New *Breed* of CHOGS

Merion_Mom

They aren't new. :rolleyes:

I saw one of these CHOGS on my first RC cruise WAAAAAYYYYY back in 1995 :eek: I don't know if it was called Centrum back then, but there was a big staircase on Sovereign, and I think there was a piano player. Anywho, an old man picked up the camera bag she was using to save the seats, then threw it at her :eek::eek:

Edited by VASOXFANN

I've taken to sitting down anyway, while offering; "I will happily give up the seat when your party arrives".

Perfect answer - I had not thought about that response. However I also can imagine the dagger looks and cold waves during the show which would rather spoil it.

I love CHOGS! I tick them off every time as I say excuse me and sit down. Saving a couple of seats for the spouse and kiddos that's cool. But a whole row in a prime location. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ON MY WATCH. I came 30 minutes early just like you to get a great seat. Your whole 20 member party should have came 30 minutes early too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I agree with what you say here. There have been a number of times on cruises where my wife will send me to get seats while she stops at the restroom or a shop on the way. There have also been times when she'll save a seat for me while I run to the Promenade to get cookies or something. We'd only do this for a few minutes (I can barely sit still for a few minutes, surely not 40, while waiting).

I don't see this as a big issue. You could also make a case saying if you want good seats show up on time (or early). Or, sit somewhere else, or stand.

That said, a single or a couple of people saving an entire row in the theater is kind of over the top.

I also think if you are rude enough to take (or attempt) to take a chair from someone who says it's occupied (or make condescending jokes like toilet seat covers), that makes you as rude as the person you already don't like. When our kids were little, we never let "She did it first..." be a good enough excuse.

When did it become OK to be rude to someone just because your opinion of what they are doing it rude?

Tom

Not sure if someone sitting down but holding a chair for someone in their party really counts as chair hog. You have no idea what may have delayed the "missing" person (I.e. Bathroom,elevator, sick, changing, whatever). In that situation I don't consider it rude or disrespectful to other passengers. Now if it's one person holding a whole row...this might be a bit different but I'm torn. Is it just smart planning to have one person from the party grab seats while the rest come a bit later or should they wait for the entire party then possible be separated and unable to enjoy their time together? I think I get more upset at the ones that drop their stuff on chairs to hold them all day yet really only use the chairs once or very few times. That is more a chair hog. While I don't discount anyone feeling slighted over an open seat being held with no one in it yet, consider as I mentioned that you don't know if that person just stepped away or is just slower getting to the seat than their partner in "crime" Me I'll just find another seat, stand or leave, not worth getting upset over. although if after 40 min I notice no one shows up I would end up irritated too and I might just sit down anyway and offer to leave when/if the other person arrives.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yeah, this happens at all parades. We've actually had people ask us to move back so they could stand in front of us.

Also, assuming old people without kids don't want to see the parade is kind of dumb. I love that stuff. Why else would they be standing or sitting there if they didn't want to see the parade? Someone jumping in front of us with a kid on their shoulders is kind of rude as well.

Tom

My beef is showing up early to have a good spot for the DreamWorks parade. kids are sitting on the floor. And then latecomers arrive and stand in front of them, blocking your view.

People who save seats in the Centrum for the singers' performance.

She is saving two chairs. No one has sat in them in the past 20 minutes. But she won't let me have a chair.

On Anthem, I got "Sorry, this entire row is being saved for our group"

There was no place else to sit.

My response? "Sorry, we're sitting here, you can't reserve seats, we got here before your group did" and we heard a boat load of mutterings from their group from "pennsylvania." We enjoyed the show! Gotta burn down the CHOGS at shows, just tell them to shut up and take a seat.

Yes, I totally agree. If one of us had to visit the facilities or something....I am really talking about someone that saves multiple seats. I remember years ago, one family member sat at an end seat of a row and another member sat at the other end seat. They were saving the whole row and never allowed anyone in. :eek: We watched this for about 20 minutes. No confrontations....but are you "allowed" to do this??? Seems really wrong to me.

Nope. They're not allowed to do that at all. Just move in, sit in the center of the row they're hogging for folk who can't show up before you. What can they do? Nothing. Enjoy the show.

Edited by johnjen

My beef is showing up early to have a good spot for the DreamWorks parade. kids are sitting on the floor. And then latecomers arrive and stand in front of them, blocking your view.

I always tell them that the back of the line, so to speak, is thatta way, and direct them away from the front.

Are they really going to be confrontational in front of so many people they are affecting. I doubt it.

What we do as a family is get to our seats, sit for a few minutes to show that we are in fact, sitting as a family in said seats, THEN if someone needs to use the bathroom, etc they go at that time.

This way, people see what we all came together and are actually using the seats, not just "holding" them.

Every year or two I pull out this old classic of mine. 100% true story.

I did that. A woman was sitting in the middle of a row telling everyone that the whole row was "saved", so I sat down and said thanks for saving it for me.

She said she was going to go get security and have me thrown out. I invited her to do so and assumed she'd get the same response as I would've got for complaining about her... nothing.

About 20 minutes later, she was still alone. A couple was looking for 2 seats and I told them the seats next to us were free, so they sat down. She came down and told them to leave or she'd call security on them. They started to stand up and I said "Really? You caved like that? You're not allowed to send someone down and save an entire row, so she's in the wrong. Enjoy your seat." The wife laughed and they sat back down.

