Ok here goes, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Tillylovesseabourn

Thanks for your review.

Just wondering if you filled out a comment card which is usually given to guests halfway through the cruise. I have made comments both good and bad and have always received a call from either the Hotel Manager or their staff trying to rectify the situation.

Pat

We just returned from our first Azamara cruise on Journey after being on for 3 weeks. We are frequent Seabourn/Regent cruisers and completely agree with the service comparison above. We also ate every night at the specialty restaurants and found food and service to be excellent.

However, as noted, everywhere else you had to ask for everything, e.g. no drink refills were ever offered. It sort of wears you down. At least in Windows, service was fairly quick when asked. In the Living Room, service was painfully slow and disengaged. Sometimes they come to pour you a glass after you ask, but the bottle is almost empty and they pour the glass maybe 1/3 full. You would expect they come with a new bottle to fill the glass, but no, they are done.

Another issue was the difficulty in getting white and sparkling wine properly chilled. Sometimes you get a glass of cold wine, then the next glass is tepid. Even nice champagne does not taste good when warm, and this sparkling wine certainly did not benefit. Again,in the specialty restaurants everything, including sparkling water, was always properly chilled. If they could bring the rest of the staff closer to the level in the specialties, it would be a great improvement.

Based on our experience, we have decided we will give Azamara a miss in the future and stick with Seabourn/Regent. While certainly not perfect, they better meet our expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found these comments interesting. We were 3 weeks on Quest and didn't have this issue but I will share we made a point of learning the server's name and chatting them up. We had a routine and went to the Living Room almost every night for pre dinner cocktails at about the same time. As we entered DH would go to the bar and request our drink. Generally the rotations were timely and our drinks refilled. But we found the servers who knew us, looked after us.

We did have a very different problem from the lady with too strong drinks. Our tipple is gin and tonic. It appeared the bartenders were all trained to make this in a tall glass (and these were about 12 ounce glasses) and poured an ounce or so with a ton of the (cheap) tonic. We learned to request the drink in a lowball glass which made the proportions what we are used to at home and, on other cruise lines. We had other pax approach us because they too were disappointed in their G&T and soon we had started a trend. The tonics they use on cruise ships are typically not name brand and Azamara is no different. I haven't tried Seabourn or Crystal but a line using a premium tonic like Fevertree would really demonstrate attention to detail. In the UK where gin is a more common drink, a good bartender puts your little bottle of tonic on the side and you add to your taste.

Ccotting, shouldnt it be the server learning your name and preference as you are the paying customer? You really shouldnt be having to chat them up to get what you want. I think that is the point both myself and BBWC are making. Effort is required, you have to ask. That is the difference.

We were on Journey in August and I have to say that, with just a couple of exceptions, our wine glasses were always kept topped up in Discoveries, the buffet and living room. On the pool deck, we were asked many times whether we needed a drink. Of course, we beckoned someone when felt like a drink immediately. The only exceptions to this exceptional service were during white night when the deck was crowded and it was a little difficult to attract attention. That said, it was an easy walk to the bar!

Thought your review was very balanced Tilly and I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise despite the niggles.

Must admit always like to have fresh berries for breakfast and the bowl of frozen mush in Windows Cafe does not appeal at all. Have never seen ramekins of berries there but always have them in the MDR.

We did have a slight issue with strong drinks during our recent June cruise but a quiet word solved the problem immediately and must admit refills haven't been an issue either.

In my experience Azamara service on both ships is exemplary and I can't recall having a problem with anyone.

Would very much like to try Seabourn once they amend their smoking policy.

We were on Journey in August and I have to say that, with just a couple of exceptions, our wine glasses were always kept topped up in Discoveries, the buffet and living room. On the pool deck, we were asked many times whether we needed a drink. Of course, we beckoned someone when felt like a drink immediately. The only exceptions to this exceptional service were during white night when the deck was crowded and it was a little difficult to attract attention. That said, it was an easy walk to the bar!

Totally agree - never had a problem, glasses topped up without us asking. Often I had to quickly put my hand over my glass as I can't take more than a couple of drinks a day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I found these comments interesting. We were 3 weeks on Quest and didn't have this issue but I will share we made a point of learning the server's name and chatting them up. We had a routine and went to the Living Room almost every night for pre dinner cocktails at about the same time. As we entered DH would go to the bar and request our drink. Generally the rotations were timely and our drinks refilled. But we found the servers who knew us, looked after us.

