Anne Frank house DIY ?

topbaz

Hi, 5 of us (4 adults 1 child) were looking to go to the Anne frank house in feb but its already on the wait list, Has anybody done it on there own and not with p and o ? any info would be appreciated, and if we can do it DIY is there anything else in that area to look around /shop or anything

Thanks barry

Amsterdam center is small and very walkable - there will be plenty to see and do after your visit to the AF house. Spend some time checking out the google map of AMS, get an AMS guide book, watch some travel videos. It is a very easy place to visit without a guide. Definitely book your tickets ahead.

We went May 2015. However we were part of a private tour. The lines to get in were incredibly looooong (we were told can be as long as 4 hours). However, being on the tour we walked right in! I highly recommend our guide who picked us up in Rotterdam in a brand new mini van and took us to Amsterdam. His name is Edwin Groeneweg and the company is The Dutch Travel Advisor ( https://www.thedutchtraveladvisor.com ). He'll take you wherever you want. We drove to the Anne Frank house and parked and walked all around Amsterdam. We stopped at a small place for lunch. Took a cruise on the canal too. Also went to Van Gough museum. He will customize a tour if you want.

I am so very glad I got to go to Anne Frank's house. The cruise line wanted a lot of money for it but probably because it was a small tour of only about 8 people. I guess they don't let busloads in. It was one of the many highlights of our cruise.

Good luck

Hi, 5 of us (4 adults 1 child) were looking to go to the Anne frank house in feb but its already on the wait list, Has anybody done it on there own and not with p and o ? any info would be appreciated, and if we can do it DIY is there anything else in that area to look around /shop or anything

Thanks barry

Close to Ann Frank House are the canal boats, which is like a HoHo bus on the water. We bought tickets at the stop there and had an awesome tour of Amsterdam.

The Anne Frank house is very doable on your own. You do need tickets. Try to figure out what time you would be there because when you buy tickets on line you need to say what time. When we did this a couple of years ago, I scheduled the time so there would be plenty of time to get there (incase we got lost). It was very easy to follow the map from our hotel and we got there a couple hours before our time. I asked and they let us in early so we did not have to wait til our scheduled time. And yes, the line for those getting tickets is very long. There is also plenty of things to see and do around the area and it is easy to ride the trams to get where you need to go. Get directions from where your ship will dock to get you started.

Amsterdam center is small and very walkable - there will be plenty to see and do after your visit to the AF house. Spend some time checking out the google map of AMS, get an AMS guide book, watch some travel videos. It is a very easy place to visit without a guide. Definitely book your tickets ahead.

Breat post and I agree with mos except the guide's name as I don't know that spedific quide. Amsterdam is a wonderful citty t o walk and also.......... by all merans, be sure to see Night Watch.

Breat post and I agree with mos except the guide's name as I don't know that spedific quide. Amsterdam is a wonderful citty t o walk and also.......... by all merans, be sure to see Night Watch.

"get an AMS guide book"

Let me clarify - not a specific guide book - AMS = Amsterdam

sorry for the confusion - sometimes I'm a lazy typist!

and Thank you!

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

I've been to the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam. From what I recall the house was not furnished. It's empty rooms. There was a reason for that too based on Otto Frank's wishes.

There are still pictures and things on the walls but no furniture. Also, the stairs are very steep and it's something to consider if you or anyone has mobility issues.

The whole exhibit AFTER the tour is very well done and of course there is a gift shop at the end.