Westerdam Alaska recently?

Moriah

On board and enjoying every minute. Weather chilly but has been mostly clear since Seattle. Delightful in every way. Okay one disappointment... Adagio in Explorers lounge which I usually love... Both nights just a solo pianist - not a good one - and she plays show tunes! Not sure what's up with that! On Location says piano and violin playing classical... But...

Some nice surprises: smoothie bar at atrium bar in the mornings on sea days. Coffee machine in Neptune Suite makes great coffee. No need to wait until the lounge opens. Good for morning people like me! Dinner at PG embarkation night. Excellent. I had lamb chops. Going back Thursday. So right now as I type this on my thermal couch in the spa as we approach Juneau I can tell you that the Westerdam Life is Good !!!

Greetings to you! Thanks SO much for posting!!!! Good to hear that everything is going well. Like the idea of the Smoothie Bar - thanks for the heads up about it!

Enjoy your cruise!

Great to hear you are enjoying our favorite HAL ship- wonderful ship and crew!

Getting more and more excited hearing about your cruise!! Hoping we have a great PG crew in October- we spend a lot of time in there and it makes a huge difference.

Watching you dock in Juneau as I type and wishing I was there!!!!!!

Carnevale, you made a good point about band response. The problem might be that the Ocean Bar is in two areas separated by the Atrium. One side is the actual bar and tables and chairs, on other side is band and dance area with tables and chairs. On the Veendam it was all together, could hear music everywhere and most people could see the dancers. People we observed on dance side seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Hello from rainy Sitka. Yesterday was Glacier Bay - my favorite place on Earth, and it was awesome! We spent a loooong time (over 2 hours) at John Hopkins Glacier. Every other cruise I've taken to GB our stationary glacier viewing was mostly in front of Margery (sp?), but this time we went to John Hopkins, came in very close - and stayed and the Captain did the customary 360 degree turn of the ship. Perfect weather, no wind, a few cotton clouds, and absolutely awesome views of that glacier and many, many more. Can't say enough about how amazing it was, and I've been to GB 15 times or so... We did also go to Margery (again, sorry if I'm misspelling) and another 360 but we spent less time. Also awesome.

In other news, the note I left at the front desk concerning Adagio was answered promptly! Since we are in a Neptune Suite, the response came to to Sandy and Kim, or lovely Concierges in the Neptune Lounge. Sandy made a point of calling me over and telling me that the entertainment manager had responded saying that while Adagio is usually a duo (yes, I know), the violinist (don't know the name) had to be "medically disembarked" in Seattle! So that left the pianist to hold down the Adagio fort...

I really appreciated the almost immediate response and I wish the violinist a complete and quick recovery, however, this doesn't really address the facts that a) the piano player (I actually have forgotten her name) is simply not good at all! or b) she was playing show tunes rather than classical music. Okay so enough on that, and unfortunately no more Explorers' Lounge for me this cruise.

Last night we went for the second time to see the Westerdam Entertainers. This was the "All about Love" show, and we really enjoyed it. These singers and dancers work very hard, the choreography was surprisingly sophisticated (!!) and all in all it was a very entertaining show. There was even a short bit of aerial acrobatics!

Westerdam looks fantastic. I admit I was a little nervous - she's getting on 11 years old now - but she looks brand new. I like the new decor - darker colors, more elegant and less ostentatious (IMO). Everything is in wonderful working order, nothing worn or peeling anywhere - just gorgeous!! Kudos to the hard working Westerdam crew in all areas.

We've only had dinner in the Pinnacle once so far, and someone wanted to know about servers and I regret to say I didn't pay attention to their names - they were not the ones I've been familiar with from past cruises - the Maitre d is adorable (also new to me) and our server was excellent. We will be there again Friday and I'll be writing down names so we can leave tips and will report back again.

Last night we ate in the MDR (first and probably only time this cruise) and the food was surprisingly good and the service surprisingly quick! Really enjoyed the salmon with Alaskan Amber glaze. Yum. We had a table for 2 near the staircase and the atmosphere was great and we didn't feel like sardines as sometimes happens in the MDR.

Let's see, what else can I tell you in this "live" report. Oh yes, I should mention that the reason I can amble on in this email is that Westerdam has "per cruise" wifi packages. No constantly logging in and out and worrying I'm using up my minutes! For a reasonable (IMO) price you can have internet for the entire cruise, no worries. In our case 200 minutes was included as a gift form our TA, and we were able to trade that for an internet package for the duration of the cruise. YAY.

