AMADagio Rhone Paris-Barcelona Live

SCHappilyRetired

Docked port side here in Vienne overlooking town square. AMACello is rafting with us. Well, Paolo Nassi did not disappoint last night. He had everyone up on the dance floor!

Weather has been perfect, no rain. Sunny and blue skies today!

We had a blast with Paolo as well!

Who is Pablo? Wonder if he will be with us next week? Would love to hear your impression of the chocolate and wine pairing. Everything I had read said it was boring but would like your opinion since we are days away from it.

We are in Marseille and to us, it is beautiful along the port with the thousands of boats. As we walked last night along the waterfront, we saw the Marseille Eye all lit up. Flying in yesterday we could follow the Rhone up in the air, saw the cliffs by Cassis and the beautiful shoreline.

Jane

Who is Pablo? Wonder if he will be with us next week? Would love to hear your impression of the chocolate and wine pairing. Everything I had read said it was boring but would like your opinion since we are days away from it.

It was the worst excursion we have ever done with AMA. We left early as we could not sit there any longer.

Well, Paolo Nassi did not disappoint last night. He had everyone up on the dance floor! So crowded some in the aisles. We left around 11 pm.

We had a blast with Paolo as well!

Paolo Nassi! For Valley Girl of VA, here's more information.

That guy gets around...He played on one of our Avignon overnights when we were there in March 2015, with Uniworld.

I thought that the name seemed familiar when I read this thread yesterday, and I just confirmed with my daily program for the Rhone cruise that it was in fact him. He (according to my daily) is an Avignon-based musician. He plays the keyboard and sings; lots of fun popular songs from what I remember. He used a few props during his act with us, including some crazy wigs. His music is definitely conducive to dancing and other assorted carrying on. :D

Valley Girl of VA, I would assume based on the above that he'll be there. Sounds like playing gigs on river boats is his thing! You'll have to tell him about his fan club here on Cruise Critic.

Edited by jpalbny

We are in Marseille and to us, it is beautiful along the port with the thousands of boats. As we walked last night along the waterfront, we saw the Marseille Eye all lit up. Flying in yesterday we could follow the Rhone up in the air, saw the cliffs by Cassis and the beautiful shoreline.

Jane

Hi Jane,

We did not do the wine and chocolate tour but did speak to a few passengers who did. Their take was it was not so good, boring and a waste of time. We did the Steam train des gorge and thought it was fantastic. Great scenery going through the gorge. At top they turn the locomotive around to head back. Once back at the station you were given 20 minutes to go into the gift shop. Guide was very good explaining the history of the train.

Wifi has been slow here in Arles but will try to catch up on last couple of days.

We arrived in Viviers around 1:30. Post extension to Barcelona talk was at 5 pm and usual 6:45 talk on next day items. There were 2 excursions tonight. The Viviers ghost walk at 9:15 and our excursion at 9 pm Boulangerie Bakery limited edition tour. After a bit of a walk down the street we were at the bakery. Out of 20 or so people they asked for 5 volunteers, which we did. We were shown how to properly pound, stretch and roll a baguette. However, everyone was able to score and number their baguettes before going into the oven. While in the oven we were treated to a glass of wine and shown how to make nouget(?spl) baked breads were given to us to take back to the ship. Back down the roadway to the ship the guide managed to leave 6 of us behind due to our slow walking. She never looked back to see if everyone was with her. DH and I were in the middle of the two groups, fast walkers and slow. Once we arrived at the ship the guide was coming out of the ship and we mentioned to her she left us and 4 others still walking back. She looked around the corner and saw the 4 almost back and left. Boy was I jazzed about that!, we felt Uwe needed to know and told him the next day. He was not happy and thanked us for letting him know.

The others that went on the ghost walk had mixed reviews, eerie and fun. Unless you take one of these excursions, the town of Voviers has nothing to offer.

