Mattress topper request?

LHARTWICK

Hmmm...we were on Adventure in April, and thought the mattresses were traditionally firm but nice - everyone in our party of 6 in 3 cabins slept very well. No one had any interest in a topper.

You were so lucky! I don't think all mattresses are the same, and I think they replace when needed which is why there are so many conflicting reports on comfort. Glad you slept well - that is really important on any vacation :)

You were so lucky! I don't think all mattresses are the same, and I think they replace when needed which is why there are so many conflicting reports on comfort. Glad you slept well - that is really important on any vacation :)

Thanks.

Agree all mattresses on these ships are not created equal. We have seen this firsthand more than once...but in general...cabins feature "firm" mattresses.

Nearly everyone we know prefers a firm mattress, and many doctors recommend them...however...one size doesn't fit all in terms of preference...so...toppers are a good idea for those who prefer that option.

We were on Serenade last Sept/October (2015) for 14 nights. The beds were terrible and guest services said that mattress toppers or egg crates were no longer allowed on board. We finally took a cab to a Walmart in Quebec and bought one and brought on board and put it on ourselves. The mattress was in terrible condition.

This is true. We had 5 cabins in my family group on Adventure this past August. 3 of the cabins had the new, hard mattresses, and 2 had the older, more comfortable ones. I had the hard kind . It was terrible. I'm sure that after the dry-dock, all of Adventure's beds will be the new, hard type.

This is true. We had 5 cabins in my family group on Adventure this past August. 3 of the cabins had the new, hard mattresses, and 2 had the older, more comfortable ones. I had the hard kind . It was terrible. I'm sure that after the dry-dock, all of Adventure's beds will be the new, hard type.

Or as some folks might see it...3 had the nice firm, good-for-your-back mattresses, and 2 had the squishy, spongy ones... :D

This brief piece from WEBMD illustrates that one type doesn't fit all...but given the choice...firm wins out...

How to Pick Your Perfect Mattress

FROM THE WEBMD ARCHIVES

Getting a good night's sleep depends on a lot of different factors -- comfort, stress level, room temperature – but to get it right, you've got to start with the basics and your mattress is the first building block to a restful slumber.

If you're in the market for a new mattress and have recently taken a stroll down the aisle of a bedding store, you know that there is a dizzying array from which to choose. How do you know which mattress is best for you?

"If the mattress is too firm, it will push on those main pressure points and take you out of alignment," Shamie tells WebMD. "If it's too soft, those pressure points won't be properly supported, so your whole body flops back." Both of these scenarios can lead to an achy morning.

Generally speaking, one type of bed isn't better than another, says Michael Breus, PhD, a WebMD sleep expert. But he does find that a firmer bed seems to be better for people with lower back pain.

In fact, researchers in Spain studied people with long-term back pain and found that on a 10-point hard-to-soft scale people who slept on a medium-to-firm mattress (5.6 on the scale) had less back pain than those who slept on a softer mattress.

This brief piece from WEBMD illustrates that one type doesn't fit all...but given the choice...firm wins out...

I get your point. However, my husband prefers a very firm mattress. Even he found the beds to be way too hard. They really are beyond what most would consider firm.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I get your point. However, my husband prefers a very firm mattress. Even he found the beds to be way too hard. They really are beyond what most would consider firm.

Yeah...I think we've established they have a wide range of firmness out there.

Perhaps we've been fortunate that we've never had an issue getting a too-soft one nor overly-hard one.

Perhaps we've been fortunate that we've never had an issue getting a too-soft one nor overly-hard one.

If you have any future cruises booked I think your luck is about to run out. Practice sleeping on your wooden floor cause carpet is cheating.

If you have any future cruises booked I think your luck is about to run out. Practice sleeping on your wooden floor cause carpet is cheating.

That's about right! LOL![emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by khm1

Whom exactly do you call to make the request? The regular Royal Caribbean number?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, just the regular number and I tell them I want a mattress topper. Just did it for our next 2 cruises in Oct and Nov

I will say, I don't get the topper so much b/c I think the bed is hard, we actually think they are pretty comfortable. We get it so that every time I roll towards DH I don't hit the split in the middle of the bed from putting the 2 twins together. With the topper, I don't fell that crack in the bed at all!

Edited by karena1

Just returned from Liberty yesterday. Despite requesting a mattress topper in advance AND receiving a confirmation e-mail, the topper was not on our bed. However, I requested one from our cabin steward, and he immediately handled it. Bed was so comfortable after it was added! It was in fact an egg crate type topper.

I requested a mattress topper for our November cruise on the Serenade and received confirmation that we will get one.

Does anyone know if it makes a difference what category of cabin you are in? We will be in a Grand Suite and on our last cruise the bed was horrible to the point that when I woke up the first morning I could hardly walk. I told the room attendant and he folded some blankets to make it softer.

I don't think it matters what type of cabin you are booked in. From these boards, I'm gathering that some of the requests make it to the cabin steward - others do not. Ours never have regardless of the cruise line. We've always had to request it again once we boarded. See my previous post. And some times they are all gone, so the steward uses a comforter or blanket to make one. Good luck!

I don't think it matters what type of cabin you are booked in. From these boards, I'm gathering that some of the requests make it to the cabin steward - others do not. Ours never have regardless of the cruise line. We've always had to request it again once we boarded. See my previous post. And some times they are all gone, so the steward uses a comforter or blanket to make one. Good luck!

Thank you for your response! I will cross my fingers and hope!! LOL :eek:

Thank you for your response! I will cross my fingers and hope!! LOL :eek:

Even if there are no toppers left, the steward will do all he/she can to make the bed more comfortable. They always have for us. Enjoy your cruise! I've just returned from our latest one yesterday - I am so exhausted I can barely function at work!!

Feeling worried about this, I just went online and requested on for our upcoming Christmas Cruise on the Oasis. Fingers crossed!

Where did you do this online? Link Please, I have never seen it :confused:

We cruised on Anthem and the beds were hard as a rock!! Sounds like the whole fleet has these hard memory foam mattresses.:eek:

Where did you do this online? Link Please, I have never seen it :confused:

We cruised on Anthem and the beds were hard as a rock!! Sounds like the whole fleet has these hard memory foam mattresses.:eek:

We are on the same cruise together!! I submitted my request at special_needs@rccl.com and they responded back to me in 4 days.

See you in just over a month!! :D

We just returned from a sailing on Aventure of the Seas. The mattress was so hard and uncomfortable. I asked the room steward for an egg crate and he said they don't have them anymore. He put an extra pad on the bed but it didn't help. Maybe by asking in advance they can do something. Adventure is in dry dock now. I hope they get new mattresses!