AMADagio Rhone Paris-Barcelona Live

SCHappilyRetired

We started our adventure Tuesday upon arrival at CDG. After a fiasco and free for all at border control (2 hours in line) a rep from AMA Waterways were patiently waiting for us outside of arrivals hall. We were taken by private car (surprised as we thought we would be on a large bus) for about an hour to our hotel Paris Pullman Montparnasse Hotel. Driver was very professional and handled all our bags into the hotel. There, a bellman waited for us to Check in. It is 11:00 am now. Official check in is at 3 pm so we knew our bags would have to be held until a room was ready. The hotel offered us an "upgrade" to a larger room for 12€ per night more. We decided to do that has that room was ready instead of waiting 4 hours. Not sure if that is the "usual" offer but we were traveling for 2 days, exhausted and wanted to shower. The room was clean and modern. Taxi stand directly in front and Gare Montparnasse around the corner. A bit further outside the attractions but fine for us. Vouchers for buffet breakfast were given to us also. We had lunch in their cafe as it was just convenient. We were greeted by our cruise manager, Uwe Nitschke, at the AMA desk and given a welcome packet for the 3 days we would be in Paris. There were 60 of us at the hotel so we were given 2 luggage "red" tags for our bags. Any other luggage you have besides the 2, you need to handle yourself on the transfer bus to Lyon so be aware of that. This color would tell us what color bus to be on for all AMA tours while in Paris. Continued....

At 6 pm we joined Uwe and the other passengers for a welcome glass of wine and overview of our days in Paris. That lasted about 1/2 hour then we were off. Our first night we booked a Seine dinner cruise on our own with Bateaux Parisians. We upgraded to their highest class, Premier and were not disappointed. Location is in the very front of the ship surrounded by glass ceiling to floor. Service and food were exceptional along with live entertainment. Expensive but well worth it to us. This was a relaxing way to start our vacation. We boarded around 8 pm for an 8:30 set sail cruise arriving back at the base of the Eiffel Tower at 11 to the Tower "sparkling". Up a large set of cement stairs the taxi stand awaited.

The next morning we had the usual hotel buffet. We started our AMA included Paris City Tour at 9 am and returning around 1 pm which was very nice. Our guide, Flavia ? Spl, probably was the best guide we ever had while traveling. We signed up for the optional Montmartre & Illuminations tour that night which started at 6:30 pm. We drove up by large bus (red) the boarded a small train, think tram, up the mont for a breathtaking view of the city. Free time for dinner and shopping (about 1 1/2 hours) then a funicular ride down to the large bus to head down and see Paris lit up in all its glory. We stopped at 11 pm for the Eiffel Tower sparkling show again then headed back to the hotel.

Our free day in Paris we booked a private tour to see 3 vineyards and a goat cheese farm. Not fond of whites but our first vineyard we purchased 3 different ones! We sampled 6. Goat farm had 500 goats that they milk twice daily. There was a small savory and sweet shop there along with different aged goat cheese. Samples for all. Next stop was Sancerre for a wine tasting and lunch (included). Our last stop was a very modern, yet small, winery where we sampled 6 or so. 2 were rouge and we fell in love with one and managed to purchase 3 rouge. I only bought wine bags for 3 so will need to wrap the others carefully. There were only 8 of us on the tour, very private. We had access to wineries off the beaten bath in Burgundy and Loire. All our bottles were signed by the winemaker so that will make for nice souvenirs. This was a 7:15 am to 7 pm tour in a minibus. A bit pricey but we wanted to get into the wine regions and in the tiny. Ill ages. Mission accomplished!

Continued....

We needed to have our 2 pieces of luggage out by 7 am and be in the lobby for Identification so Uwe could mark off. He kept track to be sure he had everyone's luggage. Very efficient! Had breakfast and met the bus at 8:15 am for our drop off at The train station for our high speed train to Lyon. The guide had us all validate our tickets at the kiosk. We needed to wait to see what track we would be on. They don't post until 20-30 minutes before the departure time. We, along with 3 others, upgraded to first class so we were on a different coach (section of train) than the others. Upper deck. We requested of AMA two forward facing seats but unfortunately, they ended up so we rode backwards. However, there were only around 6 others on our coach so we moved. It is a 2 hr 10 min ride and went by beautiful fields and small towns.

Continued....

