Downgrading policy

mistyinca

Does anyone know what the policy is on cabin changes that are for categories lower than the one currently booked?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was told by my PVP that you can always upgrade but not down grade. I tried down grading to a lower category as well. If you are able to, please advise how.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the policy is on cabin changes that are for categories lower than the one currently booked?

Thanks

According to the customer rep(s) I talked to you can't downgrade unless you cancel which for me would have penalties because I booked early saver. They will only let you upgrade. I ran into this because after I booked we have some family that also got a balcony and we wanted to have connecting rooms. They would let us stay in the same category or upgrade, but not downgrade.

Is this even before final payment date? My cruise is paid for but final payment date is 9/11. Thanks.

As long as you did not book early saver rate, you can cancel and re-book before final payment date with no penalty. Of course if you had some kind of OBC, you will lose that when you cancel also

Is this even before final payment date? My cruise is paid for but final payment date is 9/11. Thanks.

It totally depends on what type of fare you have. If you have ES, then the answer is yes, there will be a penalty even before final payment date. I'm not even sure if you can do the whole "cancel and rebook" thing with ES, as the credit cannot be applied to the same sailing that you canceled.

That's what the cruise line wants you to believe. I have downgraded from balcony to ocean view, from suite to balcony a number of times. Even as Early Saver. A TA will do this for you without any problem.

The only time a TA can do it without a penalty is if a TA hasn't actually booked your room they are just holding the room for you but hasn't applied your money towards your room. Many TAs do that. They take your money but don't apply it, in other words they take it from you but keep it in their pocket instead of giving it to the cruise line instead until final payment is due. They have blocks of rooms held so you have a room they will put you into a different room if they still have one in their block open that you want.

They aren't working any kind of magic with Carnival they are just drawing interest on your money until final payment date.

The only time a TA can do it without a penalty is if a TA hasn't actually booked your room they are just holding the room for you but hasn't applied your money towards your room. Many TAs do that. They take your money but don't apply it, in other words they take it from you but keep it in their pocket instead of giving it to the cruise line instead until final payment is due. They have blocks of rooms held so you have a room they will put you into a different room if they still have one in their block open that you want.

They aren't working any kind of magic with Carnival they are just drawing interest on your money until final payment date.

In today's market, with zero interest rates, I think your last sentence is meaningless. Penny less too.