We did have a very different problem from the lady with too strong drinks. Our tipple is gin and tonic. It appeared the bartenders were all trained to make this in a tall glass (and these were about 12 ounce glasses) and poured an ounce or so with a ton of the (cheap) tonic. We learned to request the drink in a lowball glass which made the proportions what we are used to at home and, on other cruise lines. We had other pax approach us because they too were disappointed in their G&T and soon we had started a trend. The tonics they use on cruise ships are typically not name brand and Azamara is no different. I haven't tried Seabourn or Crystal but a line using a premium tonic like Fevertree would really demonstrate attention to detail. In the UK where gin is a more common drink, a good bartender puts your little bottle of tonic on the side and you add to your taste.

Ah..the tonic water problem!

We have had numerous discussions with F & B about the tonic water.

Usually it is Royal Club ( hmmmmm,..) but ( very) occasionally it might be Schweppes ( better).

I enjoy a G & T with Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray but wouldn't ruin decent gin with the usual onboard tonic.

We recently met up with US friends when they were in the UK and introduced them to the joys of Fever Tree tonic ..from which there is no going back!

Pat, no i didnt, but i dont recall recieiving one either? Shame as i would have liked to have been able to comment,but i did respond to the emailed questionaire after the cruise.

There is a comments sheet sent out during the cruise. It would have been in your Daily Pursuits delivery. Not sure if you went to the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle, but all the ones I've been to the Cruise Director actively encourages feedback on the ship to resolve issues. They can't do anything if people don't raise it at the time. They don't want people coming home and complaining afterwards because there is nothing they can do then.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this thread now. It seems to have been become a bar tender/server bashing. For the record I've been on quite a few Azamara cruises and have never experienced a lack of attention by them and they are always obliging if you point something out. If they can't there is a Head Bartender or Bar Manager available if necessary.

I filled out the mid-cruise comment sheet and got a telephone call, thanking me for my feedback. One thing that I had commented on (a light switch missing where I thought there should be one), she said she was forwarding on to somebody who might be able to fix the issue.

I filled out the mid-cruise comment sheet and got a telephone call, thanking me for my feedback. One thing that I had commented on (a light switch missing where I thought there should be one), she said she was forwarding on to somebody who might be able to fix the issue.

The telephone call is new and the thanks for commenting is also posted on the interactive TV.

I think this speaks highly of the staff's commitment to meeting expectations.

The telephone call is new, at least in our experience, and the thanks for commenting is also posted on the interactive TV.

I think this speaks highly of the staff's commitment to meeting expectations.

Ah..the tonic water problem!

We have had numerous discussions with F & B about the tonic water.

Usually it is Royal Club ( hmmmmm,..) but ( very) occasionally it might be Schweppes ( better).

I enjoy a G & T with Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray but wouldn't ruin decent gin with the usual onboard tonic.

We recently met up with US friends when they were in the UK and introduced them to the joys of Fever Tree tonic ..from which there is no going back!

Yepper! Can do Schweppes but am spoiled now for Fever Tree.

No bashing here! Wait staff were great. I did notice that the bar staff circulated less when things were quiet. They do get bored and that's only fair. If there is only a few of you in the lounge, frequent visits are not what you want from the staff. So they take a moment and talk to each other.

We did 2 back to backs and first cruise was quite standard in terms of bar staff making rounds. Second was a golf cruise and the nights the golfers were late the lounge was very quiet. When the servers knew you, they had a sense of when to call and often brought us the next round just about perfectly without even asking.

Having just come back from my daily schadenfreude read on one of the self-proclaimed "luxury" line boards [not Seabourn], I would like to stress that my comments -- and I'm sure most of the other pro-Azamara comments on this thread -- were not meant to negate or call into question Tilly's experience. What happened to you happened, and you have a right to feel that it diminished the cruise for you. I [we] are only trying to point out that it isn't something that happens regularly on Azamara, to encourage you to try another cruise! [And yes, I was pleased to see the announcement of Seabourn's smoking policy change and have added them to my search list.]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Just to address some of the comments.

Yes, we have noticed cutbacks on Regent, as well as on Seabourn. My comments were mainly directed to service issues, not the overall experience. For instance, with respect to selection at the buffets, I believe Seabourn has a better selection and higher quality ingredients, but I consider Regent to be roughly comparable to Azamara. (There were frozen berries, but we also found the fresh ones in the ramekins.) However, we found the quality of wines on Azamara quite a bit below both Seabourn and Regent even though there are quite a few complaints on those boards as well.

