Toddler in David's

Ktrumbies

Not overthinking but merely asking for an elaboration

Had also replied earlier that OP had asked and received opinions as well as how I felt about the subject and it was a simple answer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Herfnerd

Some advice in case the OP might actually still be reading.

Book for the earliest meal. Stop by the steak house during the day and talk to the staff (they are there getting things ready) even though it's closed. Let them know your bringing your kiddo and ask what table you've been assigned. Take a look (Is it close to the door in case you need to leave? Is it a bit more in a corner, so your more away from other guests? If your little one decides to sit on the floor next to your table will people be tripping over them?) If your table isn't well situated ask to be moved. I'm sure the staff will work with you.

Before anyone gets uppity about kids on the floor, my DD will happily sit next to our table and play w her toys. Sit in the chair? No way!, on the floor? No problem. We choose our tables now with a space next to it for WHEN she decides she wants to get out of her chair. Is she loud? Nope, she just needs to move to a new space.

Other tips...

-Bring crayons and a book (The MDR has these so grab on the night before or go to the camp and ask them)

-Bring a few toys. Maybe buy a couple special new toys to break out just for that dinner.

-While your visiting the steak house to check out the table give the Menu a review. Know what you are going to order so that you can skip the first few minutes of "pointless" waiting and move right to ordering.

-Also check out the desert menu and order that "to go" at the same time you order dinner. That way if your Little starts getting fussy you are bit more prepped to leave quickly at the end. Besides enjoying desert later on the balcony once the kiddo is asleep can be lovely.

-We've visited several formal restaurants when our kid was little. We would take turns entertaining her while we waited for food. This even meant sometimes one of us would get up and take her for a 10 minute walk and come back once the next course had arrived. Eat and the next person would take her out. (This is why getting a table close to the door was important for us.) Better to take the kiddo out for a few minutes to play than try to make her sit nicely.

-Lastly... If you have time practice at home with a table cloth and napkins. That way they will know not to pull the table cloth, and it will be less of a novelty.

Have a great trip!

Carnival allows children in the steakhouse, and they even have a kids menu, so you need to contact carnival and complain that they allow children in the steakhouse. Second, the carnival steakhouse is not ruth chris or Flemings, it is how food on cruise ships used to be served in the MDR. No way does the steakhouse on carnival come close to an upscale rest. Third, since carnival allows children in the steakhouse and has a separate menu for them, why would you not expect children to be there?

Your comments have nothing to do with the question that was asked. And I would indeed asked to be moved. I have that right, as well. I guess I didn't sail in the days that the meals in the steakhouse were served in the MDR, and I beg to differ - it is very much like an upscale steakhouse. I've been to both of the examples I listed.

But I respect your opinion.

Some advice in case the OP might actually still be reading.

Book for the earliest meal. Stop by the steak house during the day and talk to the staff (they are there getting things ready) even though it's closed. Let them know your bringing your kiddo and ask what table you've been assigned. Take a look (Is it close to the door in case you need to leave? Is it a bit more in a corner, so your more away from other guests? If your little one decides to sit on the floor next to your table will people be tripping over them?) If your table isn't well situated ask to be moved. I'm sure the staff will work with you.

Before anyone gets uppity about kids on the floor, my DD will happily sit next to our table and play w her toys. Sit in the chair? No way!, on the floor? No problem. We choose our tables now with a space next to it for WHEN she decides she wants to get out of her chair. Is she loud? Nope, she just needs to move to a new space.

Other tips...

-Bring crayons and a book (The MDR has these so grab on the night before or go to the camp and ask them)

-Bring a few toys. Maybe buy a couple special new toys to break out just for that dinner.

-While your visiting the steak house to check out the table give the Menu a review. Know what you are going to order so that you can skip the first few minutes of "pointless" waiting and move right to ordering.

-Also check out the desert menu and order that "to go" at the same time you order dinner. That way if your Little starts getting fussy you are bit more prepped to leave quickly at the end. Besides enjoying desert later on the balcony once the kiddo is asleep can be lovely.

-We've visited several formal restaurants when our kid was little. We would take turns entertaining her while we waited for food. This even meant sometimes one of us would get up and take her for a 10 minute walk and come back once the next course had arrived. Eat and the next person would take her out. (This is why getting a table close to the door was important for us.) Better to take the kiddo out for a few minutes to play than try to make her sit nicely.

-Lastly... If you have time practice at home with a table cloth and napkins. That way they will know not to pull the table cloth, and it will be less of a novelty.

Have a great trip!

The world needs more parents like you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I can see you being on of the parents that just sits there, repeatedly telling their child to be quiet. The child never listening, and you looking angrily as the people around you are bothered. "There is a kid's menu! My kid can be here and ruin everyone else's meal!"

Again, OP asked for an opinion, and has recieved one. Repeatedly. This isn't a matter of the steakhouse allowing kids or not. It is instead a should a parent bring a 18 month old to a meal that takes upwards of two hours. And the responding opinion is, while a lot of parents wouldn't, they don't care if OP does as long as OP doesn't let their kid sit there and be disruptive. Kid becomes disruptive, it is time to go.