5 am we set sail for Grignan and at 8:30 we left for the Grignan & Truffle farm tour. We went to the LaRabassiere truffle farm, the other bus went to another truffle farm. We were greeted by Amy, the dog on the farm that finds the truffles. We were directed to a large white tent with chairs and Serge Aurel, the owner, proceeded to tell us how they farm truffles. After the talk all went out to the oak trees to watch Amy do her thing. I stayed behind to save my feet from excess walking as I had a busy afternoon set up. DH took a video of Amy digging for the truffles. I browsed around the lovely shop they had and purchased truffles, pate, tapenade. When done everyone was treated to a glass of wine and sampled all products. They did a lovely job and it was quite enjoyable. I must say, I did quite a bit of pocketbook damage in that shop!

After and hour's drive we met the ship in Avignon. WOW, 6 other ships there!, when our bus arrived our ship was just arriving so we had to wait for them to set up for us to get on board. We raffted next to a Viking ship and since their doors didn't meet our door elevation, we needed to go up to their sun deck, across our sun deck and back down to our lobby. By now it's almost 2 and I have a 2:30 departure for my Provençal cooking lesson. Quick bite and off I went. DH went to Pont du Gard. He enjoyed his tour and said only 6 went including him. The cooking class had 12 and we were bused over a bridge to laTonnelle Restaurant where I thought we would be in a hot kitchen with stainless steel surrounding us. Much to our surprise the chef had us set up outside in their patio with trees shading the whole area. Blue skies and a slight breeze. Long tables with 4 cooking stations, wood slat patio chairs. It was heaven! The Chef was wonderful, spoke English well and very approachable for questions. We all dug in and once everything was cooked, we enjoyed our food with a glass of wine around 5:30 at which time we were suppose to be back on board. We were not rushed and ended up getting back on board at 6:05. A full 3 1/2 hours of perfection! All I can say is if your going to do anything, do this tour. Sign up on line as many were disappointed it was full.

So, here it is 6:05 and there is a 7 pm disembarkment talk. Quick shower, change and just made it. This was an I portent talk on times, color luggage tags etc. After dinner around 9 pm the Captain gave us a treat and sailed to the Avignon bridge. We went up to the sun/star deck and watched the beautiful city all lit up as we were all singing that famous children's song about the bridge. The Gypsies of the Camargue entertained that night. We just were so tired from the long hectic day, we heard one song and hit the bed! The ship overnighted in Avignon.

Early this morning, around 5 am, we left for Arles. We are rafted again but I can make out to which ship. I am staying onboard today but DH went off to Les Baux and olive farm tour. I stayed back to rest the feet for the trip to Barcelona and pack. Captains dinner tonight. I was not able to find out who the Cruise Manager will be when the ship turns around tomorrow, sorry. We disembark for Barcelona tomorrow at 8:30 am. I will try to post tonight how DH excursions went and the Captains dinner if it's not too late.

I can't say enough how wonderful the crew has treated us. Food was exceptional. We have met some wonderful people and hope to stay in contact with them. We feel AMA was superior in everything they did for us!

Enjoyed hearing about your cooking class in Avignon. That sounds like a great excursion! Sounds like a wonderful cruise - thanks for taking us along. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

I hope that your feet are adequately rested for Barcelona. We were there over Christmas last year. You will be walking a lot! According to the step counter app on my phone, one of the days in Barcelona is still my personal best for steps in one day.

Sorry Jane, I wrote a lengthy report yesterday about the last two days and a detail of the captains dinner, hit submit and lost the wifi connection!!!! Never got it back and left the ship today arriving in Barcelona around 4:45. we received 3 of our 4 pieces of luggage. Uwe went into retrieval mode while we ate and went to a Flamenco show just returning now. Pleasant surprise, our last bag was in the room. Evidently, the hotel placed it in the wrong room and that person was out. All is good. Bus ride wasn't as bad as I thought and had am and afternoon comfort breaks and 1 1/1 hrs for lunch.

Be careful, just heard the news about Paris. Safe travels.

How long was the tour for the Bakery? Must have been a long day if the tours did not start until 9pm. Did you eat the bread back onboard?

