and it is great for CC to say nothing of good modeling for humanity.

Looking forward to your continued good travel stories....Sarah.

Grateful to learn more about it all from our engineer.

Edited by sjn911

Let me weigh in here with a few comments. First off, we are taking it as gospel that the fire was caused by smoking, which is received at least third hand, from someone who was not involved in the incident. Secondly, we are also taking the claim of "severe damage" at face value, when again the report is at best third hand and not from someone involved at the scene.

For the OP who mentioned that the fire must be severe if the fire doors closed, this is not really the case. If a smoke detector goes off in any cabin or location in a vertical fire zone, regardless of which deck, the fire doors at either end of the fire zone will automatically close.

Now, to me anyway, some burned furnishings do not constitute "severe damage" to a cabin, but may to others. I just saw the comment from Heald about it being on a balcony, and SOLAS requires that either the balcony have a sprinkler, or that the furnishings be flame resistant, and that there is a smoke detector. Given a sprinkler in the cabin, I would believe the fire was dampened by this until the fire teams arrived, if it spread to the cabin at all. As to the time frame, it is standard practice to not call a fire "out" until about 30 minutes after it is "extinguished" to allow for checking whether there are still embers or hot spots, and particularly on ships you have to look for the possibility of hidden hot spots above the ceilings and between the cabin walls.

So, a fire happened, it was quickly dealt with, most likely without damage to adjoining cabins, though the passengers there may be inconvenienced by the smell of smoke for the remainder of the cruise. The party involved will likely be disembarked, naturally without any belongings as they were in the fire, but I seriously doubt they would be charged for the damages. The legal fees involved would more than offset the repair costs.

I'm guessing too this passenger would be added to Carnival's list of passengers who will no longer be accepted as future customers--the cruise lines' equivalent to the airlines' no-fly lists.

I'm guessing too this passenger would be added to Carnival's list of passengers who will no longer be accepted as future customers--the cruise lines' equivalent to the airlines' no-fly lists.

Why? They were the recipient of a butt, as another poster reported.

6335 was the cabin. It was reported that ashes from deck 10 landed on a towel.

Chair and towel was damaged

This was reported at the diamond party by the captain

This is from the original sorce that is on the ship.

Captain also said they are reviewing film

So I guess the guy in the cabin didn't do anything wrong but left his towel outside

6335 is an interior room, so must not be the correct room #. Edit:Never mind I was looking on the Breeze.

Edited by EmmasNana

Is there an outdoor smoking area on Deck 10? The forward part of that deck are Cloud 9 cabins, and directly above the location of the fire is Waterworks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I googled Carnival Sunshine smoking areas. It says Deck 10. Unless I read it wrong.

Is there an outdoor smoking area on Deck 10? The forward part of that deck are Cloud 9 cabins, and directly above the location of the fire is Waterworks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Carnival (among other locations):

Outdoors: Smoking is permitted in designated areas on Deck 3 (port side) and Deck 10 (starboard side).

Depending on smoke and water damage in putting it out there may still be significant damage. It does not take much of either in a small space to cause furnishings an carpeting to be a loss. I would hate to be occupant of that cabin if all or many of my things got wet and smoky.

May not be structural damage though.

okay, so. What we know: fire on deck 6 balcony. fire is out. ship heading on its merry way to San Juan.

What we are speculating: towel fire? just a towel? just the balcony? smoker on balcony? ashes from smoking area on deck 10, missing decks 7-9? cabin number 6335, which is a balcony on starboard side and aft of the smoking area on deck 10? Who's at fault? Who pays? who gets kicked off?

When will we know the true facts? How about never? Is never good enough for you?:D:D:rolleyes:. Maybe from a review in about 2-3 weeks. When the ship gets back.

okay, so. What we know: fire on deck 6 balcony. fire is out. ship heading on its merry way to San Juan.

What we are speculating: towel fire? just a towel? just the balcony? smoker on balcony? ashes from smoking area on deck 10, missing decks 7-9? cabin number 6335, which is a balcony on starboard side and aft of the smoking area on deck 10? Who's at fault? Who pays? who gets kicked off?

When will we know the true facts? How about never? Is never good enough for you?:D:D:rolleyes:. Maybe from a review in about 2-3 weeks. When the ship gets back.

A review might provide some answers or just more speculation; "I heard a passenger telling another passenger that she heard a passenger telling someone that a crew member was telling another crew member that a passenger said -------------". :D :D