Bringing prescription drugs on board- T3s

DreamingOfWater

I'll be going on a 7 night Alaskan cruise in May and occasionally suffer extreme knee pain. Usually Alieve helps but sometimes I'm near paralyzed with pain so my doctor gave me Tylenol 3 to combat the worst of it. Changes in the weather seem to trigger it and I want to take a couple with me in the event I'm in tears and bedridden by an episode. Do I need a doctor's note or will it be okay if I just keep the pills in the original bottle? I'll be disembarking from Vancouver, BC if it makes a difference.

If you have a written prescription for Tylenol 3 or if there is a pharmacy prescription label on the container, that should suffice. Otherwise a doctor's note with the same information as a prescription would be wise. It is unlikely you would ever have to produce it, but better safe than sorry.

The general standard (worldwide) is that you should carry prescription drugs in their original container...that would have the script info....including the name of the patient. There are a few situations around the world where a legal drug in one country is illegal in another....and those are dicey situations. But not an issue with Alaska.

One interesting tidbit is that Sudafed, which is available at any pharmacy in the USA without a script....is illegal in Mexico. And there are many other similar situations.

Hank

I always carry a doctor's note & copy of my scripts when I travel - in part because some of my meds are S8s (restricted/controlled drugs), in part just because I figure if I'm unfortunate enough to lose or have meds stolen, having a note and script on hand will make it easier to get things replaced. (Of course the script isn't going to be valid outside Australia - but I carry it as additional documentation regarding dosage, frequency, etc). That said, I've never been questioned over anything I'm carrying.

A friend of mine was suffering from Cancer. Her doctor had issued to her Morphine for the pain.

Before the cruise she contacted Princess Hq to verify just what documentation she needed to bring to bring her med's on the ship.

During the cruise her husband called the ship doctor to their cabin and he saw the drugs she had in her possession. The Doctor did not question anything.

Do recommend that you also contact Princess and ask what you need to bring with with you in form of justification along with your prescriptions.

Bob

One interesting tidbit is that Sudafed, which is available at any pharmacy in the USA without a script....is illegal in Mexico. And there are many other similar situations.

Hank

I find it funny you need a prescription for Neosporin in Canada. You can get all the codeine you want BUT......

I have never been asked to show my prescriptions ever when I have boarded a ship. Not at the airport either. Chances of the guys checking luggage even knowing what all the prescriptions are would be incredible. Can you just imagine how long it would take to board the ship if everyone had to declare their medications.

I'll be going on a 7 night Alaskan cruise in May and occasionally suffer extreme knee pain. Usually Alieve helps but sometimes I'm near paralyzed with pain so my doctor gave me Tylenol 3 to combat the worst of it. Changes in the weather seem to trigger it and I want to take a couple with me in the event I'm in tears and bedridden by an episode. Do I need a doctor's note or will it be okay if I just keep the pills in the original bottle? I'll be disembarking from Vancouver, BC if it makes a difference.

Since you're entering the USA, it's their rules you need to worry about (as a Canadian you're already fine with ours!)

This note on CBP website clearly states the requirements - in summary have a Prescription/Doctors note OR have the meds in original bottles with prescription info on those bottles (and take no more than 90 days worth of the meds - probably not even a factor for you on a 7 day cruise).

You are also responsible for declaring them to CBP - if you don't and they decide to randomly search your stuff and find them, you could be charged with smuggling Schedule III Narcotics into the US!

You are also responsible for declaring them to CBP - if you don't and they decide to randomly search your stuff and find them, you could be charged with smuggling Schedule III Narcotics into the US!

I don't wanna bunk with Red and Piper! I'll bring the original bottle with the original info on it and definitely declare it. Am I able to carry it on or does it need to be in with checked bags?

I don't wanna bunk with Red and Piper! I'll bring the original bottle with the original info on it and definitely declare it. Am I able to carry it on or does it need to be in with checked bags?

Always carry on medical necessities. Carry on. Not only to declare when crossing borders but also because checked luggage gets to your final destination less often than carry-on.

They have never even looked at the meds I've taken onboard. My hubby takes hydrocodone occasionally for his trigeminal neuralgia and carries that in the bottle from the pharmacy-no worries.

I agree. I take Oxycontin, I take Oxycodone and a few more really good stuff. I have a bag full of medical stuff. An entire carryon. My CPAP, my stimulator, my blood sugar testing stuff and the rest is full of prescriptions bottles for both myself and my husband. I also take over the counter medications for the "just in case" stuff like Aleve, aspirin, sudafed etc.