We arrived at 12:10 pm and Uwe made sure he gathered all his "chicks" before heading to the buses. Upon arrival whatever hand luggage you had could be left on the bus for direct delivery to the ship. We bused and were dropped off at Bellecour square and given a map of the area. It is around 1:15 now. One bus group went to the cooking class in the square while the other group had time for lunch in the many cafes that the guide points out as you arrive. Then bus group reversed. We opted to have a long lunch and not do the cooking class as I had already signed up for the limited edition Provence cooking class. FYI, sign up for the limited edition class prior to boarding as some were already at capacity. We found a couple of chocolate stores after eating and managed to purchase some bars and truffles. Once done, we had a choice of a 2:15, 3:30 or 4:30 shuttle to the ship. We took the 2:15 and arrived at the ship in 15 or so minutes. We were greeted by the most friendly crew ever!! Champagne! We were then introduced to some of the upper class crew and given a very entertaining safety talk. BTW, only 109 pax on board!! Luggage was promptly delivered to our cabin B206 by 3:15 pm. This cabin has a forward facing bed, if anyone is interested. We were unpacked and settled in by the safety talk. We had the head Waiter approach us at the briefing to see if we wanted to take part in the Chef Table. I had already thought of another night but we decidied to do it on embarkment night. I think because we were the first shuttle in they wanted to book the speciality dining so the first night was full. Capacity of 24. Most asked did not even know what the Chef Table was! Rear of third floor, all glass enclosed with open kitchen. No extra charge either. Meal and service was impeccable! Wine throughout. A MUST!! Later we went to the sun deck with wine from the bar. DH likes his red wine chilled and the bartender put one in his fridge for him. Very accommodating! They offered late night snacks at 10:30 pm. We stayed overnight in Lyon. We did raft next to Tauck's Swiss Emerald. Since our cabin was port side we had the luxury of looking out over the river into the city instead of Tauck's ship. Our daily cruiser for the next day was on our bed when we returned back to the cabin.

Continued.....

Early risers pastries were available from 6:30-7:30 am. Breakfast buffet 7:30-9:30. There was an omelet station along with off the menu ordering. What a spread! Late risers pastries from 9:30-10:30. The Lyon city tour left at 9:30 which consisted of a bus/walk tour til 1:30. DH went but I stayed behind. My mobility challenge left me with very swollen ankles from OA and I just needed some rest time. He said it was a nice. It's kinda a small Paris. Lunch started at 1:15 in the dining room or a light lunch of soup and sandwich in the lounge. You could order off menu or take part in the buffet. Escargot and frogs legs were on my plate! Yes, I'm a foodie and enjoy those odd offerings! This afternoon is free time to enjoy the ship or go back I to town. BTY we sailed AMADagio her first year and now 10 years later she has held up extremely well. No complaints here! There was a tea time in the lounge from 3:30-4:30 and a travellong solo meet up at 6 pm. At 6:15 Uwe will give a cruise overview in the lounge and 7 pm dinner. Entertainment to follow in the lounge with Adele & Bernard as we set sail for Collagnes. Will keep posting as we sail. This is truly, so far, exceeded our expectations in every way!

I'll be getting on when you get off. Please ask if Ule will be on the cruise next week. We are taking a tour on Friday (private with another couple traveling with us) to St Remy, wineries, etc and they will drop us off at the dock in Arles. Other friends who are also doing this cruise are doing the pre and post so I'll tell them to read your postings.

What was on the menu for the Captains Table? Any special places you stop, eat or shop would be wonderful to know about. We love cheeses so I'll be looking for some cheese shops

Thanks for your information

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Jane,

The Captains table is our last night on the river. Will try to post. I will ask Uwe if he will be the next CM, if not then I'll try to get a name for you. He will follow us to the end in Barcelona.

Jazz,

I had my first soup tonight and it really didn't taste salty. With OA, it's just something I live with. The cement, cobblestone etc really does a number on the pups!. I am plugging along. They offer a walking tripod with seat so will take one along. Also offered, canes, walking sticks (tall ones) and walkers.

Tomorrow is our Beaujolais excursion starting at 9 am. Usual time frame for breakfast. We set sail at 2 pm for Vienne tomorrow. DH is getting a massage tomorrow afternoon. Cost for 60 min is 60€ really not bad. Ocean liner would be more than double. Will let you know how he likes it.

We are docked in Collonges with no other ship in sight!

< DH is getting a massage tomorrow afternoon. Cost for 60 min is 60€ really not bad. Ocean liner would be more than double. Will let you know how he likes it.>

Not only 2x as much, but the hard sell of products on ocean ships turned me off of them forever. No such nonsense on AMA.

Thank you Bama!

We did the Beaujolis excursion this morning. I decided to take the seat cane, as others did, and it was a help to be able to sit a bit. Started in the little village of Oingt. We were lucky enough that there was the annual crank organ festival yesterday and today. The village was alive with music! After that we proceeded to Domaine de a Fond-Vieille vineyard. Each bus went to a different one. We sampled a white, rose and red. They also provided bread, cheese and sausage to accompany the tasting.

Once back lunch was waiting for us. 3:00 started a silk painting and printing presentation which Lyon is famous for. Various ties, scarfs etc for purchase.

