Skagway & Ketchikan - narrowing it down

notentirelynormal

Okay, I am getting closer with my decisions. Thanks so much to everyone that has helped so far. I am getting it closer. So now, after much going back and forth this is where I am at.

I'm not made of money BUT I'm not holding back on this trip either. Here is what I am down to. Innocent grandkids haven given their opinion.

We currently have helicopter landing with dog sledding confirmed. Same with whale watching. Set up and ready to go. Bear sightings are necessary. So what can we also do. (Parents are wide open).

I am open to any and every idea. Now I would love to see the lumberjack show - that isn't what I am setting my day up for. We need bear feeding, fish jumping, bear sighting, I don't care, what can you offer?

Okay, I am getting closer with my decisions. Thanks so much to everyone that has helped so far. I am getting it closer. So now, after much going back and forth this is where I am at.

I'm not made of money BUT I'm not holding back on this trip either. Here is what I am down to. Innocent grandkids haven given their opinion.

We currently have helicopter landing with dog sledding confirmed. Same with whale watching. Set up and ready to go. Bear sightings are necessary. So what can we also do. (Parents are wide open).

I am open to any and every idea. Now I would love to see the lumberjack show - that isn't what I am setting my day up for. We need bear feeding, fish jumping, bear sighting, I don't care, what can you offer?

WHEN is this cruise?? Can't give any bear information without it.

WHEN is this cruise?? Can't give any bear information without it.

I would suggest Traitor's Cove for bear watching, Consistently excellent sighting stats. Second choice would be Neets Bay.

Be certain to have back up plans for the glacier dog sledding. This is the most canceled Alaska tour. Know what else is your second choice and have the phone contacts known, when notified of the cancellation- know before then,- IF available- if you want to take a glacier landing flight.

I would suggest Traitor's Cove for bear watching, Consistently excellent sighting stats. Second choice would be Neets Bay.

Be certain to have back up plans for the glacier dog sledding. This is the most canceled Alaska tour. Know what else is your second choice and have the phone contacts known, when notified of the cancellation- know before then,- IF available- if you want to take a glacier landing flight.

What kind of back up plans do you suggest? There is no sarcasm in this question. I really want to know what I can do that will be similar. I am SO looking forward to his particular excursion that I will be totally bummed out if we can't do it. Suggestions please.

I'm checking out the bear thing. Not exactly cheap. It seems like the two are close in price. Do you have a preference. Score - group and military discount. Every dollar counts, right! It seems like the dog sledding in the mud/dirt would be such a let down.

BudgetQueen, I've often seen you mention sighting stats for bear watching tours. Where do you get these stats? Is there a place where the various tour companies report what they've seen on each outing?

BudgetQueen, I've often seen you mention sighting stats for bear watching tours. Where do you get these stats? Is there a place where the various tour companies report what they've seen on each outing?

Years of experience and ties with informative vendors. You can call and ask them yourself. The vendor I use, had 100% success with Anan and Traitors last year. Pro Mech is Neet's vendor. Call any of them- want more- call more. :)

What kind of back up plans do you suggest? There is no sarcasm in this question. I really want to know what I can do that will be similar. I am SO looking forward to his particular excursion that I will be totally bummed out if we can't do it. Suggestions please.

I'm checking out the bear thing. Not exactly cheap. It seems like the two are close in price. Do you have a preference. Score - group and military discount. Every dollar counts, right! It seems like the dog sledding in the mud/dirt would be such a let down.

IF a "must do", then I suggest you book it at your first available port- then have the phone numbers to get on the phone- if canceled, for availability in the next port. Be willing to split up. you are very unlikely to get more than 2 open spaces and more likely, it's just one. You need to take a look at what else is of interest to you in that port. Plenty of options. But have it chosen ahead of time and move quickly to arrange it, so not to waste time. Have all the contacts/phone numbers available.

Years of experience and ties with informative vendors. You can call and ask them yourself. The vendor I use, had 100% success with Anan and Traitors last year. Pro Mech is Neet's vendor. Call any of them- want more- call more. :)

Could you please give me the websites for the two or three top ones you recommend? The only one that keeps coming up is Island Wings. Also, is there any other way to get there except by plane?

IF a "must do", then I suggest you book it at your first available port- then have the phone numbers to get on the phone- if canceled, for availability in the next port. Be willing to split up. you are very unlikely to get more than 2 open spaces and more likely, it's just one. You need to take a look at what else is of interest to you in that port. Plenty of options. But have it chosen ahead of time and move quickly to arrange it, so not to waste time. Have all the contacts/phone numbers available.

Unfortunately it is kind of hard to split up too much. There is not a chance in h*ll that I am letting my minor grandchildren go on planes with complete strangers. The oldest will be 12 and the youngest will be 6. The best we could do would be to split up into two groups.