Princess Insurance

hollon

We have three people in our cabin, and if we choose Princess's Ins., the third person is only 61.00 as the first two people are something like 167.00,

Is it because we paid a higher price for our cabin and the third person was cheaper

There are two different insurance, Platinum and Standard one that charges more and the other one less, in yalls experiences, which would you choose or should I go w/ other company? any suggestions

We have three people in our cabin, and if we choose Princess's Ins., the third person is only 61.00 as the first two people are something like 167.00,

Is it because we paid a higher price for our cabin and the third person was cheaper

There are two different insurance, Platinum and Standard one that charges more and the other one less, in yalls experiences, which would you choose or should I go w/ other company? any suggestions

Princess insurance is a percentage of the fare, so that's why the third is less expensive. We take the Platinum because it has a 'cancel for any reason' provision that returns 100% of the fare as a cruise credit. 'Course being Elite gives us a free upgrade to the Platinum version too.

If you are going to chose the Princess Vacation Protection the difference in the cost for the Platinum is certainly worth having double the coverage for medical evacuation.

Princess bases the cost of its insurance on a percentage of cruise fare, which is why the third person in the cabin pays less--the cancel for any reason coverage has a lower value. If your main concern is the coverage for cancelling due to medical reasons, the lookback for pre-existing conditions is only 60 days from the date the insurance is paid for Princess Vacation Protection. Many outside policies require purchase simultaneous with or within a few days of making your cruise deposit in order to waive pre-existing conditions, so how long it has been since your booking date is a factor in finding a policy without a six month lookback.

If looking for the best policy for medical evacuation, most base their premium on age. So if you are under, say, 55 you will probably find another policy much less than Princess'. But over, say, 75 the Princess cost based on fare value rather than age will likely be the least expensive out there.

If you are fine with the cost and don't want to shop around, just purchase the Princess Vacation Protection at the time of final payment--as long as you haven't been sick the previous 60 days.

Edited by fishywood

If you are going to chose the Princess Vacation Protection the difference in the cost for the Platinum is certainly worth having double the coverage for medical evacuation.

Princess bases the cost of its insurance on a percentage of cruise fare, which is why the third person in the cabin pays less--the cancel for any reason coverage has a lower value. If your main concern is the coverage for cancelling due to medical reasons, the lookback for pre-existing conditions is only 60 days from the date the insurance is paid for Princess Vacation Protection. Many outside policies require purchase simultaneous with or within a few days of making your cruise deposit in order to waive pre-existing conditions, so how long it has been since your booking date is a factor in finding a policy without a six month lookback.

If looking for the best policy for medical evacuation, most base their premium on age. So if you are under, say, 55 you will probably find another policy much less than Princess'. But over, say, 75 the Princess cost based on fare value rather than age will likely be the least expensive out there.

If you are fine with the cost and don't want to shop around, just purchase the Princess Vacation Protection at the time of final payment--as long as you haven't been sick the previous 60 days.

I guess really we want the ins b/c my mom will be 90 yrs. old when we cruise, I pray nothing will happen to her while we are away,

also, if we get sick for some odd reason,

People going are me, 50, my sister 52 and my other sister 68. She is the only one who could get sick, she has diabetes, but its under control.

So your saying nobody can have an illness 60 days prior going w/ princess before we pay?

So your saying nobody can have an illness 60 days prior going w/ princess before we pay?

To use your mom as an example as you mention she is the main insurance concern: Say your mom is hospitalized with pneumonia right before your cruise so you have to cancel. When you file with Princess Vacation Protection you just have to provide her doctor's statement that she did not have pneumonia during the 60 days prior to the coverage effective date. Any other medical issues other than the exact one causing the claim are immaterial. Same with your sister: if she feels ill on the ship and visits the doctor, to be reimbursed she only needs document that she had no acute crisis during the 60 day lookback; taking maintenance meds for diabetes is not considered an issue.

Before you purchase the coverage thru Princess, compare policies and prices with private companies. One good site to use to compare is insuremytrip.com. Depending on your ages and the amount of coverage you are purchasing, you can often get better prices by going private while increasing the coverage.

Also consider whether you wish to cover the airfare or any other non-refundable items; Princess will cover only what you book thru Princess. Another point which doesn't apply to you but may help others--many private companies provide a free child's policy for each parent or grandparent policy purchased.

Be sure you have sufficient medical coverage and medical evacuation coverage. My health insurance excludes all care outside the US; that can add up really quickly.

You commented that the only person who might sick is the one with diabetes...not necessarily so. I saw a young guy fall on board and sustain a compound fracture. He and a parent were evacuated to a Nassau hospital (YIKES!) Anything can happen at any time.

...You commented that the only person who might sick is the one with diabetes...not necessarily so. I saw a young guy fall on board and sustain a compound fracture. He and a parent were evacuated to a Nassau hospital (YIKES!) Anything can happen at any time.

I was thinking the very same thing!

Try squaremouth.com and you can see different quotes for any and all types of insurance - we have found we get more coverage for less than the one offered by Princess and we are elite so we automatically get their platinum.

Tinley is a great company and we have used them many times thru squaremouth - my husband had a kidney stone attack on the ship ( the care was excellent as I am a medical professional ) and we reimbursed for everything immediately.

good luck and happy sailing...

eclue:rolleyes:

To use your mom as an example as you mention she is the main insurance concern: Say your mom is hospitalized with pneumonia right before your cruise so you have to cancel. When you file with Princess Vacation Protection you just have to provide her doctor's statement that she did not have pneumonia during the 60 days prior to the coverage effective date. Any other medical issues other than the exact one causing the claim are immaterial. Same with your sister: if she feels ill on the ship and visits the doctor, to be reimbursed she only needs document that she had no acute crisis during the 60 day lookback; taking maintenance meds for diabetes is not considered an issue.

Thanks for the "putting it in a story" it makes it easier for me to understand

Thank you, all this has helped! :)

So, when they ask how much ins you want, do I add in the cruise, flts and excursions we do (Not w/ Princess) as well? How much medical and evacuation should I get?

Insure any costs that are non-refundable. If you can cancel and get your money back, for instance hotels, it is not necessary to include them. So be sure to understand the cancellation policy of anything you book.

Medical evacuation is somewhat dependent on where you are going - $25,000 is probably the minimun. If you are going to Europe or some remote area, consider more.

Call and talk to an agent (insuremytrip.com or others named here) and talk to an agent. Be sure to expalin about your mother so that your policy covers pre-existing for family members not travelling with you, if that applies to your situation.

Also, meds for diabetes or any other condition are an issue if they have been changed during the look-back period - whether it is a dosage adjustment of an existing med or a new one.

One more thing, Medicare does not cover medical costs outside the US so the 68 year old traveler definitely needs comprehensive travel insurance.

Sounds complicated, but knowing what to ask helps when you call. Good luck.

Edited by Babr

Thank you, all this has helped! :)

So, when they ask how much ins you want, do I add in the cruise, flts and excursions we do (Not w/ Princess) as well? How much medical and evacuation should I get?

Private insurance is generally sold in $500 increments on a "per person" basis. Figure in how much you paid for the cruise and any NON-Refundable stuff. If you can cancel your hotel up to 6pm the day of check in, don't count that. If you booked thru a resell service, paid up front, and can't cancel--count that. Flights...can you change the flight for a $50 fee? In that case, your loss would be only $50. On the other hand, if the flight is non-refundable, count the entire cost.

Most companies sell a very basic policy. You probably don't want this one. For a very little more investment, you can upgrade to a mid or high level policy with the same company. That's where I look. My concerns are evacuation and medical costs. Going from the low end to the mid level will typically double these limits or even add more. I could afford to lose the cost of the cruise (wouldn't be happy, but could afford it.) The $100K medical bill would be a different story!

Check prices elsewhere.

The difference in Platinum and Standard are the coverage amounts. When comparing for choice, you may include other 3rd party insurance on coverage limits.

Travel/Trip insurance are not only for medical exigency. It is also for other fortuitous events that may affect the travel of anyone, regardless of age.

Even if she did have pneumonia within the 60 days prior to paying for the insurance the cancel for any reason would cover that in this situation. It may not be fully refundable in cash but you would get a credit for a future cruise for the non refundable portion. The new cruise would need to be taken prior to the end of the following year.

I would not recommend Princess' insurance for the stated reason above that it covers only the cruise but also cruise line insurance is usually more expensive and has lower coverages but moreover the conflict of interest of insuring their own cruise.

Use the shopper websites mentioned to find the coverages and price that is best for your group but buy directly from the travel provider because in the case of a claim you will be dealing directly with the provider--a shopper comparison site is not going to service your claim.

We found that CSA had the best pre existing conditions options (for your sister w/ diabetes) and most flexible time for buying. Read this https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide/

When is your final payment with Princess? the http://www.csatravelprotection.com website has some plans listed but we called CSA after reading the Diabetes Council article and CSA has reps that can advise you. Good customer service.

I would not recommend Princess' insurance for the stated reason above that it covers only the cruise but also cruise line insurance is usually more expensive and has lower coverages but moreover the conflict of interest of insuring their own cruise.

Most independent insurance cost is age based, so Princess may cost more for younger people and less for older people.

Princess is not insuring their own cruise. It is insurance from an independent insurance company that Princess sells for.

Generally I do not recommend Princess insurance as the coverage is pretty low ($20K medical doesn't cover much these days). Though - the cruise is mostly in Alaska except for the time in Vancouver and most people's insurance for American's is covered through out Alaska so I don't need insurance to cover ports outside of the US. And even Vancouver to the US is a short drive or flight.

Just want to tell my experience with cruise line insurance. 5 months ago I got an infection while in the Baltic on a Celebrity cruise. The ship doctor prescribed medications. When I got home I called the insurance company and was told that I must first file with my health insurance company which is a Medicare company. Medicare paid part of the bill, then the cruise insurance paid all the rest. So, maybe if you are treated onboard, Medicare pays.

Just want to tell my experience with cruise line insurance. 5 months ago I got an infection while in the Baltic on a Celebrity cruise. The ship doctor prescribed medications. When I got home I called the insurance company and was told that I must first file with my health insurance company which is a Medicare company. Medicare paid part of the bill, then the cruise insurance paid all the rest. So, maybe if you are treated onboard, Medicare pays.

Was it a Medicare supplement insurance? I have submitted receipts for ships for my Mom who used Medicare and they were rejected. She did not have a supplemental company (they may pay). Medicare through the government does not pay outside of US or even in the US on a ship (our cruise was in the US on a ship - Alaska).