Toddler in David's

Ktrumbies

As the mom of a toddler who is 2 years old, I personally would not want to take him to the steak house. he won't sit still, he's into everything and honestly, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Also, there are the other cruisers to think about. it's nice that you'd want to include him in the experience, but maybe think about getting the baby sitting service so you can enjoy a romantic dinner with your SO. your baby will never know or remember. why take a chance of interrupting the experience for other cruisers who are paying the up charge for the service?

now, the MDR is different! take that kid to the MDR, let him/ her be waited on hand and foot. it is your kid's vacation too! I just don't think the steakhouse setting is the place for kiddo to be. my opinion of course, so you can take it or leave it. just think about the other couples/ celebrations/ honeymoons/ anniversary dinners that could be interrupted. people are paying the upcharge for a reason.

Toddlers are allowed in the steakhouse as far as I know so I wouldnt let any anonymous person on a message forum tell me what or what not to do. I WOULD have enough sense and respect for my fellow cruise guests to remove the child if he got fussy though. It can be a long drawn out meal. Just know that going in. You may enjoy it much more if you hire a babysitter for a few hours.

Edited by ryano

At home would you take your child to an upscale white table restaurant where the meal can take several hours?

If yes, then go for it!

If no, then you have your answer!

When my son was about that age we had to live in a hotel in NYC for a while during a corporate job move.

I remember taking my son to an upscale restaurant there before the age of i-pads etc. I had to work very hard to keep him quiet and busy during dinner!(and he was a really good 2 year old)

Up to you how you'd prefer to handle this.

Edited by riffatsea

If you do, please take him out the second he starts being loud. The other patrons aren't paying to have a nice dinner ruined by a two year old. And too many parents just let the child fuss and think it isn't anyone else's problem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

And don't forget the parents who play with the young ones to make them giggle:D I guess they figure if the child isn't crying, that it's okay.

We have a toddler who will be 19 months when we sail in November. Can we take him to David's with us, or is this a really horrible thing to do? We would go early...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there

As was said, it's your call. Have you done this in an upscale restaurant at home? Think about two years ago, the two of you planned to go to this nice, intimate (expensive) restaurant, to celebrate some special occasion and a nice couple walked in with a beautiful 19 month old baby. How would you have felt?

My real question is why would you want to go? If you just want to try the food, you can order the entrees in the MDR.

just a thought

have a great cruise

We have a toddler who will be 19 months when we sail in November. Can we take him to David's with us, or is this a really horrible thing to do? We would go early...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes he can go to David's. There is no policy preventing it.

No, it is by no means a horrible thing.

As you can tell by the responses you are getting, you will be judged 9 ways to Sunday. Especially if he gets fidgety or fussy. I have seen toddlers in many dining rooms well above the level of a Carnival Cruise Line steakhouse (basically a Ruth Chris). Some have been very quiet and happy. Some not. Just part of life. Personally, we would have no issue sitting next to you, even if he got fussy. Which is about as relevant as the people saying they would be bothered by it.

If YOU decide not to take him, they do offer baby sitting services provided by the youth staff (I believe for a fee), and I think there are certain times that toddlers can go to Camp Carnival. Thought that may have changed. It's been 22 years since we had a toddler.

You make the call, and don't worry about others. I would not have a problem sitting next to you.

OP should totally worry about others. They should worry if their child will disrupt others. Being a parent doesn't give you blanket rights to take your child everywhere and let it ruin other's time.

OP should totally worry about others. They should worry if their child will disrupt others. Being a parent doesn't give you blanket rights to take your child everywhere and let it ruin other's time.

Yes, I have to agree with this. One hopes their child will behave and sit still for a nice long intimate dining experience - but probably not. And most parents have listened to their child for the 19 months he/she has been alive so they become somewhat immune to noises that might be a real downer to other diners. Even something as "cute" as playing with a spoon, banging it against the table could change the nature of an intimate dinner "date" to a couple at the next table...

As the mom of a toddler who is 2 years old, I personally would not want to take him to the steak house. he won't sit still, he's into everything and honestly, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Also, there are the other cruisers to think about. it's nice that you'd want to include him in the experience, but maybe think about getting the baby sitting service so you can enjoy a romantic dinner with your SO. your baby will never know or remember. why take a chance of interrupting the experience for other cruisers who are paying the up charge for the service?

now, the MDR is different! take that kid to the MDR, let him/ her be waited on hand and foot. it is your kid's vacation too! I just don't think the steakhouse setting is the place for kiddo to be. my opinion of course, so you can take it or leave it. just think about the other couples/ celebrations/ honeymoons/ anniversary dinners that could be interrupted. people are paying the upcharge for a reason.

Couldn't agree more with your comments.

Enjoy your evening and enjoy your cruise, after all this is your vacation.

Certainly, enjoy your vacation, but respect the wishes and rights of others. If a young child gets bored, as they do have the right to do so at their age, and become fussy, not only will he spoil your dinner, but he will also affect the dinners of other individuals.

Hi there

As was said, it's your call. Have you done this in an upscale restaurant at home? Think about two years ago, the two of you planned to go to this nice, intimate (expensive) restaurant, to celebrate some special occasion and a nice couple walked in with a beautiful 19 month old baby. How would you have felt?

My real question is why would you want to go? If you just want to try the food, you can order the entrees in the MDR.

just a thought

have a great cruise

Why would you want to go? why does anyone want to go.. Do you ask everyone why they want to go to the steakhouse?

Enjoy your evening and enjoy your cruise, after all this is your vacation.

Along with roughly 3000 other people. It is their vacation too. So yes they should enjoy their vacation, and they should enjoy the steakhouse with their bundle of joy. If the bundle of joy turns into the Devils Spawn (not implying the OPs snowflake is the spawn, but we all know there are some of them that exist). It is up to the parents of the little beast to have their nights interrupted and inconvenienced, not the fellow diners (Some parents don't realize this)

Edited by First and Ten

Being a parent also doesn't mean that we have to be scorned everywhere we go, we paid for the cruise just like everyone else on board, and it's a carnival cruise not a Viking cruise, so I was just looking to see if people had taken a child before. I called the cruise line and they said they have a kids menu there and high chairs, and that children were welcome. Of course we would take our son out if he was going nuts. He is our 4 th kid so this is not our first rodeo. We've been on several cruises and on other cruises if the dining venue was for adults only, it normally was made very clear. This was not the case with David's, which is why I asked the question. The other cruises we've been on, have also had childcare for toddlers which carnival doesn't. Hopefully we will get some family members to join us, and they can help us out, if not will just see what his behavior is like. Hopefully we can get him to fall asleep in his stroller and just bring him in sleeping. Thanks for all the answers, and please don't be so mean to us parents we want to have a good time too.

Edited by Ktrumbies