Anyone on the Ecstasy with Man Overboard Updates?

Fydlstyx

Yeah, okay, "a big wave came up and knocked me overboard". No one else felt this "big wave", no one felt the ship rolling from this wave? And a quick search of the weather in Cozumel 1/9/2015 (it supposedly happened 8 miles from port) shows wind speeds of 5-10mph, and a barometer of 30.1. In other words, fair weather. Where did this rogue wave come from?

If there was ever a dedicated TV channel for the cruise industry, that lawyer would certainly be the guy with the annoying commercials in every show!!! :D

We just got home from the Ecstasy today. It was rumored, but not confirmed, that she was arguing with a family member before jumping.

Odd, there were 2 other cases of man overboard aboard Royal ships. In one case, it was reported that the person was arguing with his wife. The other case, it was reported that the man was arguing with his mother.

Is jumping off ships the new way of committing suicide?

Recently there was, I think, a crew member who went overboard. She was recovered 38 hour later- still alive with no bad effects! I think another ship picked her up out of the water.

I believe you are referring to the Chinese woman passenger who went overboard and supposedly survived that long in the water. It was reported by the China news services, but with no corroboration. I have my doubts, given the photos of the "survivor".

I believe you are referring to the Chinese woman passenger who went overboard and supposedly survived that long in the water. It was reported by the China news services, but with no corroboration. I have my doubts, given the photos of the "survivor".

I read about that. What a BS story that was.

I guess I was asking if they are ever actually able to recover the bodies, but your answer was good to know as well!

A total recovery rate (living and deceased) would be only 1-2% higher than the survival rate. Once hypothermia sets in, and you stop trying to stay afloat, the body will sink quickly.

Ummm, yes, I know they are all sad. Was I not allowed to say what the poster wrote was sad? :confused::confused::confused:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what you wrote, "Now that was sad" implies that the rest are not.

Edited by VASOXFANN

I wonder if this happens a lot more than we hear about. The father of a close friend went on a cruise by himself, had a great time all week - people remarked how friendly he was at dinner etc. The last night, he was seen on camera going into his room. When he never checked out of his room, they went in and it was locked from the inside but empty. They never found his body of course. It certainly wasn't in any papers or on any web boards.

They are reported , but the media may fail to announce it.

I feel very sorry for the family and friends.... but have seen this many times people doing stupid things like the guy below on my last cruise. The bar server said something to him but he didn't move and i don't know why but security was never called.

We had a similiar experience aboard the Valor out of San Juan in 2015. They have thier internet cafe kind of behind/inside Winstons. We had gone in to use the computer and before we came out, there was a private event starting in Winstons . As a result we had to go out through a different door that I don't think is normally in use. It takes you directly out to the port deck. I think we walked down the outside stairs right over there and then headed fwd. This would be below the lifeboats. As soon as we could see down the length of the deck, we saw two young girls sitting upon the railing. One hopped off and took a picture of the other and just as we were running up to them they were switching places for another photo. They must have been 13-15 years old. Adding insult to injury they were doing this in a part of the ship which rarely has any kind of people traffic. Had one of them fallen over, the other would have surely panicked and valuable minutes would have gone by before help would be activated, especially since the only people who would have seen her fall would be someone looking out of thier aft OV window. We were shocked and freaked out and acted like parents pretty much :o One problem we had was that the girls only spoke italian. You had better believe we communicated how foolish it was to be sitting on the rail in thier bikinis and posing for pictures.

On the original post, my prayers go up for the family of this young woman. I can't even imagine the pain they must be feeling today :(

Some witnesses said she "fell", which could imply she was trying to climb the railing and sit on top of it. Other witnesses say she jumped. Carnival will of course say she jumped unless there is absolute video proof she was acting irresponsibly and "fell". In which case Carnival will probably bury the video.

Some witnesses said she "fell", which could imply she was trying to climb the railing and sit on top of it. Other witnesses say she jumped. Carnival will of course say she jumped unless there is absolute video proof she was acting irresponsibly and "fell". In which case Carnival will probably bury the video.