The "welcome back" cocktail reception is at 6:15 which we will attend as a prior AMA cruiser. Then 6:45 Uwe will talk about our stop in Vienne tomorrow.

Cousin just returned from her massage and booked another! She said it was wonderful.

Had laundry done on Friday afternoon and returned Saturday morning. That's service!

Life IS good!

I have enjoyed your reviews.

I will be on my first river cruise June 1 Provence & Spain on the AmaCello (private chartered cruise). I have the pre and post cruise hotels and transfers.

I am interested in your Seine dinner cruise - Name or website of booking company, how did you get there?

What was the cost for your Paris optional evening tour?

How was the food at the Paris hotel?

Can you give some example of the dinner menu?

What was served at the Chef Table?

I will be on my first river cruise June 1 Provence & Spain on the AmaCello (private chartered cruise). I have the pre and post cruise hotels and transfers.

I am interested in your Seine dinner cruise - Name or website of booking company, how did you get there? If you google the name that she listed in her review, it will bring up the website

She hasn't had the dinner yet. I believe she said she is having it on her last night.

I'm getting on this cruise on Friday. We are doing pre and post cruise on our own. The pre-cruise for us is in Marseille and we have hired guides to take us around Provence and Cassis.

Edited by Valley Girl of VA

She hasn't had the dinner yet. I believe she said she is having it on her last night.

I'm getting on this cruise on Friday. We are doing pre and post cruise on our own. The pre-cruise for us is in Marseille and we have hired guides to take us around Provence and Cassis.

She mentioned in post #6, they were having the Chef Table dinner on the first night on board and the Captain Dinner the last night, that is why I asked what they ate.

I have checked out the site she mentioned Bateaux Parisians and Viator. Bateaux Parisians you are charged in Euros and Viator (booking tours and activities) you are charged in your own country's currency.

I am interested in your Seine dinner cruise - Name or website of booking company, how did you get there?

Sorry for the delay! Too much going on!! I see you googled for the Seine dinner cruise. We bypassed Viator and booked direct. It's been so long ago but I want to say for Premier service we paid around 200€ pp. yep, expensive. Paris AMA options illuminations tour around 64€ pp food at the Pullman was good, but expensive like everything else. dinner buffet was 42€ pp. we opted to walk around the corner to a lovely cafe instead. The hotel will give you a list and directions of all the area food venues. Dinner menus on the ship are a variety of items. Believe me, you want for nothing. And if you don't see it, ask and they will accommodate you. I asked for low sugar desserts and the pastry chef had one for lunch and dinner. The head waiter, Alex, always hunted me out and said to ask the waitress to get him and within 2 minutes, dessert!

I will try to get the chef table menu. Too numerous to remember. Captains dinner last night.

FYI, when we were in Lyon we were rafted on starboard side so port side had a very nice view. Collonges docked port side with no one else around. Kinda an odd area. Vienne docked port side. We are on port an alittle uneasy as we were lined up with the sidewalk with people passing right by us. We are ruining towards Tournon now. Port side is very industrialized while starboard has a beautiful view of towns and vineyards. Ok if your on the sun deck. Not so pretty from our room.

Today we opted for Vienne city tour. Hike an 17 mile bike tour was out of the question for us! A lot of roman ruins. We book a choo choo train to the top of Mont Pipet. What a view! Train back to town center where we walked through town and back down to the ship. Disappointed most stores were closed on Mondays. Maps were given to us by the reception desk for both ports. I assume each port you'll get a map. In your welcome packet at the Paris hotel there were maps of Paris also. Had a guest Sommelier in the lounge this afternoon and this evening a Chaine des Rotisseurs dinner will be served. Then, Paolo Nassi for entertainment this evening. Will let you know how that goes.

While I have my excursion book out, in Barcelona we booked a Flamenco night at Tablao Cordobes, show and drink (50 Usd) pp through Viator only because I kept getting bumped out of their own website. We wanted a dinner and show but sold out. I booked 6 months ago!!

Docked port side here in Vienne overlooking town square. AMACello is rafting with us. Well, Paolo Nassi did not disappoint last night. He had everyone up on the dance floor! So crowded some in the aisles. We left around 11 pm. Today the hike tour starts at 9 am, chocolate and wine pairing at 9:15 and our steam train des Gorges tour at 9:45. No desserts at lunchtime but an ice cream party in the lounge. We then will set sail at 1:30 for Viviers. At 5 pm Uwe will speak on the post cruise to Barcelona. There we can book optional tours and our hotel to BCN transfers. 9 pm our Boulangerie Bakery limited edition tour starts and ghost walk at 9:15.

Weather has been perfect, no rain. Sunny and blue skies today!