Service charges

holidayhelen

As was noted on another thread to which you responded, any adjustments downward of the Daily Service Charge must be done online after the cruise has ended.

I can't tell you about upwards adjustments, as I've not done that. I tend to provide additional gratuities in cash to individuals. I realize that this is different from increasing the amount for everyone in the pool, but just giving you my feedback and experience.

--Michael

As was noted on another thread to which you responded, any adjustments downward of the Daily Service Charge must be done online after the cruise has ended.

I can't tell you about upwards adjustments, as I've not done that. I tend to provide additional gratuities in cash to individuals. I realize that this is different from increasing the amount for everyone in the pool, but just giving you my feedback and experience.

--Michael

Thank you - I have also responded to another thread but was not sure if this was the 'norm'. On other cruise ships you can adjust the charges simply by filling in a form at reception. It has been many, many years since we sailed with NCL and I am not sure how their system works

It depends how/where you booked. The rules for US customers are not the same as for UK customers, for example. When you are on board, ask at the front desk and they will look up your booking and determine the correct procedure for you. You may be able to have the charges reduced or removed immediately.

Can service charges be amended onboard the ship during a cruise - up or down? Or is it a compulsory charge?
The policies differ for those from the UK, then they do for those in the US who have to submit a form to have them removed or reduced.

Since you are from the UK and I assume you booked through UK travel agent or NCL UK and not a US travel agent or NCL US, you can amend (up or down) or remove your service charges on the ship (at Guest Services) and I believe you can removed them prior to your cruise (not 100% sure about this, however.) It is not a compulsory charge.

Edited by NLH Arizona

My apologies for not noticing you are from the UK. My response would have been different.

No problem - I wasn't aware that things were different from UK and US - you would think the policies would be the same no matter where you are from.

Thank you anyway

No problem - I wasn't aware that things were different from UK and US - you would think the policies would be the same no matter where you are from.

Thank you anyway

Consumer laws in UK and US are different so that affects being able or not, removing the Service Charge.

US passengers used to be able to remove it at Guest Services but NCL changed the rules. However because Uzk consumer laws are different, the new ruling did not apply to UK passengers.

Edited by NMLady

Why would one not want to give gratuities? The staff works very hard for less than a fair wage. We not only leave the charge but throughout the cruise will give cash gratuities to wait staff, room steward, camp staff etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why would one not want to give gratuities? The staff works very hard for less than a fair wage. We not only leave the charge but throughout the cruise will give cash gratuities to wait staff, room steward, camp staff etc

Not at all what they asked. :rolleyes:

Why would one not want to give gratuities? The staff works very hard for less than a fair wage. We not only leave the charge but throughout the cruise will give cash gratuities to wait staff' date=' room steward, camp staff etc

[/quote']

Because arguing about gratuities is great sport on the NCL forum.

--Michael

I had a lot of OBC when we were last on the Gem and I was able to give a tip through my onboard account to specific individuals by filling out a voucher at guest services with their name and department.

I had a lot of OBC when we were last on the Gem and I was able to give a tip through my onboard account to specific individuals by filling out a voucher at guest services with their name and department.

That's good to know! Thank you!

--Michael

That's good to know! Thank you!

--Michael

You are welcome (although I probably should mention that I had purchased the OBC, it wasn't promotional from anyone because I don't think that you can do that with the promotional OBC).

Nobody asked your opinion about gratuities.

On my sailing a few months ago, the day before disembarkation we were left a "check out" type slip with our detailed summary of expenses that noted that if we wanted to change the service charge or had a service or billing related issue and had any problems with our bill that we needed revised, we had to do it on the ship at guest services and close out the account before leaving the ship as nothing would be reversible after leaving the ship. I am from the US (and booked in the US). Sounds now like the procedure is that you CAN'T do it on ship if you're from the US? Does anyone know if they changed the policy or is it a possibility that it just differs ship to ship?

PLEASE NOTE: I didn't change them then and don't intend to this time, not looking to argue about the service charge, just curious about the policy.

On my sailing a few months ago, the day before disembarkation we were left a "check out" type slip with our detailed summary of expenses that noted that if we wanted to change the service charge or had a service or billing related issue and had any problems with our bill that we needed revised, we had to do it on the ship at guest services and close out the account before leaving the ship as nothing would be reversible after leaving the ship. I am from the US (and booked in the US). Sounds now like the procedure is that you CAN'T do it on ship if you're from the US? Does anyone know if they changed the policy or is it a possibility that it just differs ship to ship?

PLEASE NOTE: I didn't change them then and don't intend to this time, not looking to argue about the service charge, just curious about the policy.

You need to go to guest services and receive a form that you submit after the cruise asking for an adjustment.

Ahh Sparks, that makes sense! It may have said that all along - go to guest services FOR THE FORM if you needed to make any corrections or adjustments, or you wouldn't be able to later. As I didn't need to change anything, I didn't linger on it, just remember it did have in bold type a notice that you MUST go to guest services WHILE ON THE SHIP if you intended to change it or your account would be closed and finalized.

You are welcome (although I probably should mention that I had purchased the OBC, it wasn't promotional from anyone because I don't think that you can do that with the promotional OBC).

Even though promotional OBC cannot be used toward DSC, it CAN be used for extra gratuity vouchers.