Just got an upsell

cheeseclan

We have had the Ruby Princess thanksgiving cruise booked for quite some time. We did get a great deal for the 3 of us in an Emerald deck mini suite. We like getting upgrades but that has not happened to us in quite some time. So when an upsell comes along to a suite we try to jump on it.

The upsell was not as cheap as in the past but the total cost was still way cheaper than the current price of a mini suite now. So we are happy.

Anyone who wanted the covered mini on the Emerald deck, there is now one available.

I'm totally confused. Can you post something like "We booked a mini. We got an upsell offer of X dollars per person for a whatever suite for 3 people."

As of right now, there is one Emerald Deck Mini-Suite available on that cruise. The price to book that cabin right now, for 3 people is $4,427. The OP paid less than that when it was booked, but we don't know how much less. The post says that the cabin was once $2,600, but I think that was for 2 people and not 3. But I know that prices are higher now than they were in, say, May during the Red White and Blue sale. I am on a different cruise in November and if anyone wants to book the Mini-Suite next to mine, it will cost them $500 more today as compared to the price I locked in). So the all-in price that the OP is now paying for a Suite ($3,400 for 3 people) is less than the all-in price for three people who want to snatch up the Mini-Suite cabin that the OP just tossed back.

By the way...the cruise that I am on has almost every non-aft Suite still available, with just over 60 days before departure. So I am guessing that several upsell offers will be coming soon. I'd like to get one, but the odds are slim.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Sorry for the confusion. But the price for 3 people was $2600. This is the cruise only fare that you see on the beginning of your confirmations. We booked this a long time ago and our agent got us an AWESOME deal :) The upsell price for the suite was for the 3 of us and is $3400 for us in the suite. It too is just the cruise only fare. I do not need to add in the insurance since most do not get it and then the taxes and fees since everyone pays them.

Just giving you apples to apples.

So yes, it is a great deal since the minis are now way more money.

Sorry for the confusion. But the price for 3 people was $2600. This is the cruise only fare that you see on the beginning of your confirmations. We booked this a long time ago and our agent got us an AWESOME deal :) The upsell price for the suite was for the 3 of us and is $3400 for us in the suite. It too is just the cruise only fare. I do not need to add in the insurance since most do not get it and then the taxes and fees since everyone pays them.

So the bottom line is that the upsell was $800 total for the 3 of you. Sounds like a good deal, especially if you look at the price increases that happened since you booked.

With all the political calls come to our phone we have not been answering calls where we don't recognize the caller ID. Do any of our CC friends know what/where the ID looks like if we get offered an upsell for our Oct 29 Panama Canal 10 day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With all the political calls come to our phone we have not been answering calls where we don't recognize the caller ID. Do any of our CC friends know what/where the ID looks like if we get offered an upsell for our Oct 29 Panama Canal 10 day?

Great question. I second.

All the upgrade/upsell offers we've had have been email...then YOU call them, leave a message and Princess calls you back.

If prices have increased, I never consider those increased prices when considering an upsell...

I always know the price I paid when I booked it and the price I would have paid if, at the time, I would have booked the higher category...

For example, for my upcoming Ruby Christmas cruise, a balcony cabin would have cost $550 more...I was going to book it, but my wife said to save the money...The "weighing" we do at the time we book is to ask ourselves whether we would pay that much more for that next category...If it's close, we go for it, a wider spread and we'll often turn it down...

So, when Princess comes back to me months later with an "upsell" offer, to me the current pricing is moot...After all, they are not getting that anyways, otherwise they wouldn't be offering me an upsell...

So, let's say they come back and offer me that balcony I turned down at the time for $500, I turn it down and laugh--I would not have been willing to pay that at the time, why would I do it now...and for a much narrower choice of cabins?

But, say they offer it to me for $200, then I might take it...I ask myself, "when I booked this thing, if that balcony would have cost only $200 more, would I have gone for it? If so, then, yes, go for it now...

For me, on this one, I figured that $550 was an extra $70 a day for that balcony. For the use I'd get out of it, would I rent that little outdoor space for $70 each day? Especially since we'll be in port half the days? Drop that to $25 a day and...sure...

Now, if they were offering me a suite, the same logic comes into play...I've cruised in suites before, but, how much do I really use the cabin other than to sleep and change clothes? How much more per day would it be worth to me?

Awesome indeed! Congrats!

We got an upsell offer today for our 19 day cruise in November. It was $1199 per person which I thought was too high.

We got an upsell offer this week for our 20 night cruise departing this Wednesday on Sun Princess. $1299pp to go from a midships inside cabin to a balcony, and the only balcony cabins left are aft. Way too expensive for us.

Can there be upsell opportunities a day before the cruise, and on the day of the cruise?

In theory, yes. But the whole point to an upsell offer, (or free upgrade) is to fill a higher priced cabin that will be difficult to fill at full price in order to open up a lower priced cabin that they can sell a second time. In order for this to pay off, they have to give themselves enough lead time to complete the secon sale of the now-empty cabin. If they allow an upsell from a Mini-Suite to a full Suite the day of or the day before the cruise, while they will net more money from the upsell passenger, they will in all likelihood leave the Mini-Suites empty. They will be better off than before, but still sub-optimal. 100% occupancy is the goal and they usually achieve it.