Sometimes at the airport I have to open my case but that is for my CPAP and they swab it for bomb making stuff. That's it. Never ever have they picked up a single bottle. I never never in all my travels been asked what drugs I have. I can't imagine why I would tell them. My advise - only answer questions that you are asked. Don't complicate by volunteering information they don't want. I do carry them in the original bottle or if not I have a copy of all my prescriptions. Even traveling overseas I have never been asked.

I can't imagine those people making minimum wage scanning carry on luggage at the pier have any interest in your legal drugs. Their job is to look for things not allowed on the ship. There is zero reason for those guys to know what medications I am taking and why. I would not tell them even if they asked. Can you just imagine the back up line if they did :eek: The same goes if I am traveling within the US. I am not required to tell them anything. Talk about a HIPAA violation!

If I am traveling international I can see the guys at the new country asking but they never do. THOSE are the ones that have a right to ask. You are entering their country.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Love that Series on Netflix! :D

As others have said the cruise line will have no interest in your meds... The US Customs may ask when you enter the US is all and no problem if you're prepared... And the key is "may ask." Someone else pointed out... offering information when not asked may complicate things for you.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

I once made the mistake of not having meds in the original container and was held up at the border while they checked what the meds were.... No threat of being charged for something that's easily beatable.... Just inconvenienced while they checked... lesson learned! :)

Edited by hel0013

I just wish we didn't have to take the original prescription containers. All our medications are 90-day supplies from a mail-order pharmacy and containers are huge! Also, my husband likes for all his meds to be parceled out in daily pill containers and taking them from the bottles will throw him off.

I just wish we didn't have to take the original prescription containers. All our medications are 90-day supplies from a mail-order pharmacy and containers are huge! Also, my husband likes for all his meds to be parceled out in daily pill containers and taking them from the bottles will throw him off.

As has been stated before you do not have to keep them in the original containers. Even if you are just talking about your T-3 drugs they are only for a 1 month period. Many on these boards use the weekly plastic pill thing or they use mini plastic bags and put their medications in there. For example, I take morning meds, I take 2:30 meds, I take dinner meds and bedtime meds. So, I count out the number of days we will be gone. Depending on where we are going I add one or two days additional. So, I need four bags a day. I then label each bag for the day and time. Next I fill each bag and throw it into a lunch baggie. Same with my DH's meds.

I keep my T-3s in the original container. I keep one mini baggie with the day's medications with me in case I forget to grab one on my way out for the day. I also take a mini tupperware container that has advil, eleve, sudafed, antacids etc in it. If I am traveling internationally I take a copy of my meds with me. I have never been asked despite the fact they have pulled them all out when swabbing my CPAP.

Again, while traveling in the US or boarding a ship I would under no circumstance give my private medical information to a part time worker who scans my bag. Even TSA has no right to ask you what you use the drugs for. In that case, just because I don't care enough to argue it, I would tell them. Boarding the ship. Nope.

Using original containers with labels is not absolutely necessary.

TSA and foreign equivalents are usually only concerned about medical items that would not otherwise be allowed on board. Bottles of liquid medication for example. Pills and such are not generally of interest. Although they may ask what they are for to confirm that you know what they are and they are in fact medication, i.e. that you are not trying to bring aboard some explosive :rolleyes:.

CBP and foreign equivalents are concerned that any drugs are legal in the country and if prescriptions are required, that one has a valid prescription. As long as one is not bringing in an overly large quantity, can identify each pill/capsule and have a written & signed prescription/note from the doctor one should not have any difficulty. However, narcotics are particularly dicey and I keep them in their original containers.

Again, while traveling in the US or boarding a ship I would under no circumstance give my private medical information to a part time worker who scans my bag. Even TSA has no right to ask you what you use the drugs for. In that case, just because I don't care enough to argue it, I would tell them. Boarding the ship. Nope.

TSA has every right to ask you questions to determine your veracity and level of threat. The manner and detail of a response to a question of why a particular drug is needed can quickly let them know if the meds are just a prop.

The only original container we have ever taken with us was for pain meds. The other 19 Rx we have never taken in original containers, not to board ship and not on international or domestic flights. I parcel out the pills in daily dosage in small 2x3 ziplocks from SciPlus.com which are in a larger quartsize bag (we take longer cruises than a week) which also includes a pharmacy printout of all the Rx. The bag is in hubby's carryon. So far we have never been questioned about that routine, not even when we've been randomly chosen for baggage inspection by customs in various countries.

We keep prescription meds, as well as OTC meds in their original bottles.

If you want to carry Rxs in containers smaller than they came in and are concerned about being questioned, ask your doc for a single page print-out with your meds, dosage, etc. They can even put a color photo of the pill/capsule on it. Mine did that w/o my even asking when they heard I'd be leaving the country. I don't take anything that's interesting at all, and have never been asked what I have in the little plastic bags, but it's good for peace of mind.

Melissa