What happens at the end of boarding?

TravelinGert

Hi there

It was a number of years ago, we were still willing to fly in on debarkation day.

We had a flight arriving at FLL with a Carnival cruise leaving from POM. We had booked the transfer with the Carnival shuttle. (We don't do that anymore either)

Our flight wasn't an early morning one, but we did arrive on time with plenty of time to get to the port. I found the Carnival rep., all was good, she said that the bus wouldn't be too long getting there. She came out of the airport to wait with us. We were the only people there with her. So we waited and waited, finally she made a call...she said they had some problem but would be along soon. We waited some more but still no bus. I was now getting a little worried, but realized we could still get there with a taxi if needed. I spoke with the rep again, she made some calls then apologized for the delay, but reassured me and said they would hold the ship for us.

Sure enough the bus finally arrived. I never did ask the reason for the delay, but there were other people already on the bus (this also surprised me) going to other ships. It was a smaller shuttle bus, not one of the large tour bus types.

They dropped us off, the porter took our bag, they asked us to hurry. There was nobody in the terminal. I have never seen it like that. There was one lady waiting for us to check in. (no waiting :)) Right onto the ship (no photo guys :)) We didn't get to the elevators, when they started sounding for the muster drill. They did hold the ship slightly for us, and this is as late as I would want to arrive for a cruise.

Most folks learn after the first time :). Bottom line is that whenever you plan on flying into a departure port the day of a cruise, you are running a risk of missing the ship or perhaps making the ship without your luggage.

Many experienced cruisers have suggested here on CC, that all passengers fly in AT LEAST one day early. If that is truly not possible we suggest finding another cruise that leaves on a date...where you can arrive at least a day early. And if flying out of the Northern USA or Canada during the winter..or flying to a far away embarkation ports such as in Europe or Asia...we think that 2 + days early is wise.

Hank

You are right and I now fly a day or two early. Two missed sailaways are enough. I also always get insurance to cover any issues.

Gail

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We live about 90 minutes from Port Canaveral (close enough that a couple times a year we hop into the roadster and drive out to have some dinner while we watch the cruise ships leave), a couple hours from Tampa, 2.5 hours from Jax, and 3.5-4 hours from Fort Lauderdale/Miami. We will drive day of (leaving a lot of time for traffic, diversions, mechanical problems, etc.) to any of those ports. But anywhere further and we are going the night before or more. If we need to cross the Atlantic or Pacific we are going to get there at least two days before we sail.

Hi,

The only time we have got to where we are sailing from and not at least a day or two before was last October, we flew from Las Vegas to San Francisco on an early morning flight, this would have left us plenty of time to get to the port but I was still apprehensive. We left Las Vegas on time but it was Fleet Week and President Obama had just flown into San Francisco. We had to wait over an hour on the tarmac before we even got to the stand, the airport was packed and we had to wait for luggage for ages.

The taxi ride then took much longer to the port because the traffic was terrible due to Fleet Week. We didn't have too long before they closed the check in.

My stress level was HIGH.

Pete

Has anyone been among the last few to board a cruise? I'm just wondering do they for instance ever close boarding early if the boarding area is empty? What about someone walking up to the counter where sea pass cards are issued five minutes to the end time specified? Would they get that person on and close? What about if there were a line of people in the boarding area that have been waiting since well before the specified end of boarding. Would they close the doors and then just make sure those people got on board?

Context: Spouse and I have always gotten a room near the port the night before, then just drove over. We can take one more cruise per year if we instead fly in the same day. Of course we would fly in as early as possible, but we wondered what happens if our flight were delayed. We always set our sights on being one of the earliest to board so we have no idea what happens later in boarding.

You have received lots of responses, and certainly your original question is answered, they don't close boarding until official boarding time ends.

There could be weather related exceptions, but we are going to go with normally.

Would it be possible for you to at least get a late flight out the day before?

I don't know what part of Texas you are in, but Houston and Dallas quite often have delayed or cancelled flights due to weather conditions both near and far. I'm just thinking that may give you a tad bit of wiggle room if you could fly the afternoon or evening before the day you board.