staggered check-in

tngirl1stcruise12

I think the TRUE sample cruiser is someone on their first or second cruise, not someone who books last minute and is a frequent cruiser. Most people on a cruise ship don't have a bunch of cruises under their belt. They don't really understand the process involved. Some fly in the morning of the cruise, get in like 9am, and find they have a 1pm check-in time and are surprised when they need to stand outside the terminal for 3 hours waiting to just get in to check in (while watching others stroll in another door).

Since the process to sign up for a check-in time is right on the computer when you do your on-line check-in, I don't know why someone would be surprised.

What no one has addressed in this thread is the following: Day One is obviously one of our paid cruise days, and if/when the time comes that they tell me I can't board until 2 or 2:30pm, I'm going to be fuming. :mad:

I usually get there at 10:30am, but am a big boy and know that I may need to sit a while before entering, yet I've never walked on much later than 12:00 or so.

Those two hours onboard before a hypothetical forced 2:00 or 2:30 embarkation are a cherished part of our cruise- frozen drink, cabin preview, LUNCH, bon-voyage phone calls, sightseeing around the ship, picture-taking, and a chance to decompress before the dreaded muster drill. Boarding at 2:30 makes it a 6 1/2 day cruise.

Yeah, I know about FTTF, etc, but like I said, should we have to pay FTTF just to get back that 1/2 day of our cruise? We're all paying for a 7-day (or insert length of your cruise here) cruise.

Yes, if you are lucky enough to rate an early advance check-in time it may be smoother, and less sitting in the seats, but this whole thing hardly seems fair to those shut out until late, who are paying for the same cruise.

(Not to mention- in Miami, you need to plan to get somewhere by 10:00 if you want to be there by 11:00, because of traffic :p. So when you actually encounter light traffic, are you supposed to twiddle your thumbs because you can't enter? That's a whole other dimension... AND, for locals like us, if we get to the port at 2PM, will there even be parking spots available, still? :eek: Getting there early ensures a space...)

Edited by yuccaman

What no one has addressed in this thread is the following: Day One is obviously one of our paid cruise days, and if/when the time comes that they tell me I can't board until 2 or 2:30pm, I'm going to be fuming. :mad:

I usually get there at 10:30am, but am a big boy and know that I may need to sit a while before entering, yet I've never walked on much later than 12:00 or so.

Those two hours onboard before a hypothetical forced 2:00 or 2:30 embarkation are a cherished part of our cruise- frozen drink, cabin preview, LUNCH, bon-voyage phone calls, sightseeing around the ship, picture-taking, and a chance to decompress before the dreaded muster drill. Boarding at 2:30 makes it a 6 1/2 day cruise.

Yeah, I know about FTTF, etc, but like I said, should we have to pay FTTF just to get back that 1/2 day of our cruise? We're all paying for a 7-day (or insert length of your cruise here) cruise.

Yes, if you are lucky enough to rate an early advance check-in time it may be smoother, and less sitting in the seats, but this whole thing hardly seems fair to those shut out until late, who are paying for the same cruise.

(Not to mention- in Miami, you need to plan to get somewhere by 10:00 if you want to be there by 11:00, because of traffic :p. So when you actually encounter light traffic, are you supposed to twiddle your thumbs because you can't enter? That's a whole other dimension... AND, for locals like us, if we get to the port at 2PM, will there even be parking spots available, still? :eek: Getting there early ensures a space...)

I guess it's good then that you actually pay for a 7 NIGHT cruise and not 7 days.

Cruises aren't paid for by day so as long as you are on the ship for that first night you are in fact getting what you paid for.

People are making a big deal out of nothing. We have deliberately arrived later to not have to wait in line and not have to wait for rooms to be ready and guess what. We still had a good time and got what we paid for. Or select an early check in time. It's really that not difficult. And quite honestly as other lines see how well this system works I wouldn't be surprised to see it roll out to others as well. Our royal boarding was a mess and would have been nice to have had this system in place.

When we cruised out of Miami, we left our Orlando hotel in good time to make to the port before noon and got there after 1 p.m. When we cruised out of Galveston, we left our Houston area hotel thinking we'd arrive by 11 a.m. based on cruise critic members' estimates of drive time, and we were parking at 9:50 a.m. because there was zero traffic. Only the most relaxed people would aim to arrive at a cruise terminal at 2 p.m. if they're driving in, considering all that could cause delays. I have not heard stories of people being forced to select times after 12:30, but I'd like to know if that's happening.

............I have not heard stories of people being forced to select times after 12:30, but I'd like to know if that's happening.

At Long Beach the earliest time you can choose is 12 or 12:30 depending on itin. Ships sail at 5 and 4 respectively.

