Insurance Claim ~ Is it worth the paper work

Iamthesea

My mother had to see the ships doctor last week because of some back pain (muscle spasms.) The doctor was great and she prescribed three prescriptions. My mother was very grateful and the pain went away the next day. The total for RX and the visit came to $104. A bargain in my book. However, my mother wants to submit a claim to Travelex because they purchased the insurance...why not take advantage of it.:rolleyes: I say it is not worth the bother, but told her I would find out if it is going to be a headache in doing so.

Another thought ... Because of the weather, we had to stay at sea an extra two days and then we disembarked at a port 45 minutes away from our original port. Although Princess offered free shuttles, we knew we could not make our flight if we had waited for the shuttle, so we took a cab to the tune of $100 (4 of us including tip.) Is this something else my parents could/should claim? My parents paid for the cab.

I filled out a form, addressed an envelope and put a 37c stamp on it for a $95 medical claim, but I'm not rich.

As far as the $100 taxi, insurance should pay if trip interruption is included coverage, but you may need to fill out another form for that:mad: .

I would definitely fill out a claim form....you have already paid for the insurance so you might as well use it. Just be aware they may want you to send it to your own insurance first and they will pick up any difference...but as someone said its only 37 cents to give it a try.

I would definitely fill out a claim form....you have already paid for the insurance so you might as well use it. Just be aware they may want you to send it to your own insurance first and they will pick up any difference...but as someone said its only 37 cents to give it a try.

:confused:

:confused:

I probably wouldn't just for the meds/doctor visit. But that is me. I had to repair luggage after a cruise and didn't submit it.

FYI - last year, when some ships had to stay at sea for 2 extra days, people submitted their receipts for extra tips for each extra day at sea (extra trip expenses due to weather) and were reinbursed for that (plus extra clothes they bought for the 2 extra days at sea). I would look into this plus the cab ride and probably submit that to the insurance. And while doing that - include the medication and doctor visit (since you now have a few other things to claim).

Last year I had to see the ship's nurse. The bill came to a total of $53.07. I submitted it to my Provincial (Canada) health plan & they rejected because I saw a nurse & not a doctor. I then submitted the rejected response to my group plan at work. They too rejected it because I saw a nurse not a doctor. I then submitted the whole shebang to the travel insurance & was reimbursed the whole $53.07. So for me it was worth the 3 stamps.

As for the taxi receipt, I would submit it as well. The worst they can say is no. I am sure insurance company will hope you don't think it is worth the effort, that way they get the premiums & don't have to pay out. Great deal for them.

Yes, we had trip interruption. Where did you get the form? Is it online or do we need to send for one? Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't finished unpacking and cannot locate my insurance packet for answers.

Most insurance companies provide online forms for travel coverage, but you will need your confirmation Nr./Policy ID which is, ta da, in your insurance packet.

So unpack already - there's no rush, unless you really need the money now!:o

I just asked my DH and he said we don't have a receipt for the taxi. I told him about submitting the extra gratuity and any clothes we had to buy for the extra days (he bought shorts and would perfume count? :D ) DH said not to worry about it as it was only around $75 for gratuity and shorts.

I will tell my mother to go ahead and file for her doctors visit if she wants to.

Thanks all!

Yes, absolutely have her submit the claim. I had to see the ship's doctor last month and the bill was $120. I also had Travelex. They are primary coverage insurers, so you don't have to submit to your own medical insurance first. I called them, two days later I had the claim form in my hand, it was very, very easy to complete (front side of one page), attached the bill, and two weeks later I had a check in my hand.

You can also submit a claim for the added expenses regarding your extra days at sea. But you do have to have receipts.

Archived