The cooking tour sounds very interesting. What did you learn to cook? Did everyone in the group cook?

Did your luggage travel with you on the bus or separate by truck to Barcelona?

Did you travel on a highway or small roads to Barcelona? Any thing to see from the bus along the way?

Your rest stops, were they in rest areas off the road and was there anything there?

For your lunch break, did you stop in a village/town or was it at one of the rest stops?

Have enjoyed reading your detailed reviews. Would like to read the report that you lost, if you can remember what you wrote.

Edited by phabric

How long was the tour for the Bakery? Must have been a long day if the tours did not start until 9pm. Did you eat the bread back onboard?

The cooking tour sounds very interesting. What did you learn to cook? Did everyone in the group cook?

Did your luggage travel with you on the bus or separate by truck to Barcelona?

Did you travel on a highway or small roads to Barcelona? Any thing to see from the bus along the way?

Your rest stops, were they in rest areas off the road and was there anything there?

For your lunch break, did you stop in a village/town or was it at one of the rest stops?

Have enjoyed reading your detailed reviews. Would like to read the report that you lost, if you can remember what you wrote.

The bakery tour was about an hour long starting at 9 with a walk to the bakery. Learned how to bake a baguette and nouget. They asked for 5 volunteers so not everyone got their hands full of flour.

Our cooking class for the afternoon...mostly stuffed vegetables with either pork or chicken. Prepped the vegtables in a fancy manner. Yes, everyone had their own prep station but shared a pot. I can't tell you how much I loved this limited excursion, but then again, I'm a foodie.

Our luggage traveled with us on the same bus. We had comfort stops at the Autogrill which has food and gifts. Our lunch was in a town and we had an enjoyable 1 1/2 hours. We traveled on a highway to Barcelona. Some nice scenery but industrial once getting close to Barcelona.

I will post my missed post once home next week. All my detailed ino is packed away.

I believe we cruised With you to the British Isles?? I remember making Van arrangements to the Tattoo with you?

Went to the Flamenco show last night. Uwe said we picked a good one. Small venue and intimate atomsphere vs the larger stages. We enjoyed it quite a bit. Today we did a morning tour of the city. We first walked into the gothic area not far from here. Walked about 1/2 hour then met the bus for the remainder of the tour. 9:30 to 1:30. Highlight was La Sangrada Familia. Words can't describe what Gaudi started. It will be done in 2026 and is funded only by entrance fees. Massive crowds there and it's off season. Many restaurants in the area. Some stayed there and had tickets to go in taking a taxi back while the rest of us picked up the bus to be returned to the hotel. LeMeredian is right on The Ramblas. We were amazed on how many people were strolling around. We went to lunch right across the street from the hotel entrance as we were tired from the late night last night. Went down to the market and found an array of food that would tickle any pallet. Did some souvenir shopping then back for a rest.

Tomorrow we are taking AMA's optional tour to Montserrat Abby. From what everyone tells us, it's not to be missed. We booked a massage (DH) and facial (me) for late tomorrow afternoon at the hotel spa. It's on the 6 th floor with lounges and whirlpool outside that you can also enjoy. Reasonable pricing for services.

I was on the Caribbean Princess August 16, 2013, British Isle cruise, great cruise.

Which Flamencoo show did you go to, I think you booked through Viator. DId you take a taxi to see the show?

I have the post cruise Baracelona hotel booked. I was thinking of getting tickets for Casa Batllo and La Sagranda Famile (have been told must see these). You mentioned some stayed there with their own purchased tickets, did these people miss out seeing other sites on the way back to the hotel while staying? I am wondering if we should do this on our own (on the day we have free time) or wait until the provided 1/2 day city tour and take a taxi back to the hotel?

Did you get out of the bus to see the sites or just drive by?

I am on a private chartered cruise June 1, 2017 doing the same cruise on the AMACello. The agent has not sent any information about this cruise yet. I have read the information on AMA site but can not get into where optional paid and limited tours are offered.

Would like some help figuring out what to do in Paris and Barcelona in the free time.