Editing to add: The Band in the Ocean bar is great - was sorry they were not playing yesterday before/after dinner because they were part of the show in the Vista Lounge so Ocean bar was "dark" yesterday... :( No Adagio and no Band ... a little sad)

Edited by Moriah

Hello from rainy Sitka. Yesterday was Glacier Bay - my favorite place on Earth, and it was awesome! We spent a loooong time (over 2 hours) at John Hopkins Glacier. Every other cruise I've taken to GB our stationary glacier viewing was mostly in front of Margery (sp?), but this time we went to John Hopkins, came in very close - and stayed and the Captain did the customary 360 degree turn of the ship. Perfect weather, no wind, a few cotton clouds, and absolutely awesome views of that glacier and many, many more. Can't say enough about how amazing it was, and I've been to GB 15 times or so... We did also go to Margery (again, sorry if I'm misspelling) and another 360 but we spent less time. Also awesome.

In other news, the note I left at the front desk concerning Adagio was answered promptly! Since we are in a Neptune Suite, the response came to to Sandy and Kim, or lovely Concierges in the Neptune Lounge. Sandy made a point of calling me over and telling me that the entertainment manager had responded saying that while Adagio is usually a duo (yes, I know), the violinist (don't know the name) had to be "medically disembarked" in Seattle! So that left the pianist to hold down the Adagio fort...

I really appreciated the almost immediate response and I wish the violinist a complete and quick recovery, however, this doesn't really address the facts that a) the piano player (I actually have forgotten her name) is simply not good at all! or b) she was playing show tunes rather than classical music. Okay so enough on that, and unfortunately no more Explorers' Lounge for me this cruise.

Last night we went for the second time to see the Westerdam Entertainers. This was the "All about Love" show, and we really enjoyed it. These singers and dancers work very hard, the choreography was surprisingly sophisticated (!!) and all in all it was a very entertaining show. There was even a short bit of aerial acrobatics!

Westerdam looks fantastic. I admit I was a little nervous - she's getting on 11 years old now - but she looks brand new. I like the new decor - darker colors, more elegant and less ostentatious (IMO). Everything is in wonderful working order, nothing worn or peeling anywhere - just gorgeous!! Kudos to the hard working Westerdam crew in all areas.

We've only had dinner in the Pinnacle once so far, and someone wanted to know about servers and I regret to say I didn't pay attention to their names - they were not the ones I've been familiar with from past cruises - the Maitre d is adorable (also new to me) and our server was excellent. We will be there again Friday and I'll be writing down names so we can leave tips and will report back again.

Last night we ate in the MDR (first and probably only time this cruise) and the food was surprisingly good and the service surprisingly quick! Really enjoyed the salmon with Alaskan Amber glaze. Yum. We had a table for 2 near the staircase and the atmosphere was great and we didn't feel like sardines as sometimes happens in the MDR.

Let's see, what else can I tell you in this "live" report. Oh yes, I should mention that the reason I can amble on in this email is that Westerdam has "per cruise" wifi packages. No constantly logging in and out and worrying I'm using up my minutes! For a reasonable (IMO) price you can have internet for the entire cruise, no worries. In our case 200 minutes was included as a gift form our TA, and we were able to trade that for an internet package for the duration of the cruise. YAY.

Editing to add: The Band in the Ocean bar is great - was sorry they were not playing yesterday before/after dinner because they were part of the show in the Vista Lounge so Ocean bar was "dark" yesterday... :( No Adagio and no Band ... a little sad)

Thanks for the post! Great reading. Can you find out the name of the "adorable" Pinnacle maitre d', please?

Have always loved Johns Hopkins. That is a long time to spend there, so you were very fortunate!

Enjoy !

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thanks for the great review!! We keep hoping our favorite server Clifford will be back on Westerdam but likely won't be. Keep enjoying- Sitka is our favorite stop up there. You are so right- Glacier Bay is flat out amazing and breathtaking no matter how many times I am there it takes my breath away.

Can you find out the name of the "adorable" Pinnacle maitre d', please?

The current Maitre D' is Sjoerd Wetjers - a really lovely Dutch young man - and word has it that he'll be promoted (to PG Manager?) next week! I am probably not pronouncing his name correctly... something like Shooert ?

