Going without too many Reservations

cdngooner

We are going on our first NCL cruise in March, on Epic. What drew me to NCL was the "freestyle" concept. However, reading many of these posts has me concerned that it is not going to be very freestyle at all, rather we seem to have to reserve everything weeks in advance, like dinner, shows and even bars (I now find out Svedka requires reservations). On Disney, dinner may have been at 5:45 only, but it seems on NCL I'm going to be stuck with a fixed dinner time anyway that was planned weeks before PLUS having to go through the stress of planning and making all these reservations.

Someone please reassure me that NCL really is freestyle. That if I'm hungry for steak at 7:00, I can just stroll up to the restaurant and order a steak. Or if I don't feel like going to the show tonight, I'd rather go tomorrow, I can just go tomorrow.

Or should I be considering switching to a different cruise line?

Edited by cdngooner

Well, if those are your only 2 options...

No, you can't just stroll up and eat a steak whenever you want. There are over 4000 people on your ship, and obviously each an every restaurant can't seat that many people, so they won't all have "just in case" space.

It's a good idea to have reservations for the specialty restaurants. Reservations are never necessary for the complimentary dining spots unless you are a very large party.

There are only 2 or 3 shows that you'd probably want to reserve. The remaining nights, you can wing it. The reservations are for your convenience so that you know you will get a seat. Again, there aren't 4000 seats in the theater.

I remember reserving specialty dining on DCL a billion years ago when I wanted to try Palo on the DCL Magic. I just assumed this is the norm on cruise lines.

It depends on you, and how important it is to be able to do a specific thing.

For me, free style has never been about being able to decide you want tondo something right now and just going and doing it. It is about options, but if something is important to you then it may be worth making reservations.

For example, you will very likely be able to get into a show, but it will involve queueing up in the reserve queue, and the chance that you may not get in. For us, if it's a show that we really want to see then we make a reservation. If we aren't too bothered, we will wait knowing there are other options available.

The same goes for dining. Actual availability can depend from cruise to cruise. We tend to reserve our speciality meals, as it isn't a problem for us to know in advance that we are having a meal in a specific restaurant on a specific day (just as happens on land when you book in a restaurant). You can always get a steak any night, even if the speciality restaurants are full, at the main dining room. It may not be quite as good a steak, but it's there (and there is an upcharge one in the MDR if you want to try that).

Reservations are only required if missing the specific thing will be a real issue to you. You can do the whole thing without any, but you may not be able to do what you want at a specific time (or with popular things, at all).

You can always stroll up to any complimentary dining facility and be seated in a reasonable amount of time (few minutes). Specialty restaurants have a limited number of tables. You can probably walk up to La Cucina and order a steak at most times. There is a high probability that if you walk up to Cagneys steak house at 7:00, you will be asked to return after 8:30.

You can walk up to any show and wait in the standby line and get in 10 mins before show time. May not be front and center seats, but you will see the show. We go standby to the comedy shows most nights.

The ice bar has a limited capacity. Most times you can walk up and be with the next group going in. Sometimes you will be given a time in the future.

We have done many NCL cruises totally freestyle. Avoid the specialty restaurants. Enjoy the wonderful food in the main dining rooms.

Edited by BirdTravels

We are getting ready to sail on the Epic again. We never had a long wait for a table for two and sometimes we actually shared a table with someone no reservation needed. I agree with LrgPizza dining in the included with fare restaurants reservations are not necessary unless you have a large party. Specialty restaurants sometimes have an available table for walk-ups but it is not guaranteed. There are only certain shows that you really need a reservation in advance, example Cirque which includes dinner and you wish to insure a seat that you are happy with during the show. There are so many places to go to eat on the Epic you will always find dinner including steak somewhere. The worse times are right after the early show lets out as there seems to be quite a few people looking for dinner at that time. Even with a reservation you can always change the time once on the ship.

By the way even here at home we cannot just stroll up and order a steak without a reservation most nights. We sure don't mind having a drink at the bar and maybe two while we wait after all we are on the ship and not driving.;)

We have been on many NCL cruises and have never reserved a restaurant or show before getting onboard. We have always woke up each morning and decided how we feel for the day. By 1 or 2 o'clock if we decide we want to go to a special restaurant we call and reserve a table. At other times we have just strolled around and decided to eat at a special restaurant with no reservations. We have always been accommodated. Keep in mind we have not sailed on any of the newer Breakaway class ships, maybe they are different...

I do not enjoy having to plan a whole trip either.

Enjoy your cruise!

As others have said, it depends on how flexible you are. If something's super important to do, then reserve it. If it's not, then just wing it. There's no need to reserve the MDRs, but if you like to eat dinner around 7 p.m. and plan to eat in a specific specialty restaurant then it's a good idea to make a reservation for it.

Unless it's changed since I was on the Epic in March, you don't make a reservation for the Ice Bar--you just go. When we went, we waited maybe fie or six minutes to get geared up and were inside with in 10 or 15 of getting there.

The Epic is great ship and there's always something to do. Enjoy your cruise, and just be flexible and you'll be fine. :D

Glad to hear this feedback, as I'm going in 2 weeks on my first Norwegian cruise (Escape) and the only thing I booked was 2 shows, no dinner reservations (it's just my granddaughter and I). Compare that to cruising on Oasis or Allure where dinner and show had to be booked far in advance for almost every night or you were out of luck! Although I loved those ships and will be going back, I'm really not a fan of having to be so structured on vacation...Looking forward to "freestyle" and being very flexible!

I'm with you I haven't cruised with NCL but booked for this October. Then I saw all of my fellow ROLLCALL members posting that they had already reserved dinning times. That's not freestyle to me. I an relieved that most are saying you can just walk up. I'm ok with a small wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to hear this feedback, as I'm going in 2 weeks on my first Norwegian cruise (Escape) and the only thing I booked was 2 shows, no dinner reservations (it's just my granddaughter and I). Compare that to cruising on Oasis or Allure where dinner and show had to be booked far in advance for almost every night or you were out of luck! Although I loved those ships and will be going back, I'm really not a fan of having to be so structured on vacation...Looking forward to "freestyle" and being very flexible!

I would say it is exactly like oasis. Some shows, like the ice show on Oasis , you're better off with a reservation. We had reservations for all the specialties on Oasis , as we do on escape. But there are lots of options. You can walk up and if there's a wait of 45 minutes, go to another restaurant or grab a drink or shop. There are screens on the ship that tell which restaurants have availability.

I think all these new mega ships are a pain. Lots of choices but it was certainly easier when your only concern was early or late seating.

Where do you go on "my ncl" to reserve a seat for the shows? On my page for my upcoming cruise this month, it says that there are 0 entertainment options able to be booked today. Is the show reservation only on certain ships?

The smaller NCL ships have shows but it is first come seating. The entertainment to book are dinner shows and some stage and comedy shows on the larger ships. You did not mention your ship but I am guessing it is not one of the larger ships since you are leaving this month and there is 0 available.