Wrong again, my wife and I don't have children. I just believe that parents with toddlers and children can enjoy everything offered from Carnival. The majority of parents would remove their child if they were disruptive.

Wrong again, my wife and I don't have children. I just believe that parents with toddlers and children can enjoy everything offered from Carnival. The majority of parents would remove their child if they were disruptive.

Well shoot. You put me in my place. Little did I know a hypothetical could be right or wrong...

If you do, please take him out the second he starts being loud. The other patrons aren't paying to have a nice dinner ruined by a two year old. And too many parents just let the child fuss and think it isn't anyone else's problem.

That is because parents' ears are set for a much higher decibel alert than the rest of us and I am agreeing with you...

I'm a little perplexed aboit the post that stated "it's a Carnival Cruise, not a Viking cruise". So just because it's Carnival means it's ok?

Carnival ships are family oriented, while Viking cruises are adult only, that's what I meant by it.

Edited by Ktrumbies

Being a parent also doesn't mean that we have to be scorned everywhere we go, we paid for the cruise just like everyone else on board, and it's a carnival cruise not a Viking cruise, so I was just looking to see if people had taken a child before. I called the cruise line and they said they have a kids menu there and high chairs, and that children were welcome. Of course we would take our son out if he was going nuts. He is our 4 th kid so this is not our first rodeo. We've been on several cruises and on other cruises if the dining venue was for adults only, it normally was made very clear. This was not the case with David's, which is why I asked the question. The other cruises we've been on, have also had childcare for toddlers which carnival doesn't. Hopefully we will get some family members to join us, and they can help us out, if not will just see what his behavior is like. Hopefully we can get him to fall asleep in his stroller and just bring him in sleeping. Thanks for all the answers, and please don't be so mean to us parents we want to have a good time too.

Why do you come here to ask opinions, then act shocked at the people who don't like the idea of kids in the steakhouse? I have kids, but I think that allowing kids in the steakhouse was a big mistake. Parents need a night WITHOUT kids and most kids don't want to sit still for 2-2 1/2 hours. Why take kids and potentially ruin another couples romantic night? There are plenty of spaces aboard the ships for families and there needs to be one for adults.

I would take him if I was you, if he gets fussy I am sure you will take him out. Carnival allows kids to eat there, if people disagree then they should be mad at Carnival or cruise a different line. Carnival is a "FAMILY cruise line".

I have eaten at Davids sitting next to toddlers and never had a problem. I have had many problems with adults. It is usually the wine drinkers who get so loud the whole place can hear their conversation, and then the loud obnoxious cackling laughter that comes from them. I have had to tell many adults to keep it down, they might argue until I stand up and then they usually quiet down. Drunk adults with no volume control is far worse in Davids than toddlers.

It's not the 98% of parents who would take a disruptive child out it's the 2% who let that child wail on and on without regard to others..it's not cute..it's annoying..especially in a venue where you PAY.

Yea, I ain't going as high as 98% :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

I would take him if I was you, if he gets fussy I am sure you will take him out. Carnival allows kids to eat there, if people disagree then they should be mad at Carnival or cruise a different line. Carnival is a "FAMILY cruise line".

I have eaten at Davids sitting next to toddlers and never had a problem. I have had many problems with adults. It is usually the wine drinkers who get so loud the whole place can hear their conversation, and then the loud obnoxious cackling laughter that comes from them. I have had to tell many adults to keep it down, they might argue until I stand up and then they usually quiet down. Drunk adults with no volume control is far worse in Davids than toddlers.

How are you so sure how OP will act? Do you know them?

We've taken our son to various pay restaurants including the steakhouse since he was 7 years old. We have taken him to equally nice restaurants on land as he likes good food beyond chicken fingers.

2 cruises ago my 8 year at the time was eating in the steakhouse on the Pride. It was just he and I this trip and we were chatting about the day and enjoying our meal when a couple walked in. They were seated about 15 feet away. AFter placing their orders the man of the group literally turned his chair around and glared at me the entire time we finished eating and ordering dessert. Luckily ,y son has his back to this rude stranger so he never noticed. The man was obsessed with a kid in the restaurant and was just waiting and hoping he'd exhibit poor behavior. His poor wife came over and apologized and praised my son for being such a good boy and good eater.

It was truly an odd experience but luckily I don't intimidate easily. That jerk ruined his own meal not mine.

We have a toddler who will be 19 months when we sail in November. Can we take him to David's with us, or is this a really horrible thing to do? We would go early...

We waited until our youngest was 12 before we even took a cruise. We wanted all of us to enjoy it....not just pay a couple thousand to babysit them in a different location.

So since you asked...it sounds horrible for all concerned. You, the kid, the other cruisers and the wait staff.

Why not just skip the steakhouse and use that money for a nice local dinner a couple weeks after your cruise when you can get a babysitter and really enjoy the dinner with no worries.

But then, that is my take, I would rather eat in the MDR, save the cash, and go to a local Brazilian steakhouse a couple months later.

JMHO but I agree that I think the OP was just looking for validation in their (unspoken) decision. If I am incorrect, I apologize.

