Cheap cruises in South America

mugtech

Surprised at the prices for the Sun in South America this year the 11/2 cruise of 17 days San Diego to Chile is listed at $599 inside. The 10 day Buenos Aires to Rio on 12/3 is $299 and the return 10 days Rio to BA on 12/13 is listed at $199 inside and ocean view. Gotta wonder if this will mean South America will be dropped again soon. Those cruises are more than 30 days out, so all of the promos are available.

Could be because Visas are going to be difficult to come by for Brazil as long as the country's foreign ministry is dealing with a worker strike (no visas at all are indefinitely being issued). That doesn't account for the San Diego to Chile leg, but it would account for the leg going to Rio.

Mix that with the negative publicity Rio had during the Olympics (Copacabana beach being right around the bend from where raw sewage is dumped into the water) I'm sure people are not lining up in droves to see Rio as much anymore on an already niche itinerary.

Edited by cssc123

Could be because Visas are going to be difficult to come by for Brazil as long as the country's foreign ministry is dealing with a worker strike (no visas at all are indefinitely being issued). That doesn't account for the San Diego to Chile leg, but it would account for the leg going to Rio.

Mix that with the negative publicity Rio had during the Olympics (Copacabana beach being right around the bend from where raw sewage is dumped into the water) I'm sure people are not lining up in droves to see Rio as much anymore on an already niche itinerary.

Those are certainly good reasons, but I would think some Brazilians would jump at those prices. Don't they have an EU type of deal that other South American passports are all that is required for entry, no visas? Because of flight connections I would think North Americans would have done their planning a few months ago. Wonder if anyone had to cancel for lack of visas and if the usual penalties applied. Perhaps Manta, Ecuador, would be a better place to use, since no visa required.

Surprised at the prices for the Sun in South America this year the 11/2 cruise of 17 days San Diego to Chile is listed at $599 inside. The 10 day Buenos Aires to Rio on 12/3 is $299 and the return 10 days Rio to BA on 12/13 is listed at $199 inside and ocean view. Gotta wonder if this will mean South America will be dropped again soon. Those cruises are more than 30 days out, so all of the promos are available.

That's a bargain. Thanks for the heads up.

I've booked the 2nd November cruise, but chose to bypass all itineraries that include Brazil due to the difficulties obtaining a tourist visa. They probably need to target the market that won't need tourist visas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But, actually, these fares are presumably for guarantee cabins, which don't include promos.
Fares for these sailings are way down across pretty much all categories. In fact for the two 10-day cruises that the OP mentioned, you can get any inside category for $299 (including one perk) and any OV for $399 (including two perks). That is outrageously cheap, but I guess they won't let you board in BA if you don't have travel docs for Brazil. :(

Fares for these sailings are way down across pretty much all categories. In fact for the two 10-day cruises that the OP mentioned, you can get any inside category for $299 (including one perk) and any OV for $399 (including two perks). That is outrageously cheap, but I guess they won't let you board in BA if you don't have travel docs for Brazil. :(

I'm on a 7-night from BA to Rio at the end of March, and the prices are a little higher. But sailing solo I'm in an assigned with free Internet and gratuities for about $900. I think that's more than fair. But in January I'm going to have to work four tens two weeks so I can go down to San Francisco to get my visa.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Well my husband works for an airline and I just received a email for interline rates. The 12/3 and 12/13 10 day cruise on the Sun is $10/$20/$60 (inside/OV/Balcony):eek: YES that's the actual amount plus the taxes/fees-but those rates do not qualify for any of the extras. I was about to get excited and show hubby but I have never been to south america and didn't know I would need a visa.

Can someone explain the visa issue? I have a US passport and an Ecuadorian passport, but the only friend I think I could convince to take this trip with me only had a US passport.

U.S. citizens traveling to Brazil are required to have a visa affixed to their passports that permits entry to Brazil:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/brazil.html

Brazil requires U.S. citizens to carry a valid U.S. passport and visa when traveling to Brazil for any purpose. You must obtain your Brazilian visa in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or consulate nearest to your place of residence in the United States

Your consulate will vary depending on where you live in the U.S. I live in Oregon, so my consulate is in San Francisco. (Lucky me, as that is 600 miles away.) Procedures seem to vary based on location. Here's the map:

http://cgwashington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/jurisdictions.xml

Here is all the information for obtaining a visa from the Brazilian consulate in San Francisco: Essentially I do the application online, make an appointment online, deliver my passport and paperwork and a Priority Mail return envelope (which takes about 10 minutes) at my designated appointment time, and then just wait for the passport to come back in the mail.

http://saofrancisco.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visa_mandatory_instructions.xml

I'm actually glad that I dug a little deeper to answer this question, because I thought I had to go to San Francisco twice. Now that I know I only have to do it once, it isn't such a hassle.

Good luck!

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Earlier today I went into a travel agency and asked about the Brazil visa. They told me it was a 5 week turn around. Too long to be without your passport. The consulate is in Canberra, 10 hours drive away to a city I'm not familiar with. It would cost around $360. All too hard! I'm pretty sure it is only valid for 12 months in Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Brazilian visas for US citizens are good for 10 years. I hired a visa service to go to the consulate for me, so I did not have to travel 10 hours to Houston. From the time I sent the package to the service, I had my passport back within 2 weeks. But it is my understanding that the different consulates have different requirements and wait times. The visas cost $160, and I paid the visa service about $65. That was much cheaper than traveling to the consulate city. It was all pretty painless.

Well my husband works for an airline and I just received a email for interline rates. The 12/3 and 12/13 10 day cruise on the Sun is $10/$20/$60 (inside/OV/Balcony):eek: YES that's the actual amount plus the taxes/fees-but those rates do not qualify for any of the extras. I was about to get excited and show hubby but I have never been to south america and didn't know I would need a visa.

Cruise lines and airlines have a reciprocal agreement such that any unsold inventory of cabins or airline seats are sold to their "partners" at very deep discounts. These aren't available to the general public but are "perks" for cruise or airline employees. That's why cruise ships sail full and there are no "last minute" walk up deals to be had. Enjoy !

Edited by The Other Tom

Brazilian visas for US citizens are good for 10 years. I hired a visa service to go to the consulate for me, so I did not have to travel 10 hours to Houston. From the time I sent the package to the service, I had my passport back within 2 weeks. But it is my understanding that the different consulates have different requirements and wait times. The visas cost $160, and I paid the visa service about $65. That was much cheaper than traveling to the consulate city. It was all pretty painless.

May I ask which visa service you used? There seems to be quite a variation in price; $65 is the cheapest I have seen!

Sent from my iPad using Forums