Anniversary Sale Prepaid Gratuities Question

Alberta Quilter

For those of you who have already booked and sailed under the Anniversary Sale promotion, would you please advise how the prepaid gratuities work? Did the HSC still show on your onboard statement and was credited later? Or did it not show at all on the statement? I'm just wondering how it all works.

Thanks very much for your help!

For those of you who have already booked and sailed under the Anniversary Sale promotion, would you please advise how the prepaid gratuities work? Did the HSC still show on your onboard statement and was credited later? Or did it not show at all on the statement? I'm just wondering how it all works.

Thanks very much for your help!

Hi AQ - What Anniversary sale promo? Are you and your mum planning any more cruises? I'd love to sail with you and Tink again in the future. Mum and I are off on a 7 day Boston to Montreal cruise Sept. 24th. (to celebrate her 92 birthday). She's like the Energizer Bunny - keeps on going:D

Hi AQ - What Anniversary sale promo? Are you and your mum planning any more cruises? I'd love to sail with you and Tink again in the future. Mum and I are off on a 7 day Boston to Montreal cruise Sept. 24th. (to celebrate her 92 birthday). She's like the Energizer Bunny - keeps on going:D

Hi Sue,

Yes, we're off to Mexico in October. The Anniversary sale ran earlier this year, maybe in April to June. We booked the cruise while on our Hawaii cruise in May.

We have booked a lovely cruise in February on the Rotterdam. 21 days RT FLL. It does a full circle of the Caribbean. It can be booked in two one way segments, too. Why don't you and your Mum join us?

Please wish her a very Happy Birthday for us!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Hi Sue,

Yes, we're off to Mexico in October. The Anniversary sale ran earlier this year, maybe in April to June. We booked the cruise while on our Hawaii cruise in May.

We have booked a lovely cruise in February on the Rotterdam. 21 days RT FLL. It does a full circle of the Caribbean. It can be booked in two one way segments, too. Why don't you and your Mum join us?

Please wish her a very Happy Birthday for us!

Hi AQ. Mexico next month and 21 days on the Rotterdam in February - lovely. Unfortunately I have my April cruise to Hawaii booked with final payment in January. However, you never know with me:D If I find a last minute deal and our winter is very cold..... I've heard E. Canada is suppose to get a lot of snow this year. I'd rather that than the heat we've had since June. I'll pass on your BD greeting to my mum. She's an amazing woman for her age.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this information a little.

We had the anniversary promo with the prepaid gratuities. When we boarded, I got a copy of our account (Zuiderdam has the kiosks, very easy!). I saw the OBC I expected to have, plus we each had an additional $135. The line was long so I didn't bother to ask about it. Later, I was at the front desk to sign up for the cooking class, and I heard the explanation that these odd amounts were the prepaid grats. OK, that made sense.

I checked the account a few days later, and saw that the $135 credit had been taken off. But, each day showed the 13.50 per person debited and then immediately credited. I guess the gratuity credit got loaded the wrong way and they fixed it. It looked a little confusing on the printout, but it all came out right at the end.

We had 100 free internet minutes, and that worked the same way. We bought it, got charged $55, and then immediately credited $55.

And to answer a question that came up in another thread a while ago (I looked but can't find it), it appears that you do get Mariner day credits for these prepaid items. I just checked my account, and it shows more credits than our onboard spending would give. So it appears that everything on the account, including the prepaid items, counted toward Mariner day credits.

One other funny thing about OBC. The last day, I checked the account and saw that I had $3.81 OBC left. That evening, the front office called to remind me that I had OBC left, and that if I didn't spend it, it would be lost. I asked the amount, and yes it was $3.81. I let HAL keep it--the only way to use such a small amount would have been to spend more than that!

Just wanted to update this information a little.

We had the anniversary promo with the prepaid gratuities.

I checked the account a few days later, and saw that the $135 credit had been taken off. But, each day showed the 13.50 per person debited and then immediately credited. I guess the gratuity credit got loaded the wrong way and they fixed it. It looked a little confusing on the printout, but it all came out right at the end.

We had 100 free internet minutes, and that worked the same way. We bought it, got charged $55, and then immediately credited $55.

And to answer a question that came up in another thread a while ago (I looked but can't find it), it appears that you do get Mariner day credits for these prepaid items. I just checked my account, and it shows more credits than our onboard spending would give. So it appears that everything on the account, including the prepaid items, counted toward Mariner day credits.

One other funny thing about OBC. The last day, I checked the account and saw that I had $3.81 OBC left. That evening, the front office called to remind me that I had OBC left, and that if I didn't spend it, it would be lost. I asked the amount, and yes it was $3.81. I let HAL keep it--the only way to use such a small amount would have been to spend more than that!

We were on the Westerdam to Alaska in September. The prepaid gratuities showed as a debit/credit. The 100 internet minutes: we were told to sign up for unlimited at $99 and a credit for $99 showed up. We were also surprised that our Mariner days total was more than expected and assume that yes, the promos are included in the calculation. Our only difference is that our mysterious $3.94 ending credit balance (from the $300 HAL OBC) was credited back to our credit card on file. Great respect for the overnight auditors who have to figure everything out.

We were on the Westerdam to Alaska in September. The prepaid gratuities showed as a debit/credit. The 100 internet minutes: we were told to sign up for unlimited at $99 and a credit for $99 showed up. We were also surprised that our Mariner days total was more than expected and assume that yes, the promos are included in the calculation. Our only difference is that our mysterious $3.94 ending credit balance (from the $300 HAL OBC) was credited back to our credit card on file. Great respect for the overnight auditors who have to figure everything out.

I haven't seen my $3.81 credited to my credit card yet, but maybe the bother of crediting balances is why the front office called me to encourage me to spend it?