Mama Lou...It is with heavy heart....>

IRL_Joanie

I am very saddened to hear of Mama Lou's passing. I feel terribl le for gthe crew who bec ame quite attached to her. Copper, John, comes to mind.

Edited by sail7seas

I had the privilege of meeting her. She was coming out of one of the shops. She told me all about the different uniforms the staff on the ship wears. She said that she would have a different one on tomorrow. She had one

of all of them. I don't remember what ship nor year. he was in a wheelchair

at the time.

She will differently be missed.

I wonder if she will be buried at sea.

She was a regular on the ship from Tampa in the winter season. She often had extra luggage filled with goods for the kids in Guatemala where the ship stopped on its western Caribbean cruises. The crew were devoted to her care and she to them. A Holland America love story, she lived her dreams.

Thanks for posting Joanie, although I am not happy to learn this news.

Our family had the pleasure of sharing one voyage with her; the New Year's 2013 7 day on the Ryndam out of Tampa. It was raining when we left and when we got to the Crow's Nest after the Muster drill there was no room so we were in the Captain's Corner area and back from the window. Mama Lou was at the window and she made room for DS and DD. She loved children! Gave them treats and was so kind.

At each port there were people who loved her. Here is a picture of us in Mexico. She insisted she stand in the picture.

enhance

The literally dozen of wonderful stories I have heard about Mama Lou over the years are a tribute to what an amazing, fun, and inspirational person she was. She lived a life that gave so many joy. What an legacy to leave behind.

Smooth sailing to new ports of call, dear lady. Memory eternal!

you can leave a message here Louise Edna Meis

obits/dignitymemorial.com June 15,1924 Aug 26, 2016

I googled her name This is Dignity Memorial in Gotha FL near Orlando. I did not see a full obit

Edited by catl331

Our Winter '13 Caribbean cruise was on the Ryndam...one of the first things I did when at Guest Services was ask if Mama Lou was on board...as I hadn't seen her around the ship. She wasn't...they hadn't heard from her...and had emailed her children to make sure she was OK. She was a well known "fixture" on the Ryndam.

This great lady, Mama Lou, will be missed.

I met her on ms Ryndam in 2010. I'm originally from Texas and I recognized it immediately in her voice. So we spent a lot of that cruise together talking about "home".

Fair winds and following seas to a charming lady.

Met her once on the Ryndam. Amazing lady with the dressed up walker. I remember her stuffed cat. She was always happy and smiling. Everyone said Hello and got one back from her. She knew all the staff on the ship and they did flock to her as she treated them with respect and friendship. God Bless her.