Inflatable baby bathtub?

cmukid87

By that logic nobody should be allowed to use deck chairs. It affects all of the foot traffic around the pool.

deck chairs are placed in a formation to allow traffic to flow. putting something else where the foot traffic is supposed to go is the problem. no different than when people put other things in the walkway, it disrupts traffic. not to mention that carnival owns the deck chairs and can put them where they want.

the logic is sound, you just don't like it.

deck chairs are placed in a formation to allow traffic to flow. putting something else where the foot traffic is supposed to go is the problem. no different than when people put other things in the walkway, it disrupts traffic. not to mention that carnival owns the deck chairs and can put them where they want.

the logic is sound, you just don't like it.

If you'd have taken the time to read, the tub will be put in place if a deck chair. I already mentioned that I was conscientious enough to put it as to not affect anyone directly.

My logic comment was comparing the pool to the steakhouse. The comparison that made no sense.

Actually, Carnival does not have baby pools. They have splash areas for young children, who are potty trained. Only Disney and some RCI ships have splash areas/pools for children in diapers.

Was just on the Miracle in August and there was no splash area, just pools and the one water slide. It did have what appeared to be a baby pool near the waterslide that was round and 1' deep (was always closed).

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/Ships/MI/DeckPlans/Miracle-11.jpg

Edited by louanne93

These are about the size of the rugrat's bottom and outstretched legs. It takes up no more room than the kid sitting on the deck. They are fine on the pool deck, just use them out of the way. To keep the chlorine down for the little one, I would suggest filling it from the showers on the pool deck, and dumping it down the shower drain.

Pools are saltwater NOT chlorine!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Salt water or chlorine. You don't want your baby in the big pool water anyways, that water is nasty, you think all those people drinking and kids that are in there for hours are getting out to use the bathroom? Any kid that takes their own pool on a cruise has the cleanest water there, potty trained or not

I say give it a shot. On a previous cruise we brought a tiny single ring blow up pool. Placed it between 2 loungers, put a couple inches of water in for a little one in our group and voila the little one had a blast playing with her toys in the pool. Emptied it in the drain and deflated it when done. It wasn't in the way of anyone. Another time friends brought one of those small plastic wash basin, the kind you get in the hospital, they're like 12" x 9" and about 5-6" deep.:o (hope you know what I mean). filled it with water and added some toys, again put it between the loungers he sat there playing with his toys in and out of the water.

Edited by sharonna3

Salt water or chlorine. You don't want your baby in the big pool water anyways, that water is nasty, you think all those people drinking and kids that are in there for hours are getting out to use the bathroom? Any kid that takes their own pool on a cruise has the cleanest water there, potty trained or not

^^Agreed^^

On the Miracle in August, the Serenity pool was grey/green:eek: by the end of the day! Gross!! Will NEVER go in that pool!

Nay-sayer^^^...

There is definitely no difference in a free public recreational area and a for-fee specialty restaurant. LOL, some people crack me up.

i guess if we're going to throw down labels we could give you 'entitlementer'.....one who thinks because they paid a fare they can do anything they want, even in violation of the rules, because it's 'their' vacation.

If you'd have taken the time to read, the tub will be put in place if a deck chair. I already mentioned that I was conscientious enough to put it as to not affect anyone directly.

My logic comment was comparing the pool to the steakhouse. The comparison that made no sense.

and like 'bewitched' a twinkle of your nose and the deck chair you are replacing vanishes......right. or, more likely, the deck chair is pushed into the walking path of people. of course,none of it really matters as it has already been proven that inflatable pools are prohibited which should have ended the conversation then and there.

Edited by Computer Nerd

you do understand the reason for the salt. just like my salt system at home, they have a chlorine generator that strips the chlorine from sodium chloride....salt.... to provide chlorine in the pool. the concentration of chlorine is less than in a traditional pool but it is most definitely there.

you do understand the reason for the salt. just like my salt system at home, they have a chlorine generator that strips the chlorine from sodium chloride....salt.... to provide chlorine in the pool. the concentration of chlorine is less than in a traditional pool but it is most definitely there.

Actually, the ships do not use salt water to generate chlorine, they use it because it is free.

Now, having said that, let me state, once again, the USPH regulations for cruise ship "recreational water facilities" to cover all bases (pools, hot tubs, splash zones, etc). Salt water pools may be operated in two modes: flow through and recirculation.

Flow through mode requires constant input of fresh sea water, with the excess overflowing back to the sea. This type of pool operation does not require chlorination as there is no recirculation, and the turn-over rate of water is sufficient to keep contamination down. However, once a ship is within 12 miles of any shore, the pool must be drained or changed over to recirculation mode.

Recirculation mode pools, regardless of whether fresh or salt, must have a residual chlorine content of 1-5ppm. Even with salt water pools, the ship will maintain this chlorine content using liquid sodium hypochlorite (some ships now use bromine).

