How to avoid roaming charges while texting

Fred C

A friend told me in order to avoid roaming charges while at sea or in port, to turn the phone to airplane mode and just pay for the wi fi on the ship. Is this true? I have "What's App" on my cell. Can I use that to text? Thanks

The only way to avoid roaming charges is to leave your phone in airplane mode.

I'm not sure about that app. I use TMobile and get data/texting in foreign countries at no additional charge. I leave my phone in airplane mode on the boat and when in port turn my service back on.

You should be able to use wifi to communicate though regardless of service.

Edited by wowprincess

A friend told me in order to avoid roaming charges while at sea or in port, to turn the phone to airplane mode and just pay for the wi fi on the ship. Is this true? I have "What's App" on my cell. Can I use that to text? Thanks

That is true. With the phone in airplane mode you do not get cellular service and therefore no roaming charges. Yes, whatsapp can be used to text over wifi.

No need to put the phone in airplane mode. You can simply turn off the 'data when roaming' which will allow you to still receive text messages but you will be charged if you send a text message or use the phone. This way people can text you in case of an emergency. On airplane mode you're not accessible.

Once on a wifi plan there are many apps which allow text messages and free calling. If you use 'what's app' then the people you're interfacing with also need the app.

Depends on your carrier and your phone.

I have Verizon with a S7 and I put my phone into airplane mode and turn on my wifi.

I can send and receive text messages to and from anybody with no cost to me.

Also if you have a wifi capable phone you can send and receive phone calls for no charge as you will be using your wifi not the cell service.

Depends on your carrier and your phone.

I have Verizon with a S7 and I put my phone into airplane mode and turn on my wifi.

I can send and receive text messages to and from anybody with no cost to me.

Also if you have a wifi capable phone you can send and receive phone calls for no charge as you will be using your wifi not the cell service.

You mean if you have a wifi calling capable phone. Just about every phone is wifi capable, not all have wifi calling.

I would recommend turning the phone off as soon as you board your cruise and put the phone in your suitcase for the duration. You will not have any additional charges from

your phone service. I do this every cruise and I always have a relaxing and wonderful holiday. Bon Voyage!

I would recommend turning the phone off as soon as you board your cruise and put the phone in your suitcase for the duration. You will not have any additional charges from

your phone service. I do this every cruise and I always have a relaxing and wonderful holiday. Bon Voyage!

SOOOO, someone can't also have a relaxing and fun vacation unless they do the same as you?

Don't text.

Depends on make of phone most phones you can just turn off roaming. You can still then receive calls if you wish and get wifi.

I like that idea very much. I know my DW will continue to monitor her messages so in the event of an emergency, family can still reach her.

No need to put the phone in airplane mode. You can simply turn off the 'data when roaming' which will allow you to still receive text messages but you will be charged if you send a text message or use the phone. This way people can text you in case of an emergency. On airplane mode you're not accessible.

Once on a wifi plan there are many apps which allow text messages and free calling. If you use 'what's app' then the people you're interfacing with also need the app.

While this is true and would have been my advice as well, you Need to put a Disclaimer on this.

If you Switch of data roaming, you won´t be charged any roaming charges for data! However you can still receive calls, make calls, receive text and send text. This can include roaming charges!!! When on the ship or in a foreign Country it depends on your Provider and contract how much they Charge for this international Service and this is NOT covered in data roaming.

So even with turned of data roaming you can be charged for other stuff.

It works for me as I don´t make / receive calls and only stay in contact via email. I don´t text and nobody sends me text, but I realize it´s different for most others.

Voom surf package on ship. Phone on Airplane Mode, Phone Wifi On. Whatsapp worked great!. Just used it last week with dd who was on Enchantment in Bahamas and 2 months ago with other DD who was on harmony in Europe. Able to send/receive texts and calls, and post pics to FB/Insta. No complaints....and even better no charges on the cell phone bill!! :D

I do that too, except I put it in the safe, it's safer.

Then I use my iPad and wifi for all my email, texting and FaceTime calls.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Excellent idea, Tom. I've done it for over 10 cruises. Rather sad that so many people don't think their life is complete without a phone in their hand.

Excellent idea, Tom. I've done it for over 10 cruises. Rather sad that so many people don't think their life is complete without a phone in their hand.

I use my phone as my camera so I'll always have my phone in my hand. Of course, it'll be in airplane mode on the ship but with an elderly parent-in-law (89), we need to be able to check messages. And nobody should fault us for that.

I´m not someone glued to their phone 24/7, as a matter of fact I rarely even use my cellphone for phone calls, it´s more like something to have in case of an emergency. I dont have a FB account. I don´t have Twitter, WhatsApp or any of those social media Things of These days.

If I want to talk to someone I do so from the privacy of my home and I use email for communication as well.

Having all that said, I was on a cruise recently and a Close relative had an accident needing surgery and hospitalization two days Prior to my departure.

I was rather torn about going or not. We finally decided I went ahead and he would get the best care in Hospital until I returned home. It gave me a great Piece of mind to call him via skype every day. My vacation was much more Relaxing talking to him on a daily Basis, otherwise I would have kept worrying all the time.

I fully understand those who want to get away from it all and it´s a reason for me to cruise as well, but I do like being able to Keep in touch. Afterall it´s my choice who will be able to reach out to me and when. The off Switch is in my Hands and I don´t have to respond, but I can.