Has anyone gone on a cruise and not got off the ship/ or done excursions

cocacola86

I came back to the ship after a Dunns River Falls morning climb and the pools were empty. Announcements were made that they would refill the pools and hot tubs after we left the Ocho Rios harbor, where runoff from a recent storm had elevated certain bacteria. Engineering did not want to chance taking the suspect water into the ships water circulation.

Everyone knows that Carnival treats ocean water and mixes it with the ship's water supply for use in its pools, hot tubs and water works/slides, right?

And you do know the "ships water supply" is desalinated sea water too? The hot tubs are not sea water but ship supply fresh water as are the water slides as the salt corrodes...

I was just curious if anyone has ever stayed on the ship while in port or when in port not do any excursions and just walked around and did you find you had just as good of time if you had done an excursion?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We love staying on the nearly empty ship.

We have been on the PRIDE four times and after the first time now we just stay on the ship and enjoy sitting anywhere we want. We went on the DREAM out of Port Canaveral to Western Caribbean and left the ship on four of the ports. Never again. We just enjoy the ship now that we are in our golden years!!!

I was just curious if anyone has ever stayed on the ship while in port or when in port not do any excursions and just walked around and did you find you had just as good of time if you had done an excursion?

Lots of things to do on board while in port. We don't get bored.

We no longer get off the ship in Grand Cayman, Belize and Roatan. We've been there too many times to really enjoy it. I can no longer snorkel, or am as mobile as I once was, so there is really no reason to get off in Grand Cayman or Belize. We've done all the tours, played with the stingrays, went to Hell, saw the turtle farm, window shopped watches at Kirk's, did the cave tubing, visited the cays. We've also toured Roatan and did beach days there and walked the Carnival Mahogany Bay Mall and since they put in Mahogany Bay, Roatan doesn't seem the same.

We still get off in Cozumel even though we have been there about 20+ times. I am also one of the minority who really likes Costa Maya. We enjoy taking a cab to Majuhal (sp) and just grabbing a drink or sitting on the beach. The mayan ruins are interesting but three times is enough.

I love my time on board while in port. The ship is less crowded. More room at the pool and there is actually a lot going on.

The Serenity areas are a great place to go if you stay on board.

If it is a port we've never been to then we definitely are getting off the ship.

Take care,

Mike

I was just talking about this very thing with DH just now, we are going to be staying on the ship at least one port for the next few cruises.

After so many visits to some of the ports, we wouldn't mind staying on the ship to just relax and take it easy. It makes me tired to always be on the go. I guess I'm getting old! :rolleyes:

Yes I have. The NY-Port Canaveral (stay on ship)-Nassau (stay on ship)-Great Stirrup Cay (missed due to weather) route I stayed on the ship all the time, twice. I don't get off the ship in PC, Nassau, Grand Cayman. I do my own thing in St. Thomas and sometimes other ports. Many, many ports we have just "walked around" or taken the local bus, including Bermuda. Rarely do we ever do an excursion and never do we do a ship based excursion.

We just got off a cruise and I (and my mother in her wheelchair) didn't get off at any port. The ports were Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport.

We did this exact cruise last month so didn't feel the need to get off again in Grand Turk (this was the 3rd time this year we went there), or Freeport. Since my mother uses a wheelchair and cannot take a few steps, tendering to HMC is out of the question.

Normally we would have gotten off in Grand Turk (I do like that port) but it was so hot and the sun was just relentless. I think it's actually been too hot this summer and I'm done with the intense heat and sun.

On our last cruise back in 2014, we took the Dream out of New Orleans. The last Port was Cozumel, Mexico, and I just didn't feel like getting off the ship that day. It was hot, muggy, and we didn't have any plans. Hubby and i stayed on the ship, drank, lounged around, and just relaxed. It was nice to have the ship just about to ourselves.

The winter before DH had both knees replaced we did a 4 day on Sensation. With the walking we had to do to board and just getting around the ship he just didn't have any interest in sight seeing. We never left the ship and it was wonderful. Totally relaxing, which is always our goal.

After getting to the gate for our flight home, he was in agony. As soon as we settled back in he scheduled his surgery. that trip convinced him he was ready, even though he was not yet 60. He is like a new man!!!

We've been cruising for many years, and we've visited most places, at least in the Caribbean, many times. When we cruise in early 2017 on the Carnival Pride, we'll stay on the ship again. Usually when we cruise in the winter months, we like to relax, play some trivia, gamble a little, and not be on any schedule. Another plus is when everyone leaves for excursions, etc., the Serenity Deck clears out, and you have your choice of a lounge chair. You feel like you have the ship all to yourself.

Never got off of Victory in January. In the past 5 cruises I have been off the Ship in one port, this April in Jamaica. The group made me go on a private bus tour. I prefer to stay on board and enjoy the peace and quiet not to mention the cocktails I have already paid for. In Jamaica the bus stopped at Margaritaville. $$$$ ouch.

I rarely get off the ship any more. I like it when it's empty for a few hours and then enjoy talking to people who got off in ports and seeing what they did. If it's somewhere I've never been, I'll venture out.

Was on Sunshine in July, got on in NYC and never set foot on land till we went back home. 8 days.

I would be very happy doing a cruise that was all sea days.

There are a few ports I really enjoy but even if I do get off the ship it's for just a couple of hours, sometimes less. I'm definitely a ship, not a trip person [emoji568]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the time. I never do Carnival planned excursions.... except when I wanted to go to Chichen Itza...

In May I took my son and 2 nephews on the Inspiration as they had all turned 21 in the past months. I had broken my tibia and patella in a bad fall and was either in a wheel chair or on crutches. I stayed onboard and sent them on a deep sea fishing trip. If the weather had been nicer I would have been parked on the Serenity deck, but instead I just relaxed and checked out some of the trivia games. I wasn't going to cancel the cruise, so I made the best of it. I will admit, had it been somewhere other than Ensenada, I would have made more of an effort to enjoy the port.