So, only on sea days will a salt water pool not be chlorinated, and even then, when changing back to recirculation mode when arriving in port the pool needs to be closed until the chlorine levels are adequate, most ships will not go to flow through mode unless there are two or more sea days in a row. So, for the vast majority of the time, salt water pools will be chlorinated.

Google "USPH VSP" (vessel sanitation program) and look for the 300 page operations manual, and Section 6 covers Recreational Water Facilities.

Edited by chengkp75

and like 'bewitched' a twinkle of your nose and the deck chair you are replacing vanishes......right. or, more likely, the deck chair is pushed into the walking path of people. of course,none of it really matters as it has already been proven that inflatable pools are prohibited which should have ended the conversation then and there.

Nowhere in the prohibited items is inflatable baby bathtub listed. Thank you for your opinion though.

Thank you for all of the experiences shared. I now know that I shouldn't have any issues with my vacation. The thread has served it's purpose but there aren't any more helpful comments, only the typical "you'll ruin my cruise" nay-sayers so I'll leave you all be.

I would not take it to the pool area, if it was located on the ground, an individual could trip over it with disastrous results. The lounge chairs are certain not secure and the possibility of the tub falling off the chair is a clear risk. If you must take it, keep it in the cabin, definitely not on the balcony. The safety of you child is of paramount importance.

I would not take it to the pool area, if it was located on the ground, an individual could trip over it with disastrous results. The lounge chairs are certain not secure and the possibility of the tub falling off the chair is a clear risk. If you must take it, keep it in the cabin, definitely not on the balcony. The safety of you child is of paramount importance.

How would it be unsafe on the balcony? You realize the balconies are enclosed and the baby and pool can't just blow off it right? That baby would be as safe on the balcony playing in the pool by Mom as they would be on the deck playing by Mom.

If it's set up between the chairs no one is going to trip over it unless they are drunk and falling over the chairs too and then the pool isn't the issue, their inebriation is the issue. Drunks are their own hazard.

The deck chairs on most cruise ships due to weight restrictions are fairly right. There is a chance that an individual, walking, unintentionally, could walk into the chair, and with a small tube filled with both water and an infant could easily tip over. That could certainly pose a risk to the child.

Certainly a baby is a paying passenger, but the safety of the infant is of paramount importance. I, as a parent and grandparent, would not take the risk. However, if one is determined, I would certainly clear it with Carnival but I would do so.

Again, the safety of the infant is of paramount importance.

Cruise ships have two types of pools. One is the traditional salt water which takes the water from the ocean and recirculates it. The second is chlorine. Whether you put the chlorine in from tablets, liquid, or from salt, the active ingredient is still free chlorine. Traditionally community pools, have much higher chlorine levels because of the large number of individuals in it. It is a health regulation.

If it is not a saltwater pool, than you can expect the chlorine levels to be high.

The deck chairs on most cruise ships due to weight restrictions are fairly right. There is a chance that an individual, walking, unintentionally, could walk into the chair, and with a small tube filled with both water and an infant could easily tip over. That could certainly pose a risk to the child.

Certainly a baby is a paying passenger, but the safety of the infant is of paramount importance. I, as a parent and grandparent, would not take the risk. However, if one is determined, I would certainly clear it with Carnival but I would do so.

Again, the safety of the infant is of paramount importance.

I don't believe the OP is going to fill up a baby pool and put it on a lounger. The small pool would be put on the deck. People move loungers around all the time, it is not going to be difficult for the OP to have a safe place for her child to splash in without disrupting any other passengers. I have done it several time with no problem.

How would it be unsafe on the balcony? You realize the balconies are enclosed and the baby and pool can't just blow off it right? That baby would be as safe on the balcony playing in the pool by Mom as they would be on the deck playing by Mom.

If it's set up between the chairs no one is going to trip over it unless they are drunk and falling over the chairs too and then the pool isn't the issue, their inebriation is the issue. Drunks are their own hazard.

Sorry to disagree. The tub can certainly slip and slide on the balcony, and I for one would never, never, carry an infant out on a balcony where the parent may trip with disastrous results. At the pool for whatever the reason, the chance of an individual tripping over the tub, or the lounge chair where the tub would be located could potentially cause injury to the child.

Edited by stevenr597
spelling check and corrections

Cruise ships have two types of pools. One is the traditional salt water which takes the water from the ocean and recirculates it. The second is chlorine. Whether you put the chlorine in from tablets, liquid, or from salt, the active ingredient is still free chlorine. Traditionally community pools, have much higher chlorine levels because of the large number of individuals in it. It is a health regulation.

If it is not a saltwater pool, than you can expect the chlorine levels to be high.

Sigh, and again, ship's saltwater pools are chlorinated to the same levels as fresh water pools. The pool association in the US recommends pool chlorine to be 1-3ppm, while the ships require 1-5ppm, so typically the ship's pool has a higher chlorine level.

Nowhere in the prohibited items is inflatable baby bathtub listed. Thank you for your opinion though.

