Over 5 years since last RCCL cruise. What has changed?

Scottee25

My last RCCL Cruise was in early 2011. Have only had one cruise since then; a Carnival cruise in late 2012. So it's been some time since my last cruise. I know some things change and others don't. RCCL's website still appears to iffy in the User Experience area (I develop websites for a living so I have some experience here :) ). So what I would really like to learn is what has changed with RCCL in the past 5+ years?

My girlfriend and I just moved to Houston so we have access to the Port of Galveston. Since she has never been on a cruise and wants to try it, we looking to book cruises for my birthday (April '17, Liberty out of Galveston) and her 40th birthday (January '18, Jewel out of San Juan). I have read as much as I can both here and on RCCL's site and I still have some questions...

1) I see on their website about a best price guarantee where if the price goes down within 48 hours of booking, I can get an OBC of 110% of the difference. However, I don't find anything regarding the price going down after 48 hours. I know in the past that you could call RCCL and they would reduce the price for you. Is that still the case? Or are you locked into the price after the 48 hour period?

2) Back during my last cruise, Chops and Portofinos was $20 per person. It looks like Portofinos is being transitioned out for a new Italian restaurant when the ships go through their refabs? Also, the price of Chops has increased to $35 per person now?

3) Also, back before my last cruise, the RCCL website used to have a flashing marker on the floorplans when selecting a room. Seems like that doesn't exist anymore? They also used to allow you to specify a room number and the site would tell you if that room was available. That's been removed too? Is there any benefit in calling into their toll free number to inquire about room availability or has the site been changed to a pretty much what you see if what you get for room availability?

Anything else you can think of that has changed majorly in the past 5 years that I may be overlooking? Thank you!

You are allowed 2 X 750ml bottles of wine per cabin and there are no corkage fees anywhere on the ship.

Gratuities unless paid in advance are added to your Seapass account daily...no more envelopes at the end of the week.

After final payment there is no refunds or OBC if the fare drops...only the possibility of an upgrade. Before final payment you can usually get the lower price.

Try the Royal UK site to see availability of up to 50 cabins, then call Royal US to book the cabin that you want.

https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Creation of different classes of cruisers dependent on suite type determines perks.

Luggage valet (best one yet)

No more chocolates.

Only one person if they want in cabin can buy booze package, not all like before. (sharing not allowed)

Thats a coupe to start.

Safe travels

Edited by Lionesss

Drink prices have increases a bit and the packages have changed a few times over the last few years as well. So if you and the lady and are into that check out the different packages to decide of they're for you or not. I don't have all the info off hand but there's usually a whole lot of repeat threads on page 1 or 2 so just have a quick look. Also, just go to RC's website to get caught up a bit.

Thanks for the information. I did read about now being able to bring on 2 750ml bottles of wine per room. That was good to know. I also did read that smoking had been banned from the balconies.

The UK Site did flash which room was selected but it didn't list any other rooms than those in the US site. In today's day and age it is disappointing that RCCL's website is so mediocre.

So what is a Luggage Valet?

Thanks for the information. I did read about now being able to bring on 2 750ml bottles of wine per room. That was good to know. I also did read that smoking had been banned from the balconies.

The UK Site did flash which room was selected but it didn't list any other rooms than those in the US site. In today's day and age it is disappointing that RCCL's website is so mediocre.

So what is a Luggage Valet?

If the U.K. site did not list more rooms than the US site then that's all the rooms that are remaining. The US site maxes out at 15 rooms while the UK site maxes out in showing 50 rooms (if they are available). Totally agree about the disappointing website comment.

Luggage valet is available only at select ports, for certain airlines flying after a certain time (around 11 am or later). Pay one fee and your bags are picked up outside your room and checked in on your flight.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Luggage valet is available only at select ports, for certain airlines flying after a certain time (around 11 am or later). Pay one fee and your bags are picked up outside your room and checked in on your flight.

I can see where that would be a nice perk. Won't have to use it in Galveston. How can you find out which ports it's available at and how much does it cost?

The food on the Liberty is fantastic. Especially Chops. And both the Liberty and the Jewel have awesome itineraries. You can't really go wrong with either one.

I have been on the Liberty before. Glad to hear the food is still good. I have not been on the Jewel yet but have been on the Brilliance and the Serenade in the past. The Radiance class is actually my favorite. All the ports on the Liberty will be new to both of us. We are excited about both.