Drinks Prices

HTFCcruiser

Nothing you or anyone else says, will make the slightest bit of difference. The bean counters have decided. You have booked a longish cruise and if you're going to feel 'ripped off' every time you buy a drink, you are going to have a miserable time. Have a drink or two. Grin and bear the extra expense and just consider this, if your holiday is ruined because of the drinks price rise, you could book with a cruise line which has a lower drinks price strategy next time, but will it match the overall Cunard experience?

Alternatively of course, you could book a cruise line which has an all inclusive drinks policy.

Only you can decide but please, don't let this spoil your holiday.

Yep, couldn't agree more.

Grin and bear it, life is too short and the cheaper alternatives hardly qualify as a viable alternative.

Not exactly a favourite subject of mine and I opened the thread more out of curiosity at the number of comments.

Being a reasonably active Facebook member - I administer two Cunard Specific groups - I followed the link and read a few comments.

The one that caught my eye was ..."Time to vote with one's feet. Balance due in about 4 weeks, and I am looking at three cancellations. This is a rip off".

The chap is of course fully entitled to take whatever action he wishes but it occurred to me that the lost deposits (?) would more than cover any increase in prices: even on my onboard account. :evilsmile: :evilsmile:

It is just my view course that this increase has given a degree of credence to those who take pleasure in beating Cunard with a big stick.

And by the way of a balance, 15 months ago I cruised on Oceania's Riviera. Checking my account and example slips the cost of gin was then what Cunard is today: and then there is the added 18% gratuity charge added.

"The one that caught my eye was" ..."Time to vote with one's feet. Balance due in about 4 weeks, and I am looking at three cancellations. This is a rip off".

Well if that's the one that caught your eye, hopefully it will be the one that catches Cunard's eye.

I am certainly not one to wave a big stick at Cunard, but I remember (on P&O ships) when drinks were a lot cheaper than buying ashore in pubs. I think they were at duty free prices. I further believe this changed when Carnival took over. Whilst I love cruising, I am not really a fan of Carnival Corp. I understand it is a business and profit is king, but in this instance I think they have been both underhanded and petty (in relation to mixers).

I doubt the chap in question is thinking too much about his lost deposits, and I admire his stance on principal. If more people followed his principal, maybe Cunard would rethink their strategy. I too am having real thoughts about cancelling, and it really doesn't affect me as I drink very little, and it's only a short five nighter anyway.

BTW, I have absolutely no idea what I have done to cause different colour text for each paragraph. :eek:

[quote name=Victoria2;53550685Alternatively of course' date=' you could book a cruise line which has an all inclusive drinks policy.

Only you can decide but please, don't let this spoil your holiday.[/quote]

Rest assured it will not spoil our holiday. DH and I will still have the odd drink or two, or three....:D BTW, we recently did an NCL cruise (yes, I know some of you will think we were 'slumming it') and the perk was the drinks package. Must say we did enjoy it ;p

"The one that caught my eye was" ..."Time to vote with one's feet. Balance due in about 4 weeks, and I am looking at three cancellations. This is a rip off".

Well if that's the one that caught your eye, hopefully it will be the one that catches Cunard's eye.

I am certainly not one to wave a big stick at Cunard, but I remember (on P&O ships) when drinks were a lot cheaper than buying ashore in pubs. I think they were at duty free prices. I further believe this changed when Carnival took over. Whilst I love cruising, I am not really a fan of Carnival Corp. I understand it is a business and profit is king, but in this instance I think they have been both underhanded and petty (in relation to mixers).

I doubt the chap in question is thinking too much about his lost deposits, and I admire his stance on principal. If more people followed his principal, maybe Cunard would rethink their strategy. I too am having real thoughts about cancelling, and it really doesn't affect me as I drink very little, and it's only a short five nighter anyway.

BTW, I have absolutely no idea what I have done to cause different colour text for each paragraph. :eek:

Good morning Trevor.

Thank you for your response and views.

Like you, most probably, I have been around some time and these 'anonymous' threats to 'vote with one's feet' do appear within the internet community with regular monotony: indeed, if they were to be believed another Carnival Corporation line, P&O, would be out of business.

The fact remains that having been attracted to Cunard, in that fella's case with three future bookings, the minor matter of a hardly Tsunamic price increase, on spirits and mixers, is hardly a case for the toys leaving the pram.

Meanwhile of course, because I do enjoy a drink while ashore, I've noticed price increases across the board over the last 18 months: in pubs, clubs and restaurants. Carnival Corporation isn't alone.

Have a nice day: always happy to debate controversial issues.

Good morning Trevor.

Thank you for your response and views.

Like you, most probably, I have been around some time and these 'anonymous' threats to 'vote with one's feet' do appear within the internet community with regular monotony: indeed, if they were to be believed another Carnival Corporation line, P&O, would be out of business.

The fact remains that having been attracted to Cunard, in that fella's case with three future bookings, the minor matter of a hardly Tsunamic price increase, on spirits and mixers, is hardly a case for the toys leaving the pram.

Meanwhile of course, because I do enjoy a drink while ashore, I've noticed price increases across the board over the last 18 months: in pubs, clubs and restaurants. Carnival Corporation isn't alone.

Have a nice day: always happy to debate controversial issues.

Price increases yes, they happen, but Cunard putting a 50% increase on spirits may stretch some passengers pockets to the extent that they do in fact reduce their purchasing and then the Bar staff suffer by not receiving their 15% service charge.

A lot of passengers are retired and with the falling $ rate and lack of Interest on savings for some, it may just be a hike too much all in one go.

Edited by Pennbank

Price increases yes, they happen, but a 50% increase on spirits may stretch some passengers pockets to the extent that they do in fact reduce their purchasing and then the staff suffer by not receiving their 15% service charge.

A lot of passengers are retired and with the falling $ rate and lack of Interest on savings for some, it may just be a hike too much all in one go.

I agree with you. Price rises are inevitable from time to time. This one however, is, in my opinion, excessive.

Perhaps I am out of my league here. I have always worked hard and believed in saving for the best you can afford. Unforeseen price rises (though not particularly this one), does have a serious affect on my budget. I suspect some folks who enjoy a lot more drink than I am now able to consume, will be hit hard in the pocket, and if they are not as well off as the majority of Cunarders, they may, through choice or necessity jump ship.

I do hope people don't fire back along the lines of "well if you can't afford it go elsewhere", but things like this price increase may well have that outcome for some.

I agree with you. Price rises are inevitable from time to time. This one however, is, in my opinion, excessive.

Perhaps I am out of my league here. I have always worked hard and believed in saving for the best you can afford. Unforeseen price rises (though not particularly this one), does have a serious affect on my budget. I suspect some folks who enjoy a lot more drink than I am now able to consume, will be hit hard in the pocket, and if they are not as well off as the majority of Cunarders, they may, through choice or necessity jump ship.

I do hope people don't fire back along the lines of "well if you can't afford it go elsewhere", but things like this price increase may well have that outcome for some.

It would appear that some Cunarders may be already doing so.

It will be interesting in the outcome as this will effect not only the British Cruiser, used to a small measure in their hostelries, but also our American Cousins who are used to the larger 1.5oz measure who now will have to purchase the 2oz measure at nearly double the cost prior to Cunard's price increase.

Price increases yes, they happen, but Cunard putting a 50% increase on spirits may stretch some passengers pockets to the extent that they do in fact reduce their purchasing and then the Bar staff suffer by not receiving their 15% service charge.

And of course there are those that have recently ..."been on board and defiantly have drunk less" while continuing to spread the doom and gloom message elsewhere.

As one of your 'retired passengers' the last thing I'm likely to sacrifice is my ability to enjoy what I like doing for the sake of a hundred or so dollars.

It would appear that some Cunarders may be already doing so.

It will be interesting in the outcome as this will effect not only the British Cruiser, used to a small measure in their hostelries, but also our American Cousins who are used to the larger 1.5oz measure who now will have to purchase the 2oz measure at nearly double the cost prior to Cunard's price increase.

Interestingly there aren't too many of your 'American Cousins' making too much fuss over the issue: and neither has it raised its head on a number of genuine Cunarders Facebook groups.

Good morning again Trevor.

In answer to your point which I have highlighted, where do you think these folks will go?

Is there another cruise line that offers the style of cruising offered by Cunard?

Somehow I don't think so.

In the meantime I've seen Member Pennbank's figures, with the headline 50%, bandied around across the internet.

Has anyone stopped and calculated what the 'actual' cost is of say a weeks cruise drinking around 6 G&Ts an evening?

View that increase against the overall cost of the cruise and it looks a whole lot different. :evilsmile:

Interestingly there aren't too many of your 'American Cousins' making too much fuss over the issue: and neither has it raised its head on a number of genuine Cunarders Facebook groups.

Possibly because the increase has only been in a month or so and not everyone is aware, especially in the underhanded way it has been done.

However there were some disagreements over the issue in the Commodore Club on QV were the larger 2oz measure was given without asking and when the bill came the customers were querying the cost.

It is certainly being discussed on the Genuine Cunard's facebook page.

Edited by Pennbank

And of course there are those that have recently ..."been on board and defiantly have drunk less" while continuing to spread the doom and gloom message elsewhere.

As one of your 'retired passengers' the last thing I'm likely to sacrifice is my ability to enjoy what I like doing for the sake of a hundred or so dollars.

Good for you, however their are many who are not so fortunate as yourself and have to tighten their belts due to a fall in income or due to rising prices.

Of course us brits are hit twice. Price increase plus the 25 to 30% devaluation in the pound against the dollar in last 3 years.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

Of course us brits are hit twice. Price increase plus the 25 to 30% devaluation in the pound against the dollar in last 3 years.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

Canadians have experienced a similar devaluation of our currency. I will not have a drink of only one ounce - I wouldn't know if there was any "G" in my G&T:) - so two ounces it will be. I calculated that gin plus tonic plus service charge plus the conversion from US to Canadian $ comes to about $19, which is ridiculous.

If we really want to have it we will, especially if listening to the string quartet or harpist, but it isn't important to us. Due to medications, our doctors have told us to limit (fortunately, not eliminate) alcohol, so this is easier to do with wine and bar prices being what they are.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cunard does what most other cruise lines do: restricting the amount and type of alcohol that passengers may bring on board.

This "American cousin" doesn't intend to drink so much on the voyage that it would make much of a difference (one glass of wine at dinner each evening, perhaps). This "American cousin" is also keeping his mouth shut because he's on the favorable side of the GBP-USD exchange rate, and would never be able to afford to make the trip in the first place if the pound was over, say, USD1.75.

Count me out.

I love Cunard and I'm on holiday. I don't drink sodas and if I feel 'strapped', one or two 'drinks' less a day will help my liver.

I love Cunard too and will undoubtedly continue to cruise with them.

I do drink a mixer with my spirit as it would taste a little strong without it.

As for feeling "strapped" the meaning may have been misunderstood by myself, perhaps depending where you are from, but in my view that does sound rather patronising. There is a difference between feeling "strapped" and "budgeting" according to the advertised prices prior to booking and boarding.

As for drinking 1 or 2 "drinks" less a day then that would see me drinking only water from 7pm onwards or remaining on the balcony to consume the drinks we have brought to drink in the cabin. Neither of which I have "budgeted" or "planned" for this coming cruise in August or the following cruise in October.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This "American cousin" doesn't intend to drink so much on the voyage that it would make much of a difference (one glass of wine at dinner each evening, perhaps). This "American cousin" is also keeping his mouth shut because he's on the favorable side of the GBP-USD exchange rate, and would never be able to afford to make the trip in the first place if the pound was over, say, USD1.75.

You probably won't notice much difference I don't think on wine prices as it's the changes to the advertised shorts and mixers that have increased the most.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our American cousins may not post their thoughts on here or on Facebook, but the eight that we had as dining companions on our recent voyage certainly brought the subject up at dinner and said they were cutting back their consumption !

Our American cousins may not post their thoughts on here or on Facebook, but the eight that we had as dining companions on our recent voyage certainly brought the subject up at dinner and said they were cutting back their consumption !

Probably just as well that they did. Can't hold their liquor anyway.

This "American cousin" is also keeping his mouth shut because he's on the favorable side of the GBP-USD exchange rate, and would never be able to afford to make the trip in the first place if the pound was over, say, USD1.75.

But the drinks are priced in dollars, so the exchange rate has zero effect on the prices on the ship to you.

But the drinks are priced in dollars, so the exchange rate has zero effect on the prices on the ship to you.

Sorry, my post could have been clearer. I would not be able to afford to go on the cruise and then spend a week in England before flying home, which means that I would not have taken the cruise at all (a TA followed immediately by a coach trip to Heathrow to fly home is not appealing to me).

Sorry, my post could have been clearer. I would not be able to afford to go on the cruise and then spend a week in England before flying home, which means that I would not have taken the cruise at all (a TA followed immediately by a coach trip to Heathrow to fly home is not appealing to me).

Oh, I see. Yes, that's very true. The last time we were on Cunard it was around June 2014 and the rate was around $1.70/£. And the last time we were in the US was about June 2015 and then the rate was $1.50/£ (roughly). Now its' $1.30.

We need to go back the 1920s/30s, when it was around $4.50/£ ! :D

There's some interesting comments on this thread that run along the lines of "if you can't afford it then don't go / find another cruise company". Well, in my case, yes, I can afford it. But that does not mean I'm now willing to pay it. It's like everything in life; it's not the absolute figure that the problem, it's the value for money that you think you are getting. So on previous Cunard cruises I've been happy with my view of value for money; but now I'm not (i.e. drinks prices and food quality).

I actually had an email today from the people we went with 2 weeks ago; one of their comments was they want to book another cruise, but are now looking at other cruise companies. So will people vote with their wallet ? Well I know 4 so far.

I'm more annoyed with the underhand way they have gone about it, slipped in via the back door, website still showing now out of date measure sizes and prices....we aren't great drinkers these days (long gone are the days we spent our $900 OBC in three days) but still have a few of an evening so it will have an impact on our spending...someone mentioned cutting back on the gratuities and we might well do that as a protest on our upcoming cruise and when they ask why at the pursers desk we will tell them! I know it might not be fair on the staff but the increases in prices and decreases in measures are not that fair on passengers...I see Cunard have still not responded over on Facebook!