Just off the Maasdam 8/14-8/29 and I have the Flu!

EbayCruiser

First of all we had a wonderful time! The ship was in good condition, in fact, better than the last time we were on her several years ago. No problems with air conditioning or plumbing.

I started to feel like I was coming down with a cold on Sunday, 8/28. Throat was a little sore and I just felt kinda off. I was feeling worse on Monday and coughing some on the flight back home. I really just thought it was a cold. All day Tuesday I stayed home and did nothing I was feeling so bad. We went to bed Tuesday night and I just tossed and turned and felt completely terrible (temp, chills, runny nose and feeling nauseous and told my husband we needed to go to the ER. By this time, he was starting to feel bad too.

They tested me for the flu and it was positive. I have never had the flu in my life and usually get a flu shot. They prescribed Tamiflu for me and DH $288.42.

We were very careful on the ship to wash our hands and not touch elevator buttons, rails, etc. Used the Purell everytime was came back on ship and in the Lido but saw plenty of others that did not. In fact, it was the norm to not use the Purell.

Dr. says we will feel bad for about seven days, so we are laying low and drinking lots of fluids. Hope whoever got our stateroom sanitized it carefully or they could get sick.

SDorry you got the fl u while on your cruise.

Hope you feel better soon.

It is communicable through droplets, coughing, sneezing etc .

Edited by sail7seas

Glad that you had a wonderful cruise -- that 14 day cruise is wonderful.

Sorry to hear that you both have the Flu.

We always get our flu shots -- in fact we just got back from the doctor's a short time and got our flu shots. But in spite of getting them, I always get the flu each year.

Hope when you are feeling better you will write a review.

You just need one "Typhoid Mary" on a cruise and you will get it if it is airborne.

Happened to us (cruise crud cough) on the P'dam.

If you have travel insurance submit your receipts and they will cover the medical costs on board.

Sorry to hear you arrived unwell and hope you feel better soon.

Sounds like you had a great cruise until. Since you reported to the medical centre, I am quite sure that the cabin will be sanitized (At least, I hope so).

Get well soon :)

So sorry to hear this. Our super market has a big sign out front, "flu shots available." DH and I told each other it's too soon, not even September. Your story has changed my mind. We'll get ours in the next few days.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We leave on Sept 29 for 49 night cruise. Got our flu shots yesterday so they have a chance to be effective. Fingers crossed!

I had the flu on a Carnival one-time repositioning cruise from LA to NY around Cape Horn. Was in bed 4 solid days and moped around longer. Also had been very conscientious about washing hands but it hit me, not DH!! Many others had cruise crud cough and went to medical center but to no improvement. Sometimes these things just take time.

Hope you are feeling better soon. m--

I do not use Sanitizer often -- it kills everything even good bacteria --- I use essential oils --- Wild Orange as a sanitizer --- smells wonderful and only kills bad stuff --- diffuser in my room --

Won't blame a ship if I come home with something.

You just need one "Typhoid Mary" on a cruise and you will get it if it is airborne.

Happened to us (cruise crud cough) on the P'dam.

If you have travel insurance submit your receipts and they will cover the medical costs on board.

Sorry to hear you arrived unwell and hope you feel better soon.

Sounds like you had a great cruise until. Since you reported to the medical centre, I am quite sure that the cabin will be sanitized (At least, I hope so).

Get well soon :)

We did have travel insurance but did not feel sick enough on the ship to visit the Dr., only a minor sore throat and the weather was chilly. Just thought I was maybe getting a cold. We did not feel really ill until we got home so the room was not sanitized.

I did hear some people talking about seeing a room being cleaned with men in suits, is this what they do when they sanitize? Maybe that was the first signs of Noro or Flu.

My pharmacy started giving flu shots this week. I chose to wait and get it at my doctor's office I prefer to get it in early/mid Oct.

The ER said they are already seeing several cases of the flu. We always wait until October to get our flu shots too. I think you should be okay to wait since you are not traveling. I think being in confined places and around so many people increases your chances.

When I told the receptionist in the ER I had been on a cruise, her eyes got really wide! I told her it was an Alaskan cruise and we had only been out of the country in Canada. My DH stayed on the ship in Victoria and I took the shuttle to do a little shopping.

I do not use Sanitizer often -- it kills everything even good bacteria --- I use essential oils --- Wild Orange as a sanitizer --- smells wonderful and only kills bad stuff --- diffuser in my room --

Won't blame a ship if I come home with something.

I don't blame the ship, but I of course being around so many people does increase your chances.

First of all we had a wonderful time! The ship was in good condition, in fact, better than the last time we were on her several years ago. No problems with air conditioning or plumbing.

I started to feel like I was coming down with a cold on Sunday, 8/28. Throat was a little sore and I just felt kinda off. I was feeling worse on Monday and coughing some on the flight back home. I really just thought it was a cold. All day Tuesday I stayed home and did nothing I was feeling so bad. We went to bed Tuesday night and I just tossed and turned and felt completely terrible (temp, chills, runny nose and feeling nauseous and told my husband we needed to go to the ER. By this time, he was starting to feel bad too.

They tested me for the flu and it was positive. I have never had the flu in my life and usually get a flu shot. They prescribed Tamiflu for me and DH $288.42.

We were very careful on the ship to wash our hands and not touch elevator buttons, rails, etc. Used the Purell everytime was came back on ship and in the Lido but saw plenty of others that did not. In fact, it was the norm to not use the Purell.

Dr. says we will feel bad for about seven days, so we are laying low and drinking lots of fluids. Hope whoever got our stateroom sanitized it carefully or they could get sick.

Sorry about your flu but glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Feel better!