Huh? Carnival will be liable in neither case. Sitting on the railing is a negligent act on the part of the passenger, and Carnival is not liable for these, per the ticket contract. So Carnival will not "bury" the video. Because this is a US citizen, the FBI will be involved, and they would take a dim view of a "missing" video.

Jumped on purpose, fell accidentally, pushed by another, drunk, sober, sane or insane...does it really matter? This is terrible and sad and I feel compassion and empathy for the woman and her family. I stood and gazed out at that same ocean a few weeks ago from our balcony on the Valor and thought to myself how beautiful and overwhelming the ocean is and how small I am in comparison. I can't imagine the pain that must have been going through her head as she contemplated similar thoughts and then made such a tragic choice. How bad must one's perspective be, if going overboard is a better idea than just stepping back from the rail and hoping for a better day tomorrow....:(

Actually, how it happened does matter. That doesn't change the terrible outcome or the fear or desperation the women felt at the time, but how it happened does matter. Unfortunately, this is how changes in design and safety come about. The situation is analyzed and a determination is made as to how this fall or jump could have been prevented. In this case, a higher railing, changes in the barrier so it can't be used as a ladder to climb up and sit on the railing, etc.

Actually, how it happened does matter. That doesn't change the terrible outcome or the fear or desperation the women felt at the time, but how it happened does matter. Unfortunately, this is how changes in design and safety come about. The situation is analyzed and a determination is made as to how this fall or jump could have been prevented. In this case, a higher railing, changes in the barrier so it can't be used as a ladder to climb up and sit on the railing, etc.

When the couple jumped from their Paradise suite balcony in 2009 it was discovered that they had the DND sign out since the second day. No one saw them from that day, nor was their card used. Now it's required for the room steward to see you or to see movement on your card. If not, they will check on you. Only one was found.

Very sad all around.

When the couple jumped from their Paradise suite balcony in 2009 it was discovered that they had the DND sign out since the second day. No one saw them from that day, nor was their card used. Now it's required for the room steward to see you or to see movement on your card. If not, they will check on you. Only one was found.

Very sad all around.

That was my point exactly. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to compel changes to policy or product design to make things safer or as safe as possible for consumers.

Huh? Carnival will be liable in neither case. Sitting on the railing is a negligent act on the part of the passenger, and Carnival is not liable for these, per the ticket contract. So Carnival will not "bury" the video. Because this is a US citizen, the FBI will be involved, and they would take a dim view of a "missing" video.

I assume you meant to type Carnival will NOT be liable in either case. You may be right, I will apologetically retract my statement. It is not however documented that public carriers such as cruise lines chartered outside the U.S. may stall on providing evidence.

Well, she certainly didn't "RISE" over board. No matter the cause, trip, push, jump - she definitely "FELL" from the ship into the sea - it's how gravity works.

Of course, someone at altitude is going to "fall" when not supported - you are right: that's how gravity works.

It must be that she was pushed, or tossed, overboard; intentionally jumped; or accidentally fell while doing something stupid or irresponsible. There seems no other likely event triggering her "falling".

While sympathy must be extended to her and her family - everyone one the ship also suffered - to a lesser extent of course - but they also were negatively impacted -- while being completely innocent, unlike the woman (if her fall was intentional or the result of irresponsible behavior) or the perpetrator if it was the result of some assault.

EVERYONE suffered - to a greater or lesser degree.

Thank you. I knew her family more than her. I haven't seen her since she was a small child :(

I did find out here, while posting on another thread and asking that people please have some compassion and not speculate that this was a suicide. There are several other factors that could cause someone to "jump" rather than intentionally committing suicide.

To all posting on this board - A woman is lost and probably dead! Please have a little respect for Rina and the Patel family and stop all of this baseless speculation. I'm sure you wouldn't want the loss of your family member debated about on the internet in such a callous manner. :mad:

Unmm, what other factors would be involved with someone intentional jumping overboard on a cruise other than suicide?

Right or wrong, she choose to end her life this way. I feel for her and the pain she must have been going through and for her family who are left behind to deal with this.

That said, this is a public forum where everything gets discussed and I think it's human nature to be curious about this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums