Flow Rider - Up or Down?

Which would you recommend for a young at heart first timer? Surfing or boogie boarding?

Boogie boarding is much easier to get started. Personally I found it boring though and I prefer to do stand up.

Some tips to get started at stand up:

Whichever is your dominant foot, place that in the back about 2-3 inches from the back of the board. Place about 65% of your weight on your back foot.

Bend your knees slightly and try to face forward. Don't look down at the board. Also try to keep your back and shoulders straight. Don't bend over.

I can't stress enough that you need to try to relax. When you watch people and they are struggle to stay up and they are wobbling all over the place, it's because they are tensing up and trying to keep the board straight. If you relax and keep your body in the position I just told you, the board will stay straight on its own.

Good luck. Flow boarding is addicting, hope you catch the bug. If you do end up really liking it and you cruise often or have one close to where you live, I suggest buying your own board. The outlaw boards that Royal Caribbean use suck and will make it harder for you to learn.

Edited by Lordnlkon

Which would you recommend for a young at heart first timer? Surfing or boogie boarding?

Stand up, while much more fun (in my opinion), will take most folks (especially if you are not 16) longer to get hang of. The tricks you do are skateboard tricks, shuvits, ollies, kick flips, acid drops, etc. So, if you have a skating background, you will, more than likely, do better. :D

I believe the most important thing you can learn in stand up is learning how to fall. If at all possible, always make sure you go up over the top of the wave feet first. With the force of the water, you can simply stand up when you get to the top instead of rolling over that plastic grate. If you feel the board going south simply SIT DOWN, do not fight it because you can get hurt. Yes, it is a trampoline surface; however, face planting, getting rolled, thrown over the top of the wave and into the back wall can and does hurt :eek:

Stand up, while much more fun (in my opinion), will take most folks (especially if you are not 16) longer to get hang of. The tricks you do are skateboard tricks, shuvits, ollies, kick flips, acid drops, etc. So, if you have a skating background, you will, more than likely, do better. :D

I believe the most important thing you can learn in stand up is learning how to fall. If at all possible, always make sure you go up over the top of the wave feet first. With the force of the water, you can simply stand up when you get to the top instead of rolling over that plastic grate. If you feel the board going south simply SIT DOWN, do not fight it because you can get hurt. Yes, it is a trampoline surface; however, face planting, getting rolled, thrown over the top of the wave and into the back wall can and does hurt :eek:

Thank you charger, I forgot that part about learning how to fall. It's very important.

I concur with everything said above. Definitely start on the body board. Be sure to take your bathing suit with you on embarkation day (don't pack it in your luggage you give to the porters). The flowrider typically opens around 1 pm and there are very few people in line that first day since many have their swim trunks in their luggage (which the porters have). You should be able to get more turns and not have to wait as long on embarkation day.

I am in my mid-40s and the first time I ever tried bodyboarding, I was on turning, up on my knees, and doing a couple of other tricks which they teach you and encourage you to try (though they have banned several of those tricks now) on my very first run ever. Do not be scared of it. It is quite easy and I got a bit bored of it after a few runs and trying stand up for the first time.

As for stand up....it is NOT easy to learn, however, it is extremely addictive if you enjoy it. You WILL fall...a lot. Falls will likely not hurt at all, but you will feel the effects of those falls 24 hours later (and longer). I was too timid to try stand up til the last day of our first RCCL cruise and always regret not trying it earlier in that cruise five years ago and giving myself the entire week to keep at it.

If you do try stand-up, I would recommend stretching a bit first. Inner thighs in case you do the splits while riding are recommended for a stretch. I find my forearms are often sore since you tend to put your hands down to stop you from falling flat on your face. I always stretch my forearms while in line waiting my turn. The worst pain is usually your neck. Falling incorrectly is like getting whiplash in a car. I STRONGLY recommend stretching your neck muscles in every direction before riding. Younger riders may not need to do this but once you hit 40....things seems to hurt a LOT more. That said, I now try to plan all my holidays to places where there is a wave to ride and I have bought my own board. Once you get the addiction, it is hard to keep it under control:D

So true.

Defiantly start bogging boarding so you can understand the feel of the wave.

Now you can book the flowrider for a private lesson but it costs a lot. A much cheaper option is a class. They take a limited number of students and you get plenty of time. The cost has always been reasonable. The student count generally around 8. You book in at the Flowrider waiver station. Ask on the first day and book a class at the very start so you can practice all week long.

Thanks for the advice. Down it is. 40 is definitely well in the rear view mirror, so staying in one piece is definitely a priority.

If I can master it, ANYONE can ;) Just have to give it a go. Here is my "signature move" and yes, I know the pros call this the "girl trick" and the "show pony" and none of them do it, but I think it's fun :D

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a6d720b3127cceed5615cffc0500000030O00AYtnDJu3ZMWYPbz4c/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00301277286120160901154509371.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

If I can master it, ANYONE can ;) Just have to give it a go. Here is my "signature move" and yes, I know the pros call this the "girl trick" and the "show pony" and none of them do it, but I think it's fun :D

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a6d720b3127cceed5615cffc0500000030O00AYtnDJu3ZMWYPbz4c/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00301277286120160901154509371.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Yikes! That would take a lot of lessons for me to master.

You go girl!

Sweet. A guy on my last cruise did that. He had just retired and was in his mid 60's. So like you said anyone can learn to flow board. Personally, for me anyways, boding boarding has almost nothing in common with stand up, so for those looking to get started, if you think you want to try stand up, go for it.

Edited by Lordnlkon

Yeah, I know that they call it a "girl trick" but I like doing that as well. Those watching always tend to think it is difficult but it is pretty simple. I have started entering the wave recently from the top in the Show Pony stance, which is not too difficult either. I am working on doing 360's in the Show Pony stance now as well. Do them sometimes, but have to be more consistent with them. Keep on riding Edna.

Yeah, I know that they call it a "girl trick" but I like doing that as well. Those watching always tend to think it is difficult but it is pretty simple. I have started entering the wave recently from the top in the Show Pony stance, which is not too difficult either. I am working on doing 360's in the Show Pony stance now as well. Do them sometimes, but have to be more consistent with them. Keep on riding Edna.

I am working on the show pony 360s too. Our home wave is rather steep and a single so I can almost get all of the way around. Going to try it on the Liberty in a couple of weeks :D I think trying it on a flatter wave with more room might help. We shall see :p

Sweet. A guy on my last cruise did that. He had just retired and was in his mid 60's. So like you said anyone can learn to flow board. Personally, for me anyways, boding boarding has almost nothing in common with stand up, so for those looking to get started, if you think you want to try stand up, go for it.

I agree and to learn all of the really cool tricks on body boarding, you are working your backside off. It is REALLY physical. I don't want to have to work that hard at having fun :D

I am working on the show pony 360s too. Our home wave is rather steep and a single so I can almost get all of the way around. Going to try it on the Liberty in a couple of weeks :D I think trying it on a flatter wave with more room might help. We shall see :p

Same on the single. I wish we had a double somewhere in DFW.