I guess it's good then that you actually pay for a 7 NIGHT cruise and not 7 days.

Cruises aren't paid for by day so as long as you are on the ship for that first night you are in fact getting what you paid for.

Hahaha. Very clever. You're dwelling on wording semantics, and not getting the point. (And yes, I realize they word it that way on purpose.) Yet, the cruise ship is not a land hotel. We're not paying for 7 nights in a room, so to speak. We're paying for a 7 DAY VACATION.

If you are of a mind set that you are losing precious time from your paid cruise by boarding later, than nothing anyone says will convince you otherwise. But don't be surprised if you arrive before boarding starts and you are told to wait. If the ship isn't ready, no one is going to be allowed on regardless of FTTF, Platinum or Diamond status or sailing in a suite. You will still be able to have lunch, drinks, take photos, etc. before the ship sails.

As far as getting a parking space if you arrive later, take a taxi or have a friend drop you off at the port and do the same thing on your return. A close friend of mine has a friend drive him to the port in his car, drop him off and then drive the car home bypassing port long term parking. The reverse happens upon his return home.

There has to be a system in place at the ports or else you will have a mad rush/stampede and complaints about not being able to board in an organized manner. Everyone is subject to the rules enforced at each port. The port officials decide when to shut down and when to allow passengers to board, not the cruise lines. Too many people in the terminal or the ship isn't ready due to VIP tours of travel agents, Chamber of Commerce reps, etc. still on the ship or various inspections, you will not be able to board early.

MARAPRINCE

Hahaha. Very clever. You're dwelling on wording semantics, and not getting the point. (And yes, I realize they word it that way on purpose.) Yet, the cruise ship is not a land hotel. We're not paying for 7 nights in a room, so to speak. We're paying for a 7 DAY VACATION.

I get the point and I understand what is being purchased with a cruise. Clearly you do not.

It works exactly like a land hotel. You can call it semantics all you want. But in this case you still aren't correct because a 7 night cruise, based on your logic, would be an 8 day.

You aren't guaranteed to be onboard by a set time and no documentation from the cruise line advertises a 7 day vacation.

There could be an issue with the ship that could delay boarding until 8pm. And guess what, they are still giving you what you purchased because you purchased nights on board not days.

What you are saying is absolutely correct.

We boarded the Carnival Triumph in NYC and were in the buffet having lunch when a man at the next table collapsed and had to be taken off the ship to the hospital along with his family. Needless to say, any further boarding was shut down to allow the ambulance attendants to get on board and assess the man's condition. The whole area around the man was closed off from the rest of the buffet except for our table.

My point is you do not know what the cause of delayed boarding is.

As long as you board the ship by the stated on-board departure time or a delayed boarding time, day 1/night 1 has been delivered as paid for. You cannot count days without counting the nights on board the ship as well. A 7-night sailing would be from Saturday to Saturday while an 8-day sailing would encompass Saturday to Sunday. So it is more than just semantics. How many days are you paying tips for? That is the correct number of days/nights of the cruise.

MARAPRINCE

Actually, the Carnival website does advertise it as a 7 day cruise not 7 night cruise, just semantics. Embarkation day shows day 1, while debarkation day shows day 8.:o

And your "day" on the ship can start at 3 pm....that's your first day

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

I get the point and I understand what is being purchased with a cruise. Clearly you do not.

It works exactly like a land hotel. You can call it semantics all you want. But in this case you still aren't correct because a 7 night cruise, based on your logic, would be an 8 day.

You aren't guaranteed to be onboard by a set time and no documentation from the cruise line advertises a 7 day vacation.

There could be an issue with the ship that could delay boarding until 8pm. And guess what, they are still giving you what you purchased because you purchased nights on board not days.

And your "day" on the ship can start at 3 pm....that's your first day

Gee, I didn't know so many cruise line lawyers were on this thread...

NO, we are not buying 7 nights in a room like a land hotel. We are buying a 7 day vacation. Marriott does not feed and entertain me for 7 days. If I rent a room from them it's for 7 nights of a bed, not a 7 day vacation experience.

Besides, as others on this thread have pointed out- CCL and others DO CALL IT A 7 DAY CRUISE! Not a 7 night cruise. Oh, and don't get all lawyerly on me again and tell me to read my contract, I've been reading the things since 1990.

I'm talking about the spirit of that first FULLY PAID vacation day- it shouldn't be forced upon people who want to arrive earlier, to have to start it at 3PM. It's that simple.

And to the other commenter who said that sometimes there are extra inspections, etc, to delay embarkation. Yes, of course. I'm talking about the average, normal embarkation where there are no special activities or problems. Stuff happens.

