First time on Ruby Princess

PvTraveler

DH and I are taking our first cruise on the Ruby Princess over Christmas. We have sailed on many other lines but want to ask if there is anything special not to be missed on the Ruby. Special places, food selections, spa services anything that you enjoyed we would like to hear about. Thanks for your time

DH and I are taking our first cruise on the Ruby Princess over Christmas. We have sailed on many other lines but want to ask if there is anything special not to be missed on the Ruby. Special places, food selections, spa services anything that you enjoyed we would like to hear about. Thanks for your time

Come join us on the Roll Call for this cruise...Great place to discuss everything regarding the ship, the itinerary, the ports, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327732

A lot depends on what you like to do.

Don't miss reading the Princess Patter each day it has all the activities, times and locations. The information is also available using the free Princess @ Sea app. Visit the internet cafe to load onto your phone or tablet.

Food @ no additional charge: DR's open for breakfast each day and lunch on sea days. One DR open for lunch on boarding day between noon and 1:30; Room Service; International Cafe open 24/7; Horizon Ct./Cafe Caribe buffet open 6am to 11pm, never closes during that time; Pizza & soft ice cream bar and Trident Grill both open 11am to 10/11pm by the Lido Pool. Like specialty dining try the Crown Grill or Crab Shack each @ $29/pp or SHARE by Curtis Stone @ $39/pp. Make reservations on board by calling the DINE Line or visiting the restaurant location.

Like to sit and read, try the promenade deck or the quiet Adagio Lounge on deck 16 aft or Skywalker's Lounge on deck 18 aft.

Are you a pool person? The Ruby has five pools. The amin pools are on the Lido deck. The Calypso Reef pool has MUTS (outdoor movie screen) going all day, Neptune's Reef pool is MUTS free and has live music at times during warm weather cruises. The Terrace Pool all the way aft and the Lotus Spa Pool on deck 18 forward are adults only. The Chill Out pool on deck 17 aft is a family pool, but gets very little use.

Evening: All the normal shows and activities. Try Crooner's Lounge with it's piano player entertainer at least once. A very popular location. Some entertainers draw big crowds.

Definitely go to the Adagio Lounge. They make the best tiramisu martini. It's dessert in a glass. :D

I used to like the tiramisu until our last cruise on the Crown, after which I became acquainted with the size of the bathroom in our interior cabin. Had it several other times on prior cruises, so random luck perhaps.

Regardless, Adagio is the place to go. Quiet room, beautiful woods, great jazz club atmosphere. Easy access to the aft of the ship for great sunset views. My wife and I are both into photography, and I plan to do some great portraits of her (and hopefully of us) on our next cruise.

I used to like the tiramisu until our last cruise on the Crown, after which I became acquainted with the size of the bathroom in our interior cabin. Had it several other times on prior cruises, so random luck perhaps.

Regardless, Adagio is the place to go. Quiet room, beautiful woods, great jazz club atmosphere. Easy access to the aft of the ship for great sunset views. My wife and I are both into photography, and I plan to do some great portraits of her (and hopefully of us) on our next cruise.

Oh dear.:( Perhaps the mascarpone cheese was bad? :eek:

Where does everyone think the best spot for sailaway is on Ruby?

If the weather is nice, the sun deck is hard to beat for sail-away. They'll be having a sail-away party going on with the band playing etc.

If the weather is not so nice I suggest either Skywalkers nightclub (up high) or perhaps the (covered) promenade deck outside with a jacket.

For Port of Los Angeles I prefer to be on the Starboard side. On that side you'll see the Port-O-Call restaurants and shops. People will be waving at you from the restaurants as you sail by. Port of Los Angeles is one of the busiest ports, the other side (the Port side) you'll see just how big and busy that port is.

Edited by jasmith52

Make sure to enjoy all the gorgeous Christmas decorations. They are everywhere! Also the Pool and bar at the back of the ship. Very nice. Shows were very good, we enjoyed them all.

We will be on the same cruise also over Christmas. They have a new show called the Voice of the Ocean just like the TV show 'The Voice'. It will be put on by the passengers (people like me and you). So if you can sing and can get in front of 1,000 or so of your fellow passengers in the main theater:eek: this might be for you. However if you don't sing you can just come to the main theater and enjoy the other fellow passengers that do sing I hear its a great show. Lastly I did not see you on the roll call for our cruise you should sign up. I believe they will have a meet and greet with all the CC people that are on the cruise (if your interested) it sounds like a great way to meet new people.

• 3 weeks later...

We just did a short run on the Ruby. "Magic to Do" - the stage production in the theater was very good.

We enjoyed people-watching while having lunch at the International Cafe, Deck 5 midship, just off the Piazza where there is always something going on. Specialty teas and coffees and gelato are extra charge, but the salads and sandwiches (some hot) and dainty desserts (like carrot cake, cookies, tuxedo cake and fruit tarts) are no charge.

We popped into one of the main dining rooms after the theater one night when it was not at all busy and had just dessert. Staff were very gracious about it.

Our other favorite spot was eating outside at the very back of the ship, picking up breakfast from Cafe Caribe, and sitting on the deck overlooking the Terrace Pool. Sadly they started sanding and painting it so that we couldn't repeat the experience but good news for you -- it is all done and you won't have the same problem.

Maybe go to the top deck and explore from the top down. Some decks are all cabins -- skip those. There's mini golf and kids'

activities at the tiptop.

Enjoy!

Edited by emanddee