We arrive in Paris and Barcelona with free time the rest of that day, next day, provided 1/2 city tour so have 1/2 day that day free, next day is a full free day ( correct)?

Are the optional paid tours offered on both the 1/2 free day and the next day or just on one day.

Would like some help figuring out what to do in Paris and Barcelona in the free time.

For Paris, if you are a museum person, get a museum pass.

We have been to Paris a number of times and still enjoy the 90 minute boat ride that departs from Pont Neuf.

We are big fans of public markets and will research where these are taking place in any city we visit.

Last trip to Paris, we did a day trip to Reims and really enjoyed it. Booked a champagne tasting at Pommery and totally enjoyed that.

I was on the Caribbean Princess August 16, 2013, British Isle cruise, great cruise.

Which Flamencoo show did you go to, I think you booked through Viator. DId you take a taxi to see the show?

I have the post cruise Baracelona hotel booked. I was thinking of getting tickets for Casa Batllo and La Sagranda Famile (have been told must see these). You mentioned some stayed there with their own purchased tickets, did these people miss out seeing other sites on the way back to the hotel while staying? I am wondering if we should do this on our own (on the day we have free time) or wait until the provided 1/2 day city tour and take a taxi back to the hotel?

Did you get out of the bus to see the sites or just drive by?

I am on a private chartered cruise June 1, 2017 doing the same cruise on the AMACello. The agent has not sent any information about this cruise yet. I have read the information on AMA site but can not get into where optional paid and limited tours are offered.

We arrive in Paris and Barcelona with free time the rest of that day, next day, provided 1/2 city tour so have 1/2 day that day free, next day is a full free day ( correct)?

Are the optional paid tours offered on both the 1/2 free day and the next day or just on one day.

Tablao Flamenco Cordobes through Viator, show and drink (sweet sweet sangria). You need to book far in advance ad pops it is a small venue. They also offer dinner shows. We walked from our hotel on 100 Ramblas. Show is at 35 Ramblas, not a far walk.

La Sangrada. A couple went online on arrival at the hotel and purchased 2 pm tickets. Our bus dropped everyone off for a walking tour at the church then back on bus to hotel. Several people stayed. No, they did not miss any attractions as we drove straight back to hotel. I would do the 1/2 day city tour and stay for your timed tour into the church. It's about 15€ back to our hotel on the Ramblas. A must see!

The city tour in Barcelona...we went to the top of a hill where the Olympics were held and got out for a photo op. You could see all of Barcelona! Also, out for the church. Otherwise, stayed on bus.

Our full free day in Paris we did our own thing with Wine Day Tours. You can google them. JB was fantastic! Pricey for the day. Seine dinner River cruise the night we arrived in Paris. 1/2 day tours were 9:30 to 1:30 usually. Tomorrow for Monserrat we leave at 7:55 to 1:30. Montmartre in Paris was part of the illuminations tour (optional). Some did the Moulin Rouge.

You need your booking # and last name to get into th "already booked" section on AMA waterway site for the limited edition tours. Not sure how far out you can book. I called AMA direct a couple times and they were very helpful.

Monserrat optional tour was taken this morning. We left by bus at 7:55 am for about an hour then boarded the train to take us to the church. From there, if you want, you can take the funicular to the very top. Straight up and Nose bleed area! The views going up were breath taking! When you board the train, seat yourself on the left side as you climb for the best views. Once there, we were given a 1/2 tour around and up to the church. Steep incline and steps! It was good we left early to beat the crowds. Remember, this is a HUGH site for many to visit, including the many cruise ships that may be docked. The line at 9:30 am was already outside to see the Black Madonna. We opted to go in the church which was magnificent. Mass is at 11 and they close the doors to tourists. There is a restaurant, self service and cafeteria along with some shops. We met our bus to take us around and down the mountain at 11:45 am by the restaurant. For views going down, sit on the right side. It was pretty hairy and had DH by the window both ways.