I do miss Raj, my ofttimes PG server and HMC cabana person! He was always a delight. Note to self: ask Sjoerd where Raj is now....

Edited by Moriah

The current Maitre D' is Sjoerd Wetjers - a really lovely Dutch young man - and word has it that he'll be promoted (to PG Manager?) next week! I am probably not pronouncing his name correctly... something like Shooert ?

I do miss Raj, my ofttimes PG server and HMC cabana person! He was always a delight. Note to self: ask Sjoerd where Raj is now....

We know Raj- he is the greatest. He was our server for our wedding lunch on Oosterdam in 2013!

Last I heard Raj is now a PG Manager! PG Manager Tim is on Zuiderdam now- also excellent!

Other favorites are Norman and Dian

Edited by frankc98376

We know Raj- he is the greatest. He was our server for our wedding lunch on Oosterdam in 2013!

Last I heard Raj is now a PG Manager!

Other favorites are Norman and Dian

That's wonderful! I'll ask around about what ship Raj is manager on! I hope it's NA - I'll be on her in the Caribbean in November... I'll also ask about Norman and Dian. Making my note real rather than mental so I'll really remember! :)

Many thanks for your great posts! And thanks in particular for info on the Band in the Ocean Bar. We don't like the BB Kings but do like to get as much time on the dance floor every day as possible so it is wonderful to know the Band onboard now is good. Just wished they played every day!

Enjoy the cruise!

Our unlimited internet on the Nieuw Amsterdam ENDED at midnight the evening before we disembarked. My attempt to login at 12:03 incurred a new charge of $199. I did not use any of the new minutes and was successful in having the Neptune Lounge folks delete it from my bill. Just a word of warning.

Well, it's Friday, the last day of a wonderful cruise! I've been keeping an eye out for Bostonjetset, but haven't seen anyone resembling his profile photo... :(

More info about the PG: Sjoerd Wetjers is now the PGM but just for the week. He's finishing his training and is now in line for a promotion to PGM, but it won't necessarily be on Westerdam. Gabor, who has been PGM on Westerdam since Raj has gone on his vacattion, will be back on board tomorrow, and Sjoerd will be either be working as a waiter in the PG or getting assigned to another ship.

Nobody was sure if Raj is on another ship, or is actually still between contracts. One rumor had it that he is on Noordam, but not as PGM.

I inquired about Norman and Dian, but Sjoerd was not familiar with them - I'll ask our servers at dinner tonight. So far there has been no server that we've been particularly taken with this cruise in the PG... perhaps tonight that will change. We adored our MDR server so much we ate there twice (many cruises we don't even get there at all, but I'm so glad we did this time - food was great - and Yasa was a delight)

Heavy fog and very very high winds since Ketchikan. Two announcements by the Captain who had to tell us that despite Westerdam trying to all-out book it to Victoria - because of the very strong headwinds we've been set back a few hours and will dock there past 8 PM tonight. Needless to say, shore excursions are canceled, and probably won't be much point in anyone going ashore since it is supposed to be quite nasty there this evening weather-wise.

So... a leisurely rainy and foggy last day at sea. We're already packed, had a wonderful lunch at the PG, and we are settling in for a quiet afternoon in our suite. We might venture out to the variety show at 3 PM with James Ceilen (the illusionist whose show we did not attend a few nights ago) and Jesse Kazemek (the Beatles revival entertainer). We did see Kazemek's show the other night and it was very entertaining. Strange to see the Beatles "revived" in a one man show rather than four... but he pulled it off somehow! The Band backed him up brilliantly. The only not great part of the show was Kazemek's wife and the bit they have her do - it's really silly humor and doesn't add a thing to the show IMO... She has a great singing voice and is a great addition to the act, but the comedy schtick they perform could be cut, leaving a much higher quality show... If you love Beatles' songs you will like this show, undoubtedly... it's just a little strange in some ways.