Asking for an opinion and having more against than for the decision is what is causing some ruffled feathers by some in this post.

I've already posted that if they feel their 19 month old can handle a prolonged dinner, than go for it. One, maybe two of my three kids could have possibly handled it at that age, but I wouldn't have brought them anyway - that's just my decision.

Either way, hope they have a good cruise.....

The cruise line has already determined it's more beneficial to allow children. As I stated if it impacted them with a loss of bookings or money they would change it. Per jh own post, they apparently don't get a ton of complaints so for their business it doesn't hurt them to allow children.

Losing a few people is no big deal compared to the amount of families that travel together and want to dine as a family.

I've never seen the SH full, and now this is stirred up (I realize the people commenting on his FB page are a very small sample). We'll see how this all plays out.

Actually, this plays right into Carnival's hand. They don't give a crap about the experience of the steakhouse. They just want more mouths in there to feed.

They would rather have a family of three or more in there paying money than worry about if their kid ruins the evening for other paying customers.

Not saying all kids are going to do this, but why would Carnival turn down money worrying about other cruisers feelings?

Maybe there could be select Adult Only seatings in the Steakhouse throughout the cruise and then the other seatings can be for whoever. You'd think something like that would appease everyone.

Actually, this plays right into Carnival's hand. They don't give a crap about the experience of the steakhouse. They just want more mouths in there to feed.

They would rather have a family of three or more in there paying money than worry about if their kid ruins the evening for other paying customers.

Not saying all kids are going to do this, but why would Carnival turn down money worrying about other cruisers feelings?

Maybe there could be select Adult Only seatings in the Steakhouse throughout the cruise and then the other seatings can be for whoever. You'd think something like that would appease everyone.

This is actually not a bad idea (adult-only nights or hours). The cost for a kid, however, is $10.00, adults $35.00

Edited by VASOXFANN

I've never seen the SH full, and now this is stirred up (I realize the people commenting on his FB page are a very small sample). We'll see how this all plays out.

Oh...I need to play now....I've questioned how full the SH gets/is when making reservations..and the few times we've taken the chance to go to the SH without making reservations....only to be told no, they are "booked", yet empty tables abound, but of course those are for guests coming later.

On our last cruise, we had SH reservations, we "took a chance" and went about a half hour prior to our reservations, were told can't seat you until then, we're booked, yet again, empty tables abound. So, we came back at our assigned reservation time, were seated amongst those empty tables, which stayed empty during our entire meal.

I joined a discussion on here shortly after that, people were asking similar questions, why the SH never seems "packed"...tables regularly remain empty, yet reservations were not easy to get. I was informed by the cruising experts right here on this site the ONLY reason tables are empty in the steakhouse is because they don't have the staff to serve but only a relative few guests, with the length of time the dinner takes, they could not deliver if more guests were served.

Oh and fwiw related to this bringing kids in to the SH and the loooooonnng time the "experience" takes, we've gone to the SH...including Davids numerous times, and here and there, when we'll ask them to "speed it up" if possible, which it usually has been at Davids....I think they can because I've never seen it close to full.

This is a very good idea. One of the resorts we frequent every couple of years has a program where children eat at a reduced price and must be seated by 6:00 pm. They make it clear that service is moved along and families must be out by 7:00 pm. They reserve the right to seat families in a "special area" (i.e. In an area away from the romantic fireplace and window views). They also make it abundantly clear that disruptive children will not even be given a warning, the food will be boxed and family sent packing. These policies are clearly stated in the web site and when people call to book. They are enforced.

For families with kids who can dine without being disruptive, it's a great opportunity to enjoy fine dining, and ensures that adults dining later will do so without being disturbed.

By the way, they also have a strict no cell phone policy (phones must be off or on vibrate and calls must be taken outside if at all) and they also have a written policy on adults not being disruptive. We have seen them send a couple families packing, as well as a jerk from someplace around NYC based on the accent who refused to get off the phone or step outside, and was loud and obnoxious even before that. They cancelled his table's order and kicked them out. It's really nice to patronize a place that sets policies--and strictly enforces them.

This is a very good idea. One of the resorts we frequent every couple of years has a program where children eat at a reduced price and must be seated by 6:00 pm. They make it clear that service is moved along and families must be out by 7:00 pm. They reserve the right to seat families in a "special area" (i.e. In an area away from the romantic fireplace and window views). They also make it abundantly clear that disruptive children will not even be given a warning, the food will be boxed and family sent packing. These policies are clearly stated in the web site and when people call to book. They are enforced.

For families with kids who can dine without being disruptive, it's a great opportunity to enjoy fine dining, and ensures that adults dining later will do so without being disturbed.

By the way, they also have a strict no cell phone policy (phones must be off or on vibrate and calls must be taken outside if at all) and they also have a written policy on adults not being disruptive. We have seen them send a couple families packing, as well as a jerk from someplace around NYC based on the accent who refused to get off the phone or step outside, and was loud and obnoxious even before that. They cancelled his table's order and kicked them out. It's really nice to patronize a place that sets policies--and strictly enforces them.

unfortunately that's not carnival's forte. :(