NYC Metro Pass Question

nyfeds

When we go back and play tourist, we will often help those who are lost or are in need of directions. However, we're rusty with the metro system and often times rely on others to point us in the right direction of which train(s) to take. All part of the NY adventure. Our preference is to walk wherever and whenever possible. Hoping for crisp, beautiful NY Fall! ;)

Denise

I remember my first visit to NYC in 1964 ... life on the subway was a real adventure. I'm still trying to figure out how I got to the Metropolitan Museum of Art because I remember getting off the subway and walking UPHILL ... there IS no uphill! But that's my memory ...

Mura

Thanks, Denise, but my Mom would have said I'm typical of the people she met when she was traveling here alone.

People couldn't wait to help her.

But NY does get an undeserved bad press!

My office was in the Wall Street area and I often encountered people with their green Michelin books who clearly didn't know where to go. I would ask if I could help and they would look at me as they were terrified I was going to mug them.

Then they looked again and figured I was safe. It helped that I could usually speak at least some of their language....

Mura

I guess we just got more bad press in those days because there was more newspapers. Think at one time we had eight and the only way they sold papers was to show the bad things. Blazing headlines of dead bodies and major crime figures, etc. Also NY seems to run at a very fast pace, more than most city's and tourists are not use to that. We have been talking about the trains and metro cards, but does anyone remember the trolley's. Had quite a few of them in Brooklyn in the 40,s and 50.s For the most part New Yorker's are good people and always have been. :):)

I guess we just got more bad press in those days because there was more newspapers. Think at one time we had eight and the only way they sold papers was to show the bad things. Blazing headlines of dead bodies and major crime figures, etc. Also NY seems to run at a very fast pace, more than most city's and tourists are not use to that. We have been talking about the trains and metro cards, but does anyone remember the trolley's. Had quite a few of them in Brooklyn in the 40,s and 50.s For the most part New Yorker's are good people and always have been. :):)

I agree with your comments! There has been and continues to be major crime in the LA area, north of where we live. I feel more safe in NY, actually.

Yes, NY can be a bit overwhelming to tourists who are not used to the pace and "attitude." We've been living in SOCAL since 1970. The pace here is much slower and we always welcome the "rush" of the City we love and miss. We have never lost our "NY edge." It is ingrained in us for life. There are times we wish we could move back, but family keeps us planted here.

I am not of the "trolly era." The late 50's and 60's were magical times living in NY for me! :) Especially, the Village, which I always return to when visiting ;)

Denise

I remember my first visit to NYC in 1964 ... life on the subway was a real adventure. I'm still trying to figure out how I got to the Metropolitan Museum of Art because I remember getting off the subway and walking UPHILL ... there IS no uphill! But that's my memory ...

Mura

:) The metro is always an adventure, which we will partake in next month! All part of the NY adventure!

Nope, no uphill to the Museum, which is one of the most fabulous museums on the planet!

Denise

Great, makes you think of all the good times. My mom grew up on Brighton 13th street half block from Brighton Beach Ave. and Brighton Beach baths. Spent a lot of time there. :):):)

Fond memories -- :) Went to PS225 - which is still there.