We had drinks in the PG bar last night - Exxie tending bar - he makes a fantastic Margarita when asked to make it the "real" way (Patron on the rocks with fresh lime and just a very small amount of sour mixer)... We saw Exxie again this morning tending the smoothie bar - which he's done every morning that we are at sea (even on partial sea days if Westerdam is at sea from 8 to 11 AM he's making to order smoothies at the Atrium Bar... today however, he was set up by the Lido Pool. Smoothie was a healthy breakfast - we were trying to eat light at breakfast since we had PG for both lunch and dinner today~! Now I'm trying to resist the cheesecake in the Neptune Lounge because I know there is Cherry Garcia Baked Alaska tonight!! :)

Another note about Adagio.. as I mentioned before the Entertainment Manager contacted the Neptune concierges to respond to my complaint, but then the next day, I got a phone call directly to me from the EM, asking me more about it!! Wow... I told him the same thing.. she played only show tunes and not very well, and I've always enjoyed the classical music in the Explorer's lounge and missed it... he repeated that the violinist had been medically disembarked and said perhaps the pianist had received requests and thus the show tunes. This was not my experience... but anyway, I appreciated that so much attention was paid to my little written note!! It pays to leave your feedback! I try to leave lots of positive feedback as well!!

Any last minute questions? ... as I said this has been one fantastic cruise. Good people, good service, good food, good weather, great ship!! Just booked a future cruise... same time next year but on Oosterdam... (meanwhile I'll be on NA in November in the Caribbean with my daughter, so lots of cruising to look forward to!)

Edited by Moriah

Stupendous post!

So, how did you like lunch in the Pinnacle and what would you both recommend?

Can you give me an idea of what ingredients Exxie has to work with for the smoothies?

Too bad about not running into Boston... Quite young and very well dressed is what I would be on the outlook for.

Enjoy!

I still haven't given up on saying hi to Boston - maybe we'll run into one another yet today.

We both had the Pinnacle Burger... it's just so good!! I always ask for a veggie instead of fries, and today we got asparagus and Asian slaw. I also had the tomato-chicken broth which was absolutely delicious. I was so satisfied after my soup I thought I woudn't have room for the burger.. but :) of course that proved not to be true!

Smoothie bar has lots of really nice, fresh ingredients. Pretty much anything you can dream up, and if there's something else you want, as long as it's on the ship, he'll get it for you. It's closed now so I can't take a photo of the list, but from memory here's what he has:

Fruits: Apples, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, pineapple

Veg: Cucumber, spinach, celery, broccoli (I know there are more but I'm drawing a blank)

Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, sunflowerseeds, pecans, cashews

Other: Peanut butter, something chocolatey... and a few other things.

Juices: orange, cranberry, (and another juice... apple maybe?)

Bases: Yogurt, almond milk, soy milk, rice milk,and regular milk in various %'s

You simply tell Exxie what to put in the blender and he mixes up your custom smoothie!! When it was too much for the glass he simply gave us two glasses full! :) I usually had almond milk with blueberries, raspberries, spinach, celery, and pecans, and peanut butter. Yum!!!

Thanks for all the PG info! Hopefully on one of your cruises you will get to be with Clifford in PG. Everyone loves Clifford- great guy and a great server.

We are just across the water from Victoria and pretty calm here. I hear it is pretty windy on the Strait. According to Victoria webcam about 23 knots.

Enjoy your dinner in the PG (silly thing to say :) and your Baked Alaska.

Thanks SO much for including us on your trip!!

I still haven't given up on saying hi to Boston - maybe we'll run into one another yet today.

We both had the Pinnacle Burger... it's just so good!! I always ask for a veggie instead of fries, and today we got asparagus and Asian slaw. I also had the tomato-chicken broth which was absolutely delicious. I was so satisfied after my soup I thought I woudn't have room for the burger.. but :) of course that proved not to be true!

Smoothie bar has lots of really nice, fresh ingredients. Pretty much anything you can dream up, and if there's something else you want, as long as it's on the ship, he'll get it for you. It's closed now so I can't take a photo of the list, but from memory here's what he has:

Veg: Cucumber, spinach, celery, broccoli (I know there are more but I'm drawing a blank)

You simply tell Exxie what to put in the blender and he mixes up your custom smoothie!! When it was too much for the glass he simply gave us two glasses full! :) I usually had almond milk with blueberries, raspberries, spinach, celery, and pecans, and peanut butter. Yum!!!

Fantastic!

"something chocolatey" sounds good for starters. The smoothies may become my fav breakfast after the Asian one in the DR and the cinnamon buns from the Expl Cafe with white hot chocolate. Makes me feel healthy just thinking about it!

Thanks very much for your posts. Glad you are having a great cruise!

Stupendous post!

So, how did you like lunch in the Pinnacle and what would you both recommend?

Can you give me an idea of what ingredients Exxie has to work with for the smoothies?