Inflatable baby pools are listed as a restricted item. If the inflatable baby tub is being used as a pool, it would be considered a pool and thus be a restricted item. When asked this a while back, John Heald said no inflatables filled with water for babies to play in were allowed on the decks. At one time small inflatable pools were not on the restricted list. They were put on it only after they became a problem when more people started to use them on decks. You can try it, but please do not yell at the crew if you are asked to remove it. My guess is they will allow it unless someone complains. Most people just smile and think "that's cute" when they see a baby having fun, but you often have that "one person" If you put it in an out of the way place, it is less likely to get complaints. If you put in close to the pool, you will be more likely to have someone complain even though it takes up less room than a lounger. Have a nice cruise.

Edited by Crusin5252

Ships with saltwater pools filter and heat the water using a sand filter and usually drain and refill the pool at night. They will add chlorine if close to shore, if there is a chance of high bacterial counts in the water. With fresh water pools they keep chlorine levels high due to large number of individuals in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ships with saltwater pools filter and heat the water using a sand filter and usually drain and refill the pool at night. They will add chlorine if close to shore, if there is a chance of high bacterial counts in the water. With fresh water pools they keep chlorine levels high due to large number of individuals in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very few ships in my experience drain the pool nightly. They more commonly drain it once or twice weekly. Again, the chlorine has nothing to do with the "chance of high bacterial count".

Here is the USPH VSP operations manual that all ships sailing out of the US must follow:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjfyq_o_qDPAhUEaT4KHeuKA8QQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fnceh%2Fvsp%2Foperationsmanual%2Fopsmanual2011.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE3hpkP37yfQzBY8MTHYWeIq_Xu8A&bvm=bv.133387755,d.cWw

Actually, sand, or granulated filters, are not common on ships because of the need to periodically take core samples and inspect them for excessive organic material. Cartridge filters are far more common, even in salt water pools.

Section 6 covers pools and hot tubs. Please point out to me where the chlorine levels are allowed to be different between salt water and fresh water pools, with the exception of "flow through" operation outside 12 miles. I spent 4 years operating and maintaining cruise ship pools, so I was trained in and very familiar with the USPH regulations, including swimming pools.

Edited by chengkp75

Very few ships in my experience drain the pool nightly. They more commonly drain it once or twice weekly. Again, the chlorine has nothing to do with the "chance of high bacterial count".

Here is the USPH VSP operations manual that all ships sailing out of the US must follow:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjfyq_o_qDPAhUEaT4KHeuKA8QQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fnceh%2Fvsp%2Foperationsmanual%2Fopsmanual2011.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE3hpkP37yfQzBY8MTHYWeIq_Xu8A&bvm=bv.133387755,d.cWw

Actually, sand, or granulated filters, are not common on ships because of the need to periodically take core samples and inspect them for excessive organic material. Cartridge filters are far more common, even in salt water pools.

Section 6 covers pools and hot tubs. Please point out to me where the chlorine levels are allowed to be different between salt water and fresh water pools, with the exception of "flow through" operation outside 12 miles. I spent 4 years operating and maintaining cruise ship pools, so I was trained in and very familiar with the USPH regulations, including swimming pools.

Certainly you may be right. I do note that when I have cruised on ships with salt water pools at night we would see them empty.

In addition, this is an interesting article/comment which may be of some interest:

"It depends on the system in use by the ship and where the ship is. In general, most cruise ships still use free-flowing seawater in their pools (the water is passed through a sand filter before it reaches the pool) - the salt provides a natural source of chlorine bleach to keep the water clean. As long as the ship has access to relatively clean seawater (usually at distances greater than 12 nautical miles from shore), this open-circulation system with the sea will work. To keep the water quality high (given impurities enter the pool from all the people swimming in it), the water is also completely dumped daily (usually in the early morning), the pool sanitized and subsequently refilled with seawater.

When the ship is within 12 nautical miles from shore, the water tends to become more polluted, and as such, ships with saltwater pools will recirculate the water by sending it back through the sand filters instead of dumping it out to sea. Chlorine bleach is added to the water to prevent the water quality from falling too much, but it's best to avoid the pool while the ship is in port if the ship has a saltwater pool system.

The hot tubs on all ships are filled with chlorinated freshwater and some ships have chlorinated freshwater pools, filled with desalinated seawater produced either via flash evaporators (distillation) or reverse osmosis. Either method of seawater desalination is energy intensive and thus increases the ship's fuel consumption - as such, all freshwater pools and hot tubs are recirculated. What differs between the two is how often the water is changed - the CDC's health requirements for all cruise ships sailing out of the United States state that hot tubs must be emptied and refilled daily, while swimming pools can be left alone longer. Either way, impurities get into the water with regular usage and as one can only add so much chlorine into the water to maintain quality, the water in an freshwater pool without pool heaters still must be discarded once every few days."

Anyone have any experience or knowledge? I know inflatable pools are not allowed but what about an inflatable baby bathtub? They are about 12x18".

Yeah, no problem. Made bath time a piece of cake. No need to deflate, just stand it up in the shower then you are done.