Edited by yuccaman

I'm talking about the spirit of that first FULLY PAID vacation day- it shouldn't be forced upon people who want to arrive earlier, to have to start it at 3PM. It's that simple.

Not everyone can walk on the ship at 10:30. Now we get that you may WANT to do something. We are adults, just because you WANT something doesn't mean you get it....Follow the rules that Carnival ports forth. If you don't like their rules, maybe you should be researching other cruise lines that is more to your liking....it really is not a hard concept

Edited by First and Ten

If anyone has actual read their Carnival facts such as "EMBARKATION CHECK-IN AND BOARDING TIMES" I think they would be surprised that Carnival does print out a list of "boarding times" for each ship and it's sailings.

Their printed literature states that "boarding time" is from x to x, usually 12:30 or 1:00 until 60 minutes before sailing.

No where does it state that anyone is guaranteed an earlier "boarding time" though they can "check in" earlier with certain restrictions at certain ports. And Carnival does state that "rooms" will be ready for occupancy at 1:30.

Also, no where that I can find does it state that lunch on embarkation day is guaranteed. Carnival does not provide an hour to hour summary of what a customer "pays" for...just the times a ship is scheduled to leave and when it is scheduled to arrive and how many "nights" you get to sleep on the ship. That is what you are paying for....the rest is just gravy if you are allowed on earlier and stay past docking.

Actually, it's not "that simple". Ocean conditions, weather, passenger issue's unloading 3-4000 passengers, unloading and loading supplies, boarding another 3-4000 passengers, and other variables the cruise lines can't control make it less than "that simple". I continue to be amazed that cruises ships arrive and depart in the same day, in a relative short 10-12 window.

But, it appears that no matter what anyone suggests, no matter whats printed, scheduled or not, semantics aside, you have it in your mind how you think it should be, no matter what. Good luck with that,

Actually, it's not "that simple". Ocean conditions, weather, passenger issue's unloading 3-4000 passengers, unloading and loading supplies, boarding another 3-4000 passengers, and other variables the cruise lines can't control make it less than "that simple". I continue to be amazed that cruises ships arrive and depart in the same day, in a relative short 10-12 window.

But, it appears that no matter what anyone suggests, no matter whats printed, scheduled or not, semantics aside, you have it in your mind how you think it should be, no matter what. Good luck with that,

AMEN to that!

MARAPRINCE

I, for one, think they do an incredible job on turnover day. And I think I like the staggered check-in and will experience it for the first time in a few weeks. We too like getting on the ship early and have been able to get an early slot. Our worst experience was a long wait outside in Long Beach. But even then it's just part of the process.

Staggered check in is the reason I will never book a last minute vacation with Carnival again. If I can't get the earliest check in time then Carnival will lose my business and I will take my vacation dollars to someone else. If I can plan ahead and book more than a year in advance and I can ensure that the earliest time is available then I will be happy to book with them. My vacation beings when I say it does. If you plan to dictate to me when that is then I will go somewhere else. Simple as that.

Glad we are going to Disney World next year :D

Staggered check in is the reason I will never book a last minute vacation with Carnival again. If I can't get the earliest check in time then Carnival will lose my business and I will take my vacation dollars to someone else. If I can plan ahead and book more than a year in advance and I can ensure that the earliest time is available then I will be happy to book with them. My vacation beings when I say it does. If you plan to dictate to me when that is then I will go somewhere else. Simple as that.

So your realistic expectation is that all those people who picked times before you, that shouldn't matter, you should get on when you want to get on? Do you also feel you should be able to get on when the Weddings/Dia/Plat and FTTF purchasers do? You don't want to recognize their perks, just what you want?

If you are truly going to DW, I suggest you stay on property. Reason being, people who stay on property have early access to specific parks on specific days. Are you going to boycott Disney too because they aren't following "The Rules According to Trvlgirlmq"? :rolleyes:

Edited by First and Ten

wow... I think I see your picture in the dictionary under 'Self-Entitled'

I wonder if the other 3000 people on the cruise had the exact same thought as you and got there before you? How would you cope with all the other people demanding the same thing as you?

talk about your false sense of entitlement... SMH

Edited by hftmrock

For what it is worth, the earlier check in times don't seem to disappear so quickly. In 3 sailings since they started staggered check in at Galveston I have either myself, or had couples joining us booked in the last 8 weeks before sailing and there were still early check in times available. In one case, they actually opened up and earlier time block that did not exist as a choice when originally booked (10am). Our friends chose it and we moved to it so we could be together. Interestingly, that was our most miserable check-in experience ever because it was SO crowded. Now we choose 11 or 1130 because that seems to be quieter and run more smoothly.