As for chatting up crew to get good service, that is not our style and we agree with Tilly that it is up to staff to be proactive in offering service. We were on for three weeks, so they certainly knew our preferences, but it did not seem to make much difference in getting served.

Finally, I would like to stress that we had a good time on board and were certainly not miserable, but just wanted to point out some shortcomings that we think should be addressed to improve the overall experience.

BBWC, couldnt agree with you more. I feel a fair review was published by both parties. Obviously, we wont please everybody, but not mentioning any shortcomings doesn't help improve anything for future passengers.It would be very naive to thing that there wont be niggles whoever one travels with.

Host Jazzbeau, the luxury lines are not "self proclaimed", they are as per the reknowned berlitz guide et al and the cruise industry as a whole. The brands work hard in order to keep up standards and like the hotel star rating system there is a clear difference between the premium of which Oceania and Azamara sit and the luxury lines, not only in cost. To suggest that it is the lines only that put themselves into these categories is unfair.

There is a comments sheet sent out during the cruise. It would have been in your Daily Pursuits delivery. Not sure if you went to the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle, but all the ones I've been to the Cruise Director actively encourages feedback on the ship to resolve issues. They can't do anything if people don't raise it at the time. They don't want people coming home and complaining afterwards because there is nothing they can do then.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this thread now. It seems to have been become a bar tender/server bashing. For the record I've been on quite a few Azamara cruises and have never experienced a lack of attention by them and they are always obliging if you point something out. If they can't there is a Head Bartender or Bar Manager available if necessary.

My experience mirrors yours Phil. The Bar staff are great and if my drink is occasionally too strong (or too weak) they change it instantly with a smile

Host Jazzbeau, the luxury lines are not "self proclaimed", they are as per the reknowned berlitz guide et al and the cruise industry as a whole. The brands work hard in order to keep up standards and like the hotel star rating system there is a clear difference between the premium of which Oceania and Azamara sit and the luxury lines, not only in cost. To suggest that it is the lines only that put themselves into these categories is unfair.

I am very familiar with the Berlitz guide, and its ratings do not support the claims of some cruise lines. Both of Azamara's ships are rated 4.5 stars; so are the two new Oceania ships (their R-ships only get 4 stars); so are Celebrity S-class, Crystal, Cunard, Regent, Viking Ocean, and Windstar. "Luxury" should be 5 stars and above, which Berlitz only gives to Seabourn, Seadream, Silversea (some ships), and Hapag-Lloyd (Europa and Europa 2 get 5.5 stars, the top ships in the entire rating system).

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I am very familiar with the Berlitz guide, and its ratings do not support the claims of some cruise lines. Both of Azamara's ships are rated 4.5 stars; so are the two new Oceania ships (their R-ships only get 4 stars); so are Celebrity S-class, Crystal, Cunard, Regent, Viking Ocean, and Windstar. "Luxury" should be 5 stars and above, which Berlitz only gives to Seabourn, Seadream, Silversea (some ships), and Hapag-Lloyd (Europa and Europa 2 get 5.5 stars, the top ships in the entire rating system).

Jazzbeau, we must have had our wires crossed then. Whilst i thought you were excluding SB' i thought you were referring to the other luxury lines ie Ss, SD, and Hapag lloyd. I agree with you as I certainly don't class windstar,viking or cunard as being in the luxury bracket and wasnt aware they were claiming they were luxury as I dont even consider them so.

[/color]

I always thought Cunard was 5 stars. learn something new everyday. I want to try new cruiselines but i do not want to pack long dresses. not that formal means 5 star. but i do not want to buy a dress just for a cruise. Again thought Crystal was too. love learning from these boards.

I always thought Cunard was 5 stars. learn something new everyday. I want to try new cruiselines but i do not want to pack long dresses. not that formal means 5 star. but i do not want to buy a dress just for a cruise. Again thought Crystal was too. love learning from these boards. [/color]

Cunard can be -- their Berlitz rating is an average of Grill class & Britannia class. If you sail in Grill class [particularly Queens Grill] that should bring the rating to 5 stars.

Crystal is hurt by the small size of the dining rooms on their ships which prevents true anytime dining. Their new ships will surely by rated 5 stars.

That leaves the other 4.5-star cruise lines, some of which claim to be luxury -- thus my original statement about a "self-proclaimed" luxury line.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau