Airlie Beach, Qld, shorex ?

NSWP

G'day again sports fans. Any of you called in to Airlie Beach Qld by cruise ship? If so what varieties of shorex are there? Calling in there on QM2 in March, enroute Sydney to HK.

Uncle Les has called into Cairns and Townsville, but not ye olde Airlie Beach for a day.

Tell you one thing, swimming with the 'noah's arks' is outsville for this little black duck.

Edited by NSWP

No sharks up here. Crocs ate em all!

Still, March is jelly season..., now that IS something to avoid.

Whisper, whisper, I won't tell the 2000 odd poms on board QM2, they might like to have a dip in ye olde Coral Sea, noah's, jellies, chickens and all. LOL.

My grand daughter is at JCU - Townsville, studying to be a vet, she told me about the lubbly jubbly jellies up there.

Hi Les,

I've been to Airlie Beach a couple of times recently and each time just wandered around town. The walk from the marina to town is very pleasant and they had markets set up at the Beach park which were OK. The town itself is a bit touristy but very nice and they have a great town beach which is a huge pool with sand, shallow and deep bits included, sorry though no sharks or jellys!

Each trip they had wonderful ambassadors at the marina and shuttle buses in to town. There is a large "facility" at the marina which can feed and water you if you wish and a stroll around the moored boats can be in interesting too ($$$).

Be on deck somewhere for the sail in (early rise!) and sail away, it's really pretty.

Steve.

G'day again sports fans. Any of you called in to Airlie Beach Qld by cruise ship? If so what varieties of shorex are there? Calling in there on QM2 in March, enroute Sydney to HK.

Uncle Les has called into Cairns and Townsville, but not ye olde Airlie Beach for a day.

Tell you one thing, swimming with the 'noah's arks' is outsville for this little black duck.

As someone who lives an hour away from Airlie, I have to say there isn't much to do there. As Steve said you can wander around town, have lunch but that's about it. I would suggest if there were tours that took you to Hamilton Island or Whitehaven Beach, that would be the go. Much better time to be had there than hanging around in Airlie :)

Steve, did you tender into Able Point Marina? We have some cruise companions who will be on a ship stopping in there next month we were thought we might pick them up in our boat, weather permitting.

As someone who lives an hour away from Airlie, I have to say there isn't much to do there. As Steve said you can wander around town, have lunch but that's about it. I would suggest if there were tours that took you to Hamilton Island or Whitehaven Beach, that would be the go. Much better time to be had there than hanging around in Airlie :)

Steve, did you tender into Able Point Marina? We have some cruise companions who will be on a ship stopping in there next month we were thought we might pick them up in our boat, weather permitting.

We have always tendered into Able Point Marina.:) As you say, there isn't that much to do in town. By the time people can get off the ship and arrive in town, the day trips will all have departed. This is one port where it is probably worthwhile booking a tour through the ship's shore excursions office.

We did tender in to Able Point Marina, where some rather flash boats were tied up. The two different companies we cruised with did offer some excursions, whitehaven beach was one, out to the reef another an area trip and I think a run to a Coffee plantation.

Steve.

Thanks all for the advice and we can also visit the local bottle shop to replenish ones's liquid refreshments, for cabin medicinal purposes as Cunard within reason pemits BYO and the road ahead to HK is a long hot one. LOL.

Ye gods, I forgot...one could wander the town of Airlie Beach and look at the flora and fauna, inc all those foreign back packers !! LOL.

We were on the Diamond Princess en route to Singapore April 2015 and called into Airlie Beach. We were tendered into Able Point Marina where the tour buses met us. DH and I went on a tour to a coffee plantation near Proserpine and a visit to the historical museum at Proserpine.

I must say I enjoyed the coffee plantation much more than the museum, although DH thoroughly enjoyed the museum. We found the coffee plantation very interesting. It was a pleasant drive through the sugar cane fields there and back to Airlie Beach. The coach driver was a local and had a wealth of information about the area. Those who wanted to look at the market in Airlie Beach were dropped off and the remaining passengers returned to Able Point Marina. We spent the afternoon on our balcony enjoying the view of Airlie Beach and surrounding area.

Leigh

Our family did the crocodile safari from Airlie because the outer reef seas were to rough to go snorkeling out there. It was a good day of Aussie fun with a bbq lunch including barramundi and damper with golden syrup. Saw lots of crocs in the wild whilst in a boat up the river. It was our second choice, with no regrets. The staff were very informative.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Newby58. My husband and daughter are doing the reef trip (weather permitting) and my grown son and I are doing the crocodile trip. Is the boat packed full or is there enough room to sit comfortably?

Swissmiss, plenty of room. They supply bug spray too, really necessary if you are going in summer. P.S. The flushing sound in the loo is a ruse. It's a septic tank. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm going to Airlie Beach with Princess in January - they're offering a Barrier Reef day and other excursions. I'm doing a "Sail the Whitsundays" day-long catamaran cruise - hopefully it'll be good. Might be a good option if there is not too much to do in Airlie Beach itelf :).

Booked a few shorex on QM2 for March in Borneo & Vietnam. But I reckon the go for us in Airlie will be to take the Cunard Shuttle Bus into town and have a tour of the local boozeatorium, stocking up on necessary adult beverages for the sea journey to HK.

Love that word 'adult beverage' I learned that from the North Americans.

Edited by NSWP