Ok here goes, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Tillylovesseabourn

I have to shake my head when someone takes the opinion of someone else--"trusted" or not--as gospel and as a result refuses to try something for himself or herself. Not how I want to go through life.

Well good for you! However, life is too short and time too precious for bad food. I have been on lots of lines and been very unimpressed by mdr food on the whole. I take this advice from someone i trust implicitly, and they know my tastes, so it is a no brainer for me really, but my choice.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

Not really, was not particularly impressed by the normal buffet fare in the day, and didnt fancy anything from the mdr menus, and had excellent fare and service in the specialities and grill. So, certainly didnt think i was missing out. I had to return to the specialities for my souffle too!

On our last cruise, we ate in the specialty restaurants virtually every night. There was no obligation to order "a full meal". On some nights, I ordered two appetizers and dessert. On others, I ordered an entree, soup and a salad.

I never left the restaurants hungry. And all my clothes still fit at the end of the cruise.;)

I do the starters all the time vs a main.. never order dessert but i do ask for a Petit Four most nights. also no bread on Table in general. easy way to live on ship.

I have enjoyed following this thread as the discussion featured our two favourite cruise lines - although our cruise days on Seabourn (80+ days) is greater than our Azamara cruise days (30).

We cruise in a V5 midship on Seabourn and found our CC suite on Azamara compared favourably, apart from the smaller bathroom.

Crew comparison is similar with friendly helpful teams who try to know and remember your name as well as your personal likes. Officer comparison puts Azamara way ahead as the Captain is everywhere - waving you off on your tender, welcoming you back, wandering up to your table at dinner to see if everything is ok, cooking up a storm on the Officer Pool deck lunch - just a superb passenger experience IMHO.

Discussion and comparison of cruise line food and restaurants is very subjective and reliant upon personal taste and preference and of course the experience of the individual cruise/s you have completed.

My 2 cents worth on food. -

Seabourn Restaurant (MDR) is superior and more consistent than Azamara Discoveries (MDR). Azamara speciality restaurants (Aqualina and Prime C ) are the best restaurants we have dined in at sea. The CC suite allowed us the opportunity to dine often at both speciality restaurants. Such a quiet, intimate and delightful experience. My high rating of the Azamara speciality restaurants also includes comparison with our smaller number of cruises on Crystal, Regent and Celebrity.

As to buffets (love them or hate them) I found Azamara windows excellent in the evenings and although a fan of Seabourn's Colannade, I enjoyed the greater variety at night in Windows, particularly the Pasta and Asian cooking stations where your meal is prepared as you wait and watch - with your own choice of ingredients and sauces. Yes, it slowed the process somewhat, but everyone in line seemed interested in your choices and there was lots of opportunity for chit chat whilst we waited.

Finally we found the Asian Yum Cha brunch on the occasional Azamara sea day to be an enjoyable and very different dining experience.

Summary - Fair to say Seabourn is our cruiseline of choice but we would have no hesitation in again cruising Azamara for the right itinerary and time of year.

Very hard to split as both cruise lines are excellent in our view.