Too bad about not running into Boston... Quite young and very well dressed is what I would be on the outlook for.

Enjoy!

You are too kind my dear.

Such a pity we missed each other. I was often found on deck nine aft with a cigarette and a mug of PG Tips haha.

It was a lovely voyage and the ship was in wonderful shape. Glacier Bay was breathtaking as you said. Amazing how the weather was so nice when for weeks it rained for days on end. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in 7058. Directly in front of entrance to Neptune lounge. Great room. Everything was in tip top shape. New to me since my last cruise in a NS: espresso machines and coffee setup in room, and Bose Bluetooth speaker to listen to our own music. Both fantastic additions and we used them a lot. The only thing showing its age was the veranda table - it is quite scuffed up. That did not deter us in the least from enjoying our balcony, and as said, our suite, and the ship in general, excellent ship-shape!

I saw that you were docked in Victoria last night. Hopefully you made it in early enough to get some time ashore- beautiful little city!

Safe travels home today- sorry about the rain this morning!

We arrived late to Victoria due to high winds on our run from Ketchikan. It was dark and rainy and there wasn't much time so we did not disembark and since all shore excursions were cancelled not to many pax went ashore. I've enjoyed Victoria greatly on other visits and will again in future I'm sure :)

In a Neptune two doors down from Moriah (we were the ones with the balloons on the door courtesy of our daughter's purchase of the BonVoyage package--certainly made it easy to find our hall and door).

Wonderful cabin stewards (HOHO and ?) who told me they had 21 cabins to clean.

Loved the Pinnacle as always, especially the maitre d' (whose name I now know thanks to Moriah). In the PG, we were pleased with Didi, Mr. Kim (aka energizer bunny) is a kick to watch, be your server, and talk with, and also Juli this morning. It was nice to have breakfast in there most mornings.

Yes, the Adagio soloist was pretty bad, finally had a violin back on the last night I believe.

I found the main dining room menu to be much improved from our last trip on the Maasdam last year. Very little wait time for open seating and very timely service as well as nice menu choices. (But the guy on the last night in a t-shirt, jeans, and baseball cap was :eek:) Should have gone back to PG for a 4th time.....

Glacier Bay was fabulous, the weather was usually mostly cloudy with occasional little sprinkles no matter where we were. Only time we really felt ship movement were the first evening and the last day.

And lots of sales in the ports.

Did not get off in Victoria as the Princess ship had docked before us so we just watched the hoards disembarking from that big ship.

Went to the Captain's virtual bridge tour in the Vista Room, it was so informative and funny. Loved it.

All in all, great trip. (And really spoiled by the Neptune upsell we took!)

We were in 7058. Directly in front of entrance to Neptune lounge. Great room. Everything was in tip top shape. New to me since my last cruise in a NS: espresso machines and coffee setup in room, and Bose Bluetooth speaker to listen to our own music. Both fantastic additions and we used them a lot. The only thing showing its age was the veranda table - it is quite scuffed up. That did not deter us in the least from enjoying our balcony, and as said, our suite, and the ship in general, excellent ship-shape!

Thanks for the additional details, much appreciated!

In a Neptune two doors down from Moriah (we were the ones with the balloons on the door courtesy of our daughter's purchase of the BonVoyage package--certainly made it easy to find our hall and door).

Wonderful cabin stewards (HOHO and ?) who told me they had 21 cabins to clean.

Loved the Pinnacle as always, especially the maitre d' (whose name I now know thanks to Moriah). In the PG, we were pleased with Didi, Mr. Kim (aka energizer bunny) is a kick to watch, be your server, and talk with, and also Juli this morning. It was nice to have breakfast in there most mornings.

Oh yes! Your balloons made our hall festive! We assumed you were celebrating a birthday ! Hoho's helper's name is Subchi. He goes on vacation next week and will be home in time for the birth of his daughter! Those two were a wonderful smiling, hardworking team!!

Thanks for reminding me to mention Didi in the PG! A delightful server!

We only had one breakfast there this cruise because Exxie's smoothies in the atrium became our new favorite breakfast ��

I know what you mean about the Neptune spoiling you ... But we switch between cabin types frequently depending on itinerary, budget, etc. there is no bad cabin on any HAL ship as far as I'm concerned :)

Glad you enjoyed! I agree we are so lucky with the weather! I've already booked same week next year in Alaska!

Edited by Moriah