The woman abandoned the row at that point.

THEN WE ALL GOT HAULED TO THE BRIG BY SECURITY AND THE CAPTAIN SCOLDED US SEVERELY. WE RECEIVED 20 LASHES AND HAD TO WALK THE PLANK!

Right... nothing happened.

People who save seats in the Centrum for the singers' performance.

She is saving two chairs. No one has sat in them in the past 20 minutes. But she won't let me have a chair.

You would have been nice and comfortable sitting in one of those two chairs.....K.O.:)

Yes, I totally agree. If one of us had to visit the facilities or something....I am really talking about someone that saves multiple seats. I remember years ago, one family member sat at an end seat of a row and another member sat at the other end seat. They were saving the whole row and never allowed anyone in. :eek: We watched this for about 20 minutes. No confrontations....but are you "allowed" to do this??? Seems really wrong to me.
and I would have been nice and comfy waiting for the show in the middle of that row.....never let anyones ignorance stop you from sitting in unoccupied seats, let alone a whole row.....K.O. Edited by Thetrail

I agree with what you say here. There have been a number of times on cruises where my wife will send me to get seats while she stops at the restroom or a shop on the way. There have also been times when she'll save a seat for me while I run to the Promenade to get cookies or something. We'd only do this for a few minutes (I can barely sit still for a few minutes, surely not 40, while waiting).

I don't see this as a big issue. You could also make a case saying if you want good seats show up on time (or early). Or, sit somewhere else, or stand.

That said, a single or a couple of people saving an entire row in the theater is kind of over the top.

I also think if you are rude enough to take (or attempt) to take a chair from someone who says it's occupied (or make condescending jokes like toilet seat covers), that makes you as rude as the person you already don't like. When our kids were little, we never let "She did it first..." be a good enough excuse.

When did it become OK to be rude to someone just because your opinion of what they are doing it rude?

Tom

If someone is trying to save a whole row of sweats it's ignorant and rude, plain and simple. I f you told me you were saving a whole row of seats I would give you my best smirk and sit in the seats anyway!....K.O.:rolleyes:

"Sweats?"

What is a K.O...?

It is your prerogative to return rude with rude. In my opinion that makes you rude as well, but ... it is your choice.

:)

Tom

If someone is trying to save a whole row of sweats it's ignorant and rude, plain and simple. I f you told me you were saving a whole row of seats I would give you my best smirk and sit in the seats anyway!....K.O.:rolleyes:

Christmas Eve 2004 aboard Holland Americas Volendam

Formal night, everyone all dressed up, they had saved the first row balcony seats (maybe 12-16 seats) for kids from the Kids Club

About 10 mins or so before show time they bring in the kids all dressed up, maybe from 5-10 years old seat them and we're ready for the show. The little ones were absolutely just as cute as you could ever hope to see.

About 5 mins before show time down the aisle come two couples, very nicely dressed, well into retirement age. They proceeded to tell 4 of the kids to double up so they could have their seats.

People who noticed started muttering, one couple clearly embarrassed turned and skulked away The other couple persisted, moved 2 kids out of their seats sat down and settled in.

I went to one of the chaperones and asked her to do something about this as frankly it was just wrong, no other word for it but just plain wrong.

The chaperone shrugged her shoulders and told me there was nothing she could do about it.

To this day I regret not asking the couple to come back and ask me and my wife to give up our seats for them. There would have been quite the show had they the gall to do that.

Haven't been back to Holland America

Edited by WpgCruise

I feel you can't save more seats then you have members of your party that are there. IE, 1 person can save 1 seat, 2 people can save 2, etc. I liked the other idea of sitting down first as a whole party, then leaving in ones and twos for the bathroom/drinks/snacks/etc.

I'd love to go to the theatre just to see a single flip flop on a seat though...

"Sweats?"

What is a K.O...?

It is your prerogative to return rude with rude. In my opinion that makes you rude as well, but ... it is your choice.

:)

Tom

How is it rude to point out that they are, in fact, violating the rules? Especially since the crew doesn't seem likely to intervene?

This happened to us on the Grandeur waiting to see the aerial show. We were seated in seats that were not right up at the railing. People came and stood in front of us. They were either completely oblivious, or just didn't care, that we couldn't see a thing.

On Anthem, I got "Sorry, this entire row is being saved for our group"

There was no place else to sit.

My response? "Sorry, we're sitting here, you can't reserve seats, we got here before your group did" and we heard a boat load of mutterings from their group from "pennsylvania." We enjoyed the show! Gotta burn down the CHOGS at shows, just tell them to shut up and take a seat.

Hey, I resemble that remark.:D

A sudden gastrointestinal disturbance properly placed sometimes resolves things in my favor....or makes it fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh sure but what about the innocent people who had nothing to do with the situation? Now that is the definition of rude.

Some pig tried this last night at the ice show on oasis. She was trying to save 8 seats. she said these seats are reserved when we tried going down the row. we just walked around miss piggy and sat down. I think the rest of her party did not have reservations for the show and she was trying to reserve the seats for them when they let those without reservation in.