We ate lunch across the street from the hotel and will have dinner at the hotel restaurant. Today is Caladonia day and we could see the festivities already starting around 1:30 when we arrived back from our excursion. People everywhere and the Ramblas was packed. It will get worst, they say, around 5 o'clock and into the night so we are staying put tonight.

Sad to see the vacation end but we are ready to go home tomorrow and get back into our routines. This has been a fabulous trip and AMA was superior in every way. Uwe was the perfect Cruise Manager. He will head home for 9 days then start his work again on the Danube. We hope to travel AMA again and will keep a look out for him.

I hope some of you have enjoyed reading this review. Happy sailing!!

Thank you for spending the time give us a review.

I have a question regarding dinner. Is it open seating where you can arrive between a certain time or do you need to arrive all at once for service?

If your question is in reference to AMA, they ask all passengers to go to dinner at the same time. It is open in terms of seating but not so that you can arrive at any time during certain hours.

The only line that offered us this open dining was Uniworld and I wish more lines would do the same, as it was wonderful to have this flexibility.

Edited by caviargal

Thank you for spending the time give us a review.

I have a question regarding dinner. Is it open seating where you can arrive between a certain time or do you need to arrive all at once for service?

Dinner was usually at 7 pm, one seating and open. I did notice this time the "masses" did not wait and Rush in but then again only 109 on the ship. After a couple nights everyone settled into their favorite table and waiter section.

• 5 weeks later...
At 6 pm we joined Uwe and the other passengers for a welcome glass of wine and overview of our days in Paris. That lasted about 1/2 hour then we were off. Our first night we booked a Seine dinner cruise on our own with Bateaux Parisians. We upgraded to their highest class, Premier and were not disappointed. Location is in the very front of the ship surrounded by glass ceiling to floor. Service and food were exceptional along with live entertainment. Expensive but well worth it to us. This was a relaxing way to start our vacation. We boarded around 8 pm for an 8:30 set sail cruise arriving back at the base of the Eiffel Tower at 11 to the Tower "sparkling". Up a large set of cement stairs the taxi stand awaited.

Thanks for all the information you have given through your reviews.

We are thinking on taking the 8:30 Dinner river cruise on our arrival night. You mentioned you stayed for the welcome drink and took a taxi.

Any problems getting a taxi to and from? Roughly the cost?

Was the hotel far from dinner River cruise entrance?

You had the very front section, do you think the bay (side windows) would have good views? About €40 difference /pp or better to pay more for the front?

Thanks for all the information you have given through your reviews.

We are thinking on taking the 8:30 Dinner river cruise on our arrival night. You mentioned you stayed for the welcome drink and took a taxi.

Any problems getting a taxi to and from? Roughly the cost?

Was the hotel far from dinner River cruise entrance?

You had the very front section, do you think the bay (side windows) would have good views? About €40 difference /pp or better to pay more for the front?

We stayed for the welcome drink for AMA and listed to our agenda overview and met a lot of people that were on our cruise. By the time we got on board we made some nice friends. You have plenty of time as it was only about a 1/2 talk. Wine was served.

Taxi stand is right in front of the Pullman Hotel. If I remember it was about 20€? Round up to next € for taxi driver tip per Rick Steves advise. Rivercruise entrance is at the base of the Eiffel Tower maybe 15 minute drive. Taxi can drop you right in front off he ship. Be sure to look on your confirmation, and bring it, for what dock # you set sail from. We left early and browsed around that area to be sure we knew where we were going.

We booked the front as I knew we would not be back. I would think the sides would be ok as they do a round trip around. Up front, we were able to view both sides as we cruised. We docked back around 11 pm just in time to see the Eiffel Tower "twinkle" above us. If you that AMA's illumination tour, which I recommend, you will see it at 11 pm then also.

After the cruise exit right and you need to walk up a fairly large set of cement stairs to be at the Eiffel Tower level. From the top, look left and across the street was the taxi stand. I had DH run over as there was only one taxi standing there while I caught up. I have a bit of a mobility issue. I am sure more would come as it is a "stand".

Hope this helps!