Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

So that was our day at Palomino Island. It was wonderful. I could and would go there again in a heartbeat. It was really beautiful there with so much to do.

But...the day wasn't over yet. Except for it's over for me right now since I need more pictures to continue. :D

So last night I was on CCL website and did a mock booking for this Fascination cruise for next year and the price is right...I did a 24 hour hold...BUT I still have to discuss with DH....

Rut row (said in my scooby voice). :D I honestly can not believe how cheap this cruise was for us. It's the cheapest cruise I have ever had with Carnival. I just couldn't pass it up. If I could find cruises like that for 3 people all the time...watch out! :p I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

It's not the cars counterbalancing themselves as you're right, they are totally separate (two funiculars), but a big metal block underneath the track. We could always tell when a car was coming because we could hear the block move.

We stayed down at the bottom of the hill last year and for giggles, I mapped the walk from the lobby. To our room. It was 1/3 of a mile!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oooooohhhh. Gotcha. I have no idea about the type of things. Ask me about fish. Yea, go ahead, let's talk about fish instead. I can probably hold down a decent conversation then. :p :o :D LOL (Just playing with ya).

Awesome photos of PR. That is some resort hotel, you're staying at!!

Thank you for taking the precious time to do this photo review. :)

It sure is! I owe it all to a lady here on the forums that stayed there and told me about it. I love this helpful community. :)

Once we got back up toward the hotel grounds where we were staying, it was time for a little bit of pool fun. (Like if we haven't had enough water for the day). We went to the closest pool to us.

P8130524%20copy-L.jpg

P8130525%20copy-L.jpg

Once again, daddy in the water (I think this is a new record for him since he usually sets things out and leaves the swimming to me and Sakari).

IMG_5229%20copy-L.jpg

P8130526%20copy-L.jpg

P8130527%20copy-L.jpg

P8130528%20copy-L.jpg

I let daddy borrow my goggles so that he could play in the water with Sakari. Well, actually they are his goggles that I put claim on after my goggles broke a few cruises ago.

P8130542%20copy-L.jpg

P8130543%20copy-L.jpg

While they were off "playing" I wanted to take a walk and see what the other pool had to offer and off I went.

P8130551%20copy-L.jpg

P8130548%20copy-L.jpg

P8130552%20copy-L.jpg

P8130553%20copy-L.jpg

P8130575%20copy-L.jpg

P8130574%20copy-L.jpg

P8130573%20copy-L.jpg

P8130577%20copy-L.jpg

P8130576%20copy-L.jpg

I made my way back to the pool area and knew that my hubby would wonder what happened to me. I would let him know that there's some really neat things to see, but he would have to wait until we got home and I uploaded the pictures. LOL

Back to the pool to join the family playing in the pool. The sky continued to get a little more gloomy and I knew we were about to get a downpour.

P8130578%20copy-L.jpg

4XH4mHpEOuk

Then it hit us...the rain started and the hubby ran for cover under the umbrella.

P8130581%20copy-L.jpg

He would learn really quick that the rain felt very cold and the water was extremely warm. We were already wet, so why not...

P8130582%20copy-L.jpg

The rain got harder. But it was ok. Well, at least with Sakari and I.

HA! I actually caught a bit of a double under/over picture. If you look close enough, you'll also see the rain drop(s) that I also miraculously captured in mid air.

P8130590%20copy-L.jpg

As we were in the pool, one of the pool attendants came around and was closing the umbrellas. Well, our pool bags, towels, cell phones and all were sitting on the chair under it. She CLOSED IT and all the rain on top of the umbrella poured on top of our things as if someone had collected a bucket of water and dumped it. Then of course the rain on top of that. WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS? Especially seeing that there were things in the chairs directly under the umbrella and we were standing in the pool about 3 feet away from it. We are not the only one's that they did this to. Several people beside us had the water and rain poured on their things too. They were a little upset as well.

Thank goodness that there is a pool towel hut and we could change out our wet pool towels as often as we wanted.

The rain did stop eventually. So, we decided to head back to our room and take a shower and get ready for the night (at 7:30pm, yes it was a full day). I had originally told Sakari that we might come back to the pool later (since all of the pools are open 24/7), but we would decide that we were just too worn out to return again (even with Sakari still begging for more pool time).

Edited by mitsugirly

After taking a shower, yes more water, us girls were getting ready in our HUGE bathroom and decided to take a selfie and send to my oldest daughter...rubbing in our new dark tan.

IMG_5230%20copy-M.jpg

I remember seeing someone carrying 3 pizza's down by the pool earlier in the day. I mentioned this to the hubby. He said he knew exactly where they got it from (the outdoor restaurant/bar area above the pool).

P8130622%20copy-L.jpg

We ordered a pizza and just kind of hung out in the area (me taking pictures of course) until it was done. I believe the pizza was $15.

We brought it back to the room to eat because the hubby had to do some work.

P8130629%20copy-L.jpg

But of course, like anything else, it was expensive for what you get. It was a pretty small pizza and very thin (which I like thin, but when you are hungry, it's not as filling and we are sharing between 3 people).

Sakari had 4 pieces, which only left us 2 pieces, which wasn't about to fill us.

P8130630%20copy-L.jpg

After awhile, the hubby and I decided that we would go food hunting for us this time. We felt as though we had only had a snack at this point. Sakari, of course, was full. I did mention just getting another pizza and splitting it, but he said he was all "pizza-ed out". I had forgotten that he also had pizza for lunch at the island. Oops.

We walked all over the place and the hubby talked me into the Asian restaurant. They ask if we would like the sit down restaurant or where they cook in front of you. We decided on the restaurant since the hibachi grill area was about double the price.

P8130665%20copy-L.jpg

We were the only one's in the restaurant and there was a family at the grill. Not busy at all.

P8130666%20copy-L.jpg

I immediately told the server that our daughter was not going to be eating and that she had already had her dinner. He sorted smirked and still handed her the menu. Now they do have signs posted up that if you "share" a plate, they will charge you (I think it was) $25.00. Geesh.

P8130670%20copy-L.jpg

Of course she said "I'm not hungry mommy". I explained to her that it was ok and she didn't have to order anything.

We ordered our drinks and they gave us our menu.

P8130668%20copy-L.jpg

P8130669%20copy-L.jpg

P8130667%20copy-L.jpg

NOW LET THE FUN BEGIN....

I had wanted to order the chicken garlic meal for $20.50, but he stated that it came with white rice. Well, I didn't want (or like) white rice and ask about fried rice. He said I would have to buy it separate... for $14.50. Um...no thanks. I'll find something else. Then I also ask about the crispy honey chicken. He kinda rolled his eyes and said...well, if you want chicken nuggets and white rice. Wait, what? Chicken nuggets? He said yep, that's what we use. Um...you are going to charge me $20.50 for some chicken nuggets with white rice? Are you serious? Once again he suggested purchasing the fried rice. He was really trying to make a sell...at least that's what it seemed like. So, I'm getting aggravated and said "Now why would I buy a dish of chicken nuggets for $20.50 that I'm going to waste the white rice and purchase the rice I really want for another $14.50? Does it really make sense that I would spend $35.00 just to get the two things I wanted? (The hubby was in the same dilemma not wanting white rice).

We told him we would have to continue to look at the menu and give us some time. He acted as if we were putting him off and wasting his time. I really did not like his attitude at this point.

At one point I inquired about the Lo Mein noodles, but of course it didn't come with any rice. He did mention that we should get the fried rice and he could bring out 2 bowls and we could share it with our meal. After saying we would just do that he said "ok, so one crispy chicken with white rice meal, one chicken garlic with white rice, and one fried rice side dish to split". Um no...I don't want the other meal with the white rice, like I said, I'm not paying $20.50 for chicken nuggets. He sighed and said "well the fried rice is a side dish". I said "then just give us two of them if it's that small and we'll just have to have rice for dinner with no chicken".

He kept pushing the issues of getting another dish with chicken and stated "You can easily get the fried rice and split it because it's a big portion" Wait...you just told me it was too small to split and we should get our own. MAKE UP YOUR MIND DUDE...I DON'T LIKE YOU NOW! This guy was so inconsistent with his stories and totally had me ticked off. At this point I just said "Ok, give us 2 fried rice side dishes and it will have to do. I'm tired of this back and forth."

He ask what our daughter wanted. I told him "As I said when we were first seated AND after you still handed her a menu, she has already had dinner and is not hungry". He snatched her menu and walked away.

When he returned to our table, he gathered up all of the plates and napkins and brought out 3 other plates, placing one in front of Sakari. This guy just doesn't give up. I did read the sign saying that if you share, they charge you $25. You are not about to try to insist that she "shared" because she highly insisted on not eating anything.

When they brought our food out, I swear it still looked like white rice. There was barely any "brown" to it. The hubby is like "for real?" I flagged him down to ask if this was supposed to be the fried rice and he replied yes. I ask for some soy sauce. This was the most bland meal I think I have ever had at an Asian restaurant. I loaded my meal with soy sauce and it was still bland...or started to taste like straight soy sauce for dinner.

What do you know...it had chicken in it. But, this chicken tasted just like they had put it on the stove top and just boiled it. It was chewy and just nasty.

P8130671%20copy-L.jpg

We honestly ate about 5 bites and were done. I was so disgusted, upset, ticked off, and mentally worn out by this experience.

He came by once asking if everything was ok. I actually spoke up (which is totally not me) and told him "No, actually it's not. It doesn't taste good at all." So what do you think he said/did? He said "are you finished then?" and removed our plates. There was no I'm sorry, would you like to try something else, no nothing.

A few minutes later a lady came over and I thought maybe she was going to talk to us about it. She ask how things were as she collected the silverware, napkins and other things off our table. I also let her know our thoughts. She didn't say one word after that either. Not one word!

We waited and waited and waited...then he finally brought us our bill. $40+ for a meal we absolutely hated and had to endure quite a bit of rudeness and only ate 5 bites of. The bowls on the table they brought it out in was still completely full and so were our plates. But it was over with and we were ready to get out of there.

We headed back to our room both mentally and physically exhausted. I think Sakari knew I just wasn't myself and she ask if I wanted a foot and back massage. :eek: Well of course my child. Bring it on...and she did for almost an hour!!! She is amazing!

Soon after, we headed to bed (early for us).

So that completes day 2.

I'm honestly not sure if I will be able to get back tomorrow or not. I have managed to completely avoid my big essay paper for this week (dreading it) and I HAVE to work on it as much as I would rather just be here reliving my cruise with you all.

Depending on how good (or bad) it goes, I might be back, but I still have to get more pictures ready for the next day.

I'm flattered to those of you that are here and enjoying the review. Hang in there...more to come. :)

Oh I almost forgot...I got a video (the video is not the point, the sound is) of these tree frogs and their extremely LOUD sound. The area inside the part of the hotel we were located in (which formed a square) was loaded with these things. They actually made for a good "white noise" when we went to bed. They put me to sleep. Did I mention how loud they were? LOL

edxBVq9jUu4

That island did not disappoint! It looked beautiful! I think even my DH, who for some unknown reason does not love beaches like I do :confused: would enjoy that beach. :D Your dinner, on the other hand, did not sound so good. :(

It definitely didn't disappoint. It was really beautiful and had I been staying at the resort longer, I'm sure we would have managed to return again.

All caught up now! Great read as always Kim. That resort and island look awesome (except for the Asian place). :) Leaving on the Sunshine tomorrow, so I'll have to catch up again when we get back.

Thanks and have an awesome cruise!! I definitely want to go on the Sunshine...another "to-do" item on my list. (I have too many to-do list at this point, I'll never catch up).

I'll be looking for your review. Where are you headed this time?

Those pictures of the private island are amazing. The brightness of the blues is stunning. It's hard to believe you took them with a non-DSLR camera.

Thank you and glad you are enjoying them. I have been super amazed by both of my cameras. They have so many neat settings on them and I just love the "miniature" setting (which is like a tilt shift) and it REALLY REALLY pops the picture. I don't even bother to carry my DSLR anymore. I will probably only take my DSLR if we do an Alaskan cruise